PDA

View Full Version : If Pisa is signed, who plays were at LB?

yordad
05-16-2009, 07:47 PM
I'm kinda just thinking out loud here....I know, I know, he is going to replace Ellison as a starting LB (If signed). But, Pisa has been playing the WLB, while Mitchell has been playing that in B-lo. Mitchell has experience at MLB (right?), and I believe both Mitchell and Pisa have both played the SAM (I had thought so)? And, many think Poz was a mis-cast when he was put in the middle and maybe should have been a OLB. This may be the Bills opportunity to switch it up if they ever wanted to. So who is going to play where, if Pisa is signed? I mean, is it a fact Pisa will just jump in at the SAM if signed?

It seems to me that is could realistically be any of the three at either OLB (Pisa isn't going play the mid). Between the three, who is better suited for which 4-3 cover-2 LB position?

Exactly what are the different responsibilities, between the Sam and Will? Doesn't a team basically just put a player where they are more comfortable? Obviously, the Sam gets a tight end on his side, but that could work in two different opposite ways. First, it would seem he has to be more agile or fast to keep up with a TE he may be (sometimes a safety) assigned to (which implies lighter). Second, it would seem he has to be stronger and better at shedding blockers (which implies mass) for run defense, because there is usually an extra blocker on his side.

Because of these two characteristics are usually opposing, many teams bring in a third down LB (not always on the strong) who excels in pass protection (obviously).

This would lead one to conclude that a team would want its most athletic LB on the left.

But, these are obviously not the only responsibility of a LB, nor are the responsibility of just one LB. They all have to cover RBs sometimes, take on full-backs, second TEs, or centers, and one other one (obviously) is rushing the QB. With one less blocker (sometimes) on the weak side, more opportunities for sacks come from there. So, speed and power are both equally an asset on the weak side too.

So, if Pisa is signed, it would seem the Bills have a little decision to make. I mean, obviously everyone just assumes he will come in and take over the strong side, but I don't think he has much time logged there.

Mitchell did look good verse the pass at times last year (like the Chargers game were he has a pick and a deflection or two), but other times he was a step too slow in his drop (like when Pennington repeatedly dropping in over his outstretched arms like he was taking a basketball shot).

On the flip side, IMO, Mitchell excelled in rushing the QB when the Bills sent him on a rare blitz.

Now, it isn't like I scouted Pisa or anything, but from what I read, he has been pretty good vs the pass. Heck, as a rookie the guy had 7 passes defensed. The guy even has a 4.65 40yd time (2.63 in 20yd). By all accounts, Poz and Mitchell are in that area too. For further comparison Ellison had a 4.84 (2.81). If you think 1/5th of a second in 20 yards doesn't matter you better think again.

In the end, I think it will be Pisa on the strong, Poz in the mid, and Mitchell on the weak. We will see.

Thoughts or answers?

jimbohastle51
05-16-2009, 07:58 PM
interesting post. i think that your post actually is the best part of what our LB's would look like. we would have alot of flexibility and could move them around, especially with maybin now.

kid mickey
05-16-2009, 08:32 PM
Mitchell would still be Will Poz would still be Mike, Tinoisamoa would play Sam.

diagram shown

FS SS

CB WLB MLB SLB CB
DE DT DT DE

kid mickey
05-16-2009, 08:33 PM
stupid placement crap.I cant ever get diagrams to work...

Lexwhat
05-16-2009, 09:18 PM
Yordad: To be honest, I doubt this clueless coaching staff would even think as deeply as you.

Russ: "Dick, we signed Pisa."

Dick: "What? I wanted another Cornerback though."

Russ: "He's a linebacker, Dick"

Dick: "Can we move him to Safety?"

Russ: "Leave him at linebacker, Dick"

Dick: "Oh. Maybe he can replace Boss Bailey. I mean Angelo Crowell."

Russ: "Angelo Crowell isn't on the team anymore. Pisa replaces Ellison."

Dick: "You sure we can't move him to safety? I really like Keith Ellison. He's a good solid player with a high motor who never quits."

SeatownBillsFan21
05-16-2009, 09:22 PM
Sound about right

yordad
05-16-2009, 09:48 PM
Does anyone know how much experience any of the three have on the strong side?

kid mickey
05-17-2009, 11:25 AM
Tinoisamoa has played our strong side position his entire career. For just about every other team that would be the weak side.

theanswer74
05-17-2009, 11:28 AM
Sorry I didnt read the whole thing, but with Pisa, Poz, and Mitchell you can do so many things. You have 3 good blitzing LB's, 2 good coverage LB's, 2 OLB's that can play any side, and all of them are good in run support.

bflobarry
05-17-2009, 11:29 AM
I'm kinda just thinking out loud here....I know, I know, he is going to replace Ellison as a starting LB (If signed). But, Pisa has been playing the WLB, while Mitchell has been playing that in B-lo. Mitchell has experience at MLB (right?), and I believe both Mitchell and Pisa have both played the SAM (I had thought so)? And, many think Poz was a mis-cast when he was put in the middle and maybe should have been a OLB. This may be the Bills opportunity to switch it up if they ever wanted to. So who is going to play where, if Pisa is signed? I mean, is it a fact Pisa will just jump in at the SAM if signed?

It seems to me that is could realistically be any of the three at either OLB (Pisa isn't going play the mid). Between the three, who is better suited for which 4-3 cover-2 LB position?

Exactly what are the different responsibilities, between the Sam and Will? Doesn't a team basically just put a player where they are more comfortable? Obviously, the Sam gets a tight end on his side, but that could work in two different opposite ways. First, it would seem he has to be more agile or fast to keep up with a TE he may be (sometimes a safety) assigned to (which implies lighter). Second, it would seem he has to be stronger and better at shedding blockers (which implies mass) for run defense, because there is usually an extra blocker on his side.

Because of these two characteristics are usually opposing, many teams bring in a third down LB (not always on the strong) who excels in pass protection (obviously).

This would lead one to conclude that a team would want its most athletic LB on the left.

But, these are obviously not the only responsibility of a LB, nor are the responsibility of just one LB. They all have to cover RBs sometimes, take on full-backs, second TEs, or centers, and one other one (obviously) is rushing the QB. With one less blocker (sometimes) on the weak side, more opportunities for sacks come from there. So, speed and power are both equally an asset on the weak side too.

So, if Pisa is signed, it would seem the Bills have a little decision to make. I mean, obviously everyone just assumes he will come in and take over the strong side, but I don't think he has much time logged there.

Mitchell did look good verse the pass at times last year (like the Chargers game were he has a pick and a deflection or two), but other times he was a step too slow in his drop (like when Pennington repeatedly dropping in over his outstretched arms like he was taking a basketball shot).

On the flip side, IMO, Mitchell excelled in rushing the QB when the Bills sent him on a rare blitz.

Now, it isn't like I scouted Pisa or anything, but from what I read, he has been pretty good vs the pass. Heck, as a rookie the guy had 7 passes defensed. The guy even has a 4.65 40yd time (2.63 in 20yd). By all accounts, Poz and Mitchell are in that area too. For further comparison Ellison had a 4.84 (2.81). If you think 1/5th of a second in 20 yards doesn't matter you better think again.

In the end, I think it will be Pisa on the strong, Poz in the mid, and Mitchell on the weak. We will see.

Thoughts or answers?
Great post. Usually, Teams want beef on the SS, and speed on the weak. Pisa at 220 lbs on the SS might be a concern. Mitchell will stay weak side. But Pisa probably would have signed by now if he was going to...I still think Ellison is servicable (4 yr pro) if we get Kelsay off the field in front of him. Just my opinion......

TigerJ
05-17-2009, 02:29 PM
I think the Bills do like Poz as the MIKE backer. I am not so certain Mitchell is set in the WILL position. We'll see.