• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheMan08
    Knocks only the living.
    • Oct 2008

Question about Cover 2 Scheme

Isn't it vital for this defense to be based around undersized defenders.

Isn't speed the key to the defense?

So why the constant complaining about Buffalo always getting undersized defenders? I could be wrong but isn't it more about the speed.
  • Mahdi
    • Mar 2004

Re: Question about Cover 2 Scheme

Originally posted by TheMan08

So why the constant complaining about Buffalo always getting undersized defenders? I could be wrong but isn't it more about the speed.
    Yes. This is all correct.

Some of us just cant seem to wrap our heads around that fact which leads to the complaining about our undersized yet faster players.

The problem with our defense has not been that we are undersized, its under-talented.

Maybin is a step in the right direction.

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Mahdi

The problem with our defense has not been that we are undersized, its under-talented.
      It's both.

They sacrifice size for speed, but the speed guys aren't good enough, so we get the worst of both worlds- the disadvantages of being undersized without the advantages of speed.

If we're gonna get guys who suck, they might as well be guys who are at least big enough for their positions.

I hate the Cover 2/Tampa 2 as a base D in general. It's too hard to staff personnel- wise and it requires a Brooks or Warren Sapp- type dominant defender to work properly.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Mahdi
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by OpIv37
        It's both.

They sacrifice size for speed, but the speed guys aren't good enough, so we get the worst of both worlds- the disadvantages of being undersized without the advantages of speed.

If we're gonna get guys who suck, they might as well be guys who are at least big enough for their positions.

I hate the Cover 2/Tampa 2 as a base D in general. It's too hard to staff personnel- wise and it requires a Brooks or Warren Sapp- type dominant defender to work properly.
        Well a 3-4 requires a Casey Hampton and James Harrison to work properly too, so what's yer point?

The problem is that we lack talent in crucial areas of the defense. RDE and LDE. And Im sure the Bills would love to see Spencer Johnson emerge as a penetrator next to Stroud or else upgrade that spot.

Other than that we are solid everywhere else.

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Well a 3-4 requires a Casey Hampton and James Harrison to work properly too, so what's yer point?

The problem is that we lack talent in crucial areas of the defense. RDE and LDE. And Im sure the Bills would love to see Spencer Johnson emerge as a penetrator next to Stroud or else upgrade that spot.

Other than that we are solid everywhere else.
          Disagree.

Outside of Stroud, our whole DL sucks. Our LB's are mediocre- Ellison sucks, Poz gets swallowed by blockers and plays out of position (should be OLB) and Mitchell is feast-or-famine. He either gets a huge play like an INT or does nothing. At S, Whitner is serviceable but the other S spot is a big question mark. And we have no depth. CB is really the only position on D that's actually set and appropriate for the system.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Mahdi
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by OpIv37
            Disagree.

Outside of Stroud, our whole DL sucks. Our LB's are mediocre- Ellison sucks, Poz gets swallowed by blockers and plays out of position (should be OLB) and Mitchell is feast-or-famine. He either gets a huge play like an INT or does nothing. At S, Whitner is serviceable but the other S spot is a big question mark. And we have no depth. CB is really the only position on D that's actually set and appropriate for the system.
            Well I already said that RDE and LDE as well as DT next to Stroud is questionable. So we do agree.

Our LBs are simply a by-product of weak DL play. Poz and Mitchell would be way more effective if our DL could do anything at all.

Whitner is a solid SS, tough to evaluate his skills with a weak DL.

IMO it all comes back to the DL. So if Schobel can come back to his 14.5 sack form and Maybin can deliver early we will see a much more effective Cover 2.

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

Well I already said that RDE and LDE as well as DT next to Stroud is questionable. So we do agree.

Our LBs are simply a by-product of weak DL play. Poz and Mitchell would be way more effective if our DL could do anything at all.

Whitner is a solid SS, tough to evaluate his skills with a weak DL.

IMO it all comes back to the DL. So if Schobel can come back to his 14.5 sack form and Maybin can deliver early we will see a much more effective Cover 2.
              well I'll agree that the front 4 don't do the back 7 any favors. They may look better if they got the proper support from the front.

But at the same time, the DL is what it is. They have to learn how to make plays with a crappy DL because it isn't going to get any better anytime soon.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• TheMan08
                Knocks only the living.
                • Oct 2008

Saint Donteeeeeeee :)

Comment

• justasportsfan
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by TheMan08

Because the system sucks and our coaches don't know how to adjust the schemes on gameday?
                  sacrifice1
                  https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• methos4ever
                    • Apr 2004

It has been said ad nauseum by Dungy, Kiffin and the Tampa style proponents of the cover two one gap system that speed can be taken over size, but if there was someone who had both they would welcome him with open arms. Also, while size is sacrificed, they value power as the tipping point variable with the speed - focusing on their athletes being more conditioned (when in waves) to go all out and be effective, in concert with the backers and secondary. Team hitting is a must.

Some, like Teerlinck the Colts DL coach have an attitude of "stop the run on the way to the QB" which furthers the idea of get there quick enough and you'll blow whatever play (run/pass) up.

It isn't a zero-sum situation where they just want guys who weigh significantly less than their counterparts who can rush in a straight line fast.

I used to have links to provide to the lineman's guide for critics to be educated prior to bashing the system, but most of the sites stopped hosting them. If you really want one, however, pm me and I can see if I can scare one up for you.

If you think it sucks, take a look at teams like the Panthers, Seahawks, Falcons, Bucs, Miami (under Wannstedt), NYJ (Under Edwards), Bears, Packers prior to this year, Vikings....these teams have done it with undersized at all positions/some positions/a few.
                    Last edited by methos4ever; 05-20-2009, 10:39 AM.

Comment

• Mahdi
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                      Because the system sucks and our coaches don't know how to adjust the schemes on gameday?
                      System fine. DL sucks.

Other teams have proven system works.

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by methos4ever
                        It has been said ad nauseum by Dungy, Kiffin and the Tampa style proponents of the cover two one gap system that speed can be taken over size, but if there was someone who had both they would welcome him with open arms. Also, while size is sacrificed, they value power as the tipping point variable with the speed - focusing on their athletes being more conditioned (when in waves) to go all out and be effective, in concert with the backers and secondary. Team hitting is a must.

Some, like Teerlinck the Colts DL coach have an attitude of "stop the run on the way to the QB" which furthers the idea of get there quick enough and you'll blow whatever play (run/pass) up.

It isn't a zero-sum situation where they just want guys who weigh significantly less than their counterparts who can rush in a straight line fast.

I used to have links to provide to the lineman's guide for critics to be educated prior to bashing the system, but most of the sites stopped hosting them. If you really want one, however, pm me and I can see if I can scare one up for you.

If you think it sucks, take a look at teams like the Panthers, Seahawks, Falcons, Bucs, Miami (under Wannstedt), NYJ (Under Edwards), Bears, Packers prior to this year, Vikings....these teams have done it with undersized at all positions/some positions/a few.
                        The problem is the DL. DT's that are fast and not undersized are Warren Sapp and... Warren Sapp. You're pretty much always ceding size at the point of attack, which really sucks in short yardage situations and when the opposing O is trying to kill the clock.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                          Peterman Sucks!
                          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by justasportsfan

Yes, terrible system, only turned the Steelers into a dynasty in the 70's.

Comment

• TigerJ
                            • Jul 2002

The Cover 2 places a premium on speedy linebackers and linemen. No so much on speedy DBs. It doesn't specify that those speedy guys have to be small. The problem is that big speedy guys are few and far between. Occasionally you find a physical freak. Brian Urlacher is big and speedy. So is Mario Williams at DE. You don't find a Brian Urlacher type linebacker in every draft. If you can't find a guy who has all the measurables, then speed is more important than size. If Tinoisamoa is signed and comes in and plays at close to 240, that would be terrific. It would give the Bills a linebacking trio that has good size and at least adequate speed for a Cover 2 defense. Hopefully Tinoisamoa won't get pushed around quite as much as Ellison.
                            I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
                              • May 2007

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
                              Yes, terrible system, only turned the Steelers into a dynasty in the 70's.
                              Yeah but in football the effectiveness of a system constantly changes. Today the 34 defense is having the greatest impact of all.

The Tampa-2 is difficult to adapt and even when it is succesfully adapted it is too soft. In the other hand the 34 is much more easier to run with average talent just as the Cardinals showed last postseason.
                              The Tampa-2 is too predictable and you really have to rely in true talent meanwhile in the 34 system you can confuse and overcome talent with good playcalling.

In the case of the Buffalo Bills we don't have a guy named Vanden Bosch, or Haynesworth, or Mathis, or Freeney, or Brock, or Sapp, or anything like that so it would be better just to make the transition like the Cardinals although I don't think we even have the pieces to make that transition (obviously considering Jauron is married with his Cover-2 scheme).
                              Last edited by Turbo.GUN.Hawk!; 05-21-2009, 09:50 PM.
                              I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

Comment

Working...
                              X