• Show
Clear All
  • psubills62
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2008

Kelsay working with Sanders

I saw this over at bb.com, here's the link to the full article:

Here's a quote from the article that I thought were interesting:

Kelsay has been at the Bills' practice facility since mid-March working hard with new defensive line coach Bob Sanders in an effort to improve his pass rush technique. He believes the new coach will have a positive impact on his production.

"I've been taught some stuff by coach Sanders that seems like common sense in terms of rushing the passer, but it's stuff I've never been taught," he said. "I'm not taking anything away from Tim (Krumrie) or Bill (Kollar) who were great coaches, but coach Sanders tells me, he shows me on the field and then backs it up on the film by showing me guys who look and play similar to me.

"It's something I can buy into because I see it working for other guys who are similar to me — same body build, same type of mentality — and it works for them.''
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: Kelsay working with Sanders

The good: Kelsay is working on his moves and seems committed to improving.

The bad: why the hell didn't he do this years ago?
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

"I'm pretty close with the guys who make up this organization, the guys who make it run, and they're up front and honest with me," Kelsay said following Buffalo's first organized team activity session on Monday. "Unless I'm being lied to, I feel safe."
      what they say and what they do are 2 different things. They used their top draft pick on a DE Chris. You were obviously able to read between the lines which is why you are working hard .

In case you also forgot, Dick always said, no ones job is safe. Everyone has to earn their spot except when choosing his OC's.

With that being said, I hope it works out for you. The better you become the better the team becomes.
      Last edited by justasportsfan; 05-20-2009, 09:47 AM.
      sacrifice1
      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• psubills62
        Legendary Zoner
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by OpIv37

Yeah, I hate to say it, but this seems to be pointing the finger at our old DL coaches. How is it Kelsay's second contract and only now is he hearing this stuff? Either Sanders is really good, or the other guys were really bad. Either way, I like the hire so far...let's see if it can pay out on the field.

It would be great if Sanders can help Kelsay's sacks increase. But what I'm really looking for is for Sanders to help Maybin. I thought Maybin was a huge project before the draft (and still do). But if Sanders is that good of a coach, maybe he can help develop Maybin faster than usual. Hopefully, anyway.
        "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
        - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• TedMock
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37

More importantly - why weren't Krumrie and Kollar doing it? That's what bothers me. The team has certainly lacked talent in areas, but it apparently lacked innovative teaching as well.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
            Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
            • May 2003

If Sanders can get McCargo to play like a 1st round pick, I'll believe he's a true miracle worker.
            Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by TedMock
              More importantly - why weren't Krumrie and Kollar doing it? That's what bothers me. The team has certainly lacked talent in areas, but it apparently lacked innovative teaching as well.
              and I remember a lot of people being happy about getting Kollar too. It's just like McNally on the other side of the ball.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• SabreEleven
                • Aug 2002

"I've been taught some stuff by coach Sanders that seems like common sense in terms of rushing the passer, but it's stuff I've never been taught,"

Wait, what? Common sense in terms of rushing the passer but never taught?
                That doesn't make sense to me. He doesn't sound too bright...Common sense is if you run out of milk, you go to the story to by more. Do you need to taught or told how to buy milk? Common sense means you don't have to be taught something. You know to do it because it makes sense...common sense..
                Last edited by SabreEleven; 05-20-2009, 09:55 AM.

Comment

• Ed
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                  If Sanders can get McCargo to play like a 1st round pick, I'll believe he's a true miracle worker.
                  Well it sounds like McCargo is in better shape, working harder and more dedicated because of the Sanders hire, so this might actually be a real possibility. I think McCargo definitely has the talent and he showed flashes in 07, so maybe Sanders is exactly what he needs. I'm interested to see if McCargo turns a corner this year. I think he's got the best chance to surprise a lot of people this year.

Comment

• Mahdi
                    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by psubills62
                    I saw this over at bb.com, here's the link to the full article:

Here's a quote from the article that I thought were interesting:
                    If Sanders can teach him what he taught Kampman Kelsay might be able to improve his game.

They are almost the exact same size, build and speed. The difference is that Kampman has a powerful inside move that counters his outside rush.

Sanders is probably teaching Kelsay some bull rush techniques and ways to get inside the OT.

Comment

• Mahdi
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Ed
                      Well it sounds like McCargo is in better shape, working harder and more dedicated because of the Sanders hire, so this might actually be a real possibility. I think McCargo definitely has the talent and he showed flashes in 07, so maybe Sanders is exactly what he needs. I'm interested to see if McCargo turns a corner this year. I think he's got the best chance to surprise a lot of people this year.
                      Is there an article about McCargo?

Comment

• Tatonka
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                        what they say and what they do are 2 different things. They used their top draft pick on a DE Chris. You were obviously able to read between the lines which is why you are working hard .

In case you also forgot, Dick always said, no ones job is safe. Everyone has to earn their spot except when choosing his OC's.

With that being said, I hope it works out for you. The better you become the better the team becomes.
                        us picking maybin could be viewed as a possible schobel replacement vs. kelsay. just saying.
                        "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                          • May 2003

Originally posted by Ed
                          I think McCargo - who apparently didn't get along well with Kollar - really likes Sanders. I've said, too, that he may be one of the real positive surprises this year. I hope we're both right, because he could be a much needed asset.
                          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Tatonka
                            us picking maybin could be viewed as a possible schobel replacement vs. kelsay. just saying.

sacrifice1
                            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• OpIv37
                              Acid Douching Asswipe
                              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Tatonka
                              very possible- Schobel is getting up there in years and his performance is on the decline.

But Kelsay needs to be replaced too- don't be surprised if we're in the market for another one next off-season.
                              MiKiDo Facebook
                              MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                              X