PDA

View Full Version : Kelsay working with Sanders

psubills62
05-20-2009, 09:36 AM
I saw this over at bb.com, here's the link to the full article:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20090520/SPORTS03/905200343/1007/SPORTS/Buffalo+Bills++Kelsay+working+hard+to+improve+his+game

Here's a quote from the article that I thought were interesting:

Kelsay has been at the Bills' practice facility since mid-March working hard with new defensive line coach Bob Sanders in an effort to improve his pass rush technique. He believes the new coach will have a positive impact on his production.

"I've been taught some stuff by coach Sanders that seems like common sense in terms of rushing the passer, but it's stuff I've never been taught," he said. "I'm not taking anything away from Tim (Krumrie) or Bill (Kollar) who were great coaches, but coach Sanders tells me, he shows me on the field and then backs it up on the film by showing me guys who look and play similar to me.

"It's something I can buy into because I see it working for other guys who are similar to me — same body build, same type of mentality — and it works for them.''

OpIv37
05-20-2009, 09:42 AM
The good: Kelsay is working on his moves and seems committed to improving.

The bad: why the hell didn't he do this years ago?

justasportsfan
05-20-2009, 09:45 AM
"I'm pretty close with the guys who make up this organization, the guys who make it run, and they're up front and honest with me," Kelsay said following Buffalo's first organized team activity session on Monday. "Unless I'm being lied to, I feel safe."

what they say and what they do are 2 different things. They used their top draft pick on a DE Chris. You were obviously able to read between the lines which is why you are working hard .

In case you also forgot, Dick always said, no ones job is safe. Everyone has to earn their spot except when choosing his OC's.

With that being said, I hope it works out for you. The better you become the better the team becomes.

psubills62
05-20-2009, 09:47 AM

Yeah, I hate to say it, but this seems to be pointing the finger at our old DL coaches. How is it Kelsay's second contract and only now is he hearing this stuff? Either Sanders is really good, or the other guys were really bad. Either way, I like the hire so far...let's see if it can pay out on the field.

It would be great if Sanders can help Kelsay's sacks increase. But what I'm really looking for is for Sanders to help Maybin. I thought Maybin was a huge project before the draft (and still do). But if Sanders is that good of a coach, maybe he can help develop Maybin faster than usual. Hopefully, anyway.

TedMock
05-20-2009, 09:48 AM

More importantly - why weren't Krumrie and Kollar doing it? That's what bothers me. The team has certainly lacked talent in areas, but it apparently lacked innovative teaching as well.

Jan Reimers
05-20-2009, 09:49 AM
If Sanders can get McCargo to play like a 1st round pick, I'll believe he's a true miracle worker.

OpIv37
05-20-2009, 09:50 AM
More importantly - why weren't Krumrie and Kollar doing it? That's what bothers me. The team has certainly lacked talent in areas, but it apparently lacked innovative teaching as well.

and I remember a lot of people being happy about getting Kollar too. It's just like McNally on the other side of the ball.

SabreEleven
05-20-2009, 09:54 AM
"I've been taught some stuff by coach Sanders that seems like common sense in terms of rushing the passer, but it's stuff I've never been taught,"

Wait, what? Common sense in terms of rushing the passer but never taught?
That doesn't make sense to me. He doesn't sound too bright...Common sense is if you run out of milk, you go to the story to by more. Do you need to taught or told how to buy milk? Common sense means you don't have to be taught something. You know to do it because it makes sense...common sense..

Ed
05-20-2009, 09:57 AM
If Sanders can get McCargo to play like a 1st round pick, I'll believe he's a true miracle worker.
Well it sounds like McCargo is in better shape, working harder and more dedicated because of the Sanders hire, so this might actually be a real possibility. I think McCargo definitely has the talent and he showed flashes in 07, so maybe Sanders is exactly what he needs. I'm interested to see if McCargo turns a corner this year. I think he's got the best chance to surprise a lot of people this year.

Mahdi
05-20-2009, 10:01 AM
I saw this over at bb.com, here's the link to the full article:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20090520/SPORTS03/905200343/1007/SPORTS/Buffalo+Bills++Kelsay+working+hard+to+improve+his+game

Here's a quote from the article that I thought were interesting:
If Sanders can teach him what he taught Kampman Kelsay might be able to improve his game.

They are almost the exact same size, build and speed. The difference is that Kampman has a powerful inside move that counters his outside rush.

Sanders is probably teaching Kelsay some bull rush techniques and ways to get inside the OT.

Mahdi
05-20-2009, 10:01 AM
Well it sounds like McCargo is in better shape, working harder and more dedicated because of the Sanders hire, so this might actually be a real possibility. I think McCargo definitely has the talent and he showed flashes in 07, so maybe Sanders is exactly what he needs. I'm interested to see if McCargo turns a corner this year. I think he's got the best chance to surprise a lot of people this year.
Is there an article about McCargo?

Tatonka
05-20-2009, 10:02 AM
what they say and what they do are 2 different things. They used their top draft pick on a DE Chris. You were obviously able to read between the lines which is why you are working hard .

In case you also forgot, Dick always said, no ones job is safe. Everyone has to earn their spot except when choosing his OC's.

With that being said, I hope it works out for you. The better you become the better the team becomes.

us picking maybin could be viewed as a possible schobel replacement vs. kelsay. just saying.

Jan Reimers
05-20-2009, 10:03 AM
I think McCargo - who apparently didn't get along well with Kollar - really likes Sanders. I've said, too, that he may be one of the real positive surprises this year. I hope we're both right, because he could be a much needed asset.

justasportsfan
05-20-2009, 10:04 AM
us picking maybin could be viewed as a possible schobel replacement vs. kelsay. just saying.

:up:

OpIv37
05-20-2009, 10:11 AM

very possible- Schobel is getting up there in years and his performance is on the decline.

But Kelsay needs to be replaced too- don't be surprised if we're in the market for another one next off-season.

Tatonka
05-20-2009, 10:13 AM

i think it was chris brown but i definately read somewhere that mccargo has been one of the most frequent people in the gym and has definately improved his physique and strength.

Ed
05-20-2009, 10:15 AM
I know I read an article a couple weeks back about how McCargo is in better shape then he's ever been and has really re-dedicated himself to the game and is excited about this season because of his current relationship with Sanders. I can't remember where I read that though. It was more of a small blurb within an article then an entire article itself. It may have been on Chris Brown's blog, but I really can't remember.

Goobylal
05-20-2009, 10:16 AM
Oh for the days of DL coach John Levra! Bruce Smith said that he was the only DL coach who ever taught him anything. Hopefully the Bills have a similar guy in Sanders.

Tatonka
05-20-2009, 10:17 AM
very possible- Schobel is getting up there in years and his performance is on the decline.

But Kelsay needs to be replaced too- don't be surprised if we're in the market for another one next off-season.

i dont know that i would say his performace is on the decline.. he got hurt last year.. i wouldnt hold that against the guy for that.. it is not like he consistently gets hurt.

Ed
05-20-2009, 10:18 AM
Nevermind, I just found it. It was part of a question and answer article with Chris Brown.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/tag/john-mccargo/

Had a couple of questions about McCargo:
–With the loss of Kollar and hiring of Sanders as DL coach – does that improve McCargo’s chances of sticking or is Fewell or Jauron as down on McCargo as Kollar was?
–Do the Bills have medical concerns on his back that may preclude him from playing again (or was it strictly the Colts having tougher standards)?
–he has a lot of talent – is it lack of hussle or lack of football intelligence and knowing his responsibilities in the D that has some of the coaches down on him?

Thanks
Tim

CB: John McCargo has been working very hard this offseason, coming into the facility at One Bills Drive almost every day to rehab the disc problem in his back. I don’t think there’s any question that Kollar and McCargo was not a good mix as far as the coach/player relationship goes.

I think Bob Sanders is a better fit for McCargo, which is why I have hope that he can still turn into a solid contributor for this team. I don’t get the sense that Perry Fewell or Dick Jauron are as down on him as some might think.

You’re right he has talent. Now he has to show it on the field on a consistent basis and he may just blossom into what the scouts believed he could be at this level from the outset.

OpIv37
05-20-2009, 10:20 AM
i dont know that i would say his performace is on the decline.. he got hurt last year.. i wouldnt hold that against the guy for that.. it is not like he consistently gets hurt.

well, in 06 he had 14.5 sacks and in 07 he had either 6 or 6.5, so he was on the decline before the injury.

madness
05-20-2009, 10:24 AM

I really like the Sanders hiring a lot. I'm expecting him to finally turn the DL into the strength of this defense.

methos4ever
05-20-2009, 10:40 AM
Sanders is a coach known from college to the pros as a guy that focuses instead of "his way" of finding the best way for a player individually to succeed, using players in his wheelhouse so to speak. While he's showing Kelsay guys that fit him, he's most likely doing the same for all of them, most importantly Maybin, who can be molded into whatever he wants Maybin to be.

Jeff1220
05-20-2009, 11:13 AM

Krumrie was too busy giving/getting piggy-back rides.

justasportsfan
05-20-2009, 12:30 PM
well, in 06 he had 14.5 sacks and in 07 he had either 6 or 6.5, so he was on the decline before the injury. He was a beast vs. the run though which could've affected his pass rush.

GreedoII
05-20-2009, 12:47 PM
"I've been taught some stuff by coach Sanders that seems like common sense in terms of rushing the passer, but it's stuff I've never been taught,"

Wait, what? Common sense in terms of rushing the passer but never taught?
That doesn't make sense to me. He doesn't sound too bright...Common sense is if you run out of milk, you go to the story to by more. Do you need to taught or told how to buy milk? Common sense means you don't have to be taught something. You know to do it because it makes sense...common sense..

excellent post. Kelsey sounds like and is an idiot. He's a farmer for pete sake. I mean what a moronic statement he made. This team was and is filled with dolts both players and coaches.

OpIv37
05-20-2009, 12:51 PM
He was a beast vs. the run though which could've affected his pass rush.

I don't remember him being a beast against the run in 07. I do remember him being much better against the run before he got hurt in 08 though.

justasportsfan
05-20-2009, 12:55 PM
I don't remember him being a beast against the run in 07. I do remember him being much better against the run before he got hurt in 08 though.
thats what I meant. He was struggling vs. the run in 07 and 06 and upped his game in 08 which may have hurt his pass rush.