PDA

View Full Version : Kelsay in town since mid-march working on pass rush moves

ddaryl
05-20-2009, 09:37 AM
Obviously fans distaste for Kelsay has not gone unnoticed by him, and he has dedicated himself to being in Buffalo trying to get better.

He makes a few comments about new line coach Bob Sanders and how he feels he is different then Krumrie and Kollar. If what Sanders is doing for Kelsay is "NEW" to him then Krumrie and Kollar sucked bad, because what Sanders is doing (going by the quote) seems like coaching 101 to me.

None the less only Kelsay can shed his own demons, so lets all hope the lights come on. If Kelsay shows good improvement, then I have to think it will be safe ot say the whole Dl will be improved simply because of a coaching technique/upgrade

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20090520/SPORTS03/905200343/1007/SPORTS/Buffalo+Bills++Kelsay+working+hard+to+improve+his+game

Kelsay has been at the Bills' practice facility since mid-March working hard with new defensive line coach Bob Sanders in an effort to improve his pass rush technique. He believes the new coach will have a positive impact on his production.
"I've been taught some stuff by coach Sanders that seems like common sense in terms of rushing the passer, but it's stuff I've never been taught," he said. "I'm not taking anything away from Tim (Krumrie) or Bill (Kollar) who were great coaches, but coach Sanders tells me, he shows me on the field and then backs it up on the film by showing me guys who look and play similar to me.
"It's something I can buy into because I see it working for other guys who are similar to me — same body build, same type of mentality — and it works for them.''
So Kelsay believes he's going to be in Buffalo for all of the OTAs — even the ones after June 1 — and when the regular season begins, he also believes he's going to be a player the Bills can count on to make big plays.
"This time of year, it's easy to talk about stuff, but you have to show it on the field," he said. "There's a lot of work to be done and we're just beginning, but I'm excited about progressing in that direction.

psubills62
05-20-2009, 09:40 AM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=175076

Haha beat you by a single minute! ;)

ddaryl
05-20-2009, 09:41 AM
my post is better pfffft !!!

psubills62
05-20-2009, 09:43 AM
my post is better pfffft !!!

Haha yeah I think I got it up faster because I wrote less

Tatonka
05-20-2009, 10:01 AM
"My heart and soul is with the Bills and they've treated me well. Until I hear otherwise, I'll just put my faith to work and come to work with my hard hat because that's really all I can do."

other than sacks, he has been solid, but as a DE, sacks and pressure is what we really need from him. I would love to see him turn it around and maybe the new coach can help with that. Who knows.

I know that as far as players representing the team well, Kelsay has always been a good soldier in every respect, so I will pull for him.

Thurmal
05-20-2009, 12:09 PM
It's good news that it only took him seven years to realize that he might need work in this area.

Nighthawk
05-20-2009, 12:15 PM
other than sacks, he has been solid, but as a DE, sacks and pressure is what we really need from him. I would love to see him turn it around and maybe the new coach can help with that. Who knows.

I know that as far as players representing the team well, Kelsay has always been a good soldier in every respect, so I will pull for him.

I did not like his cheerleader act for Jauron last year and didn't like him pretty much stating the fans didn't know what they were talking about when criticizing Dickey. I've never been a huge fan of his, but that really made me see how average this guy is. Of course he wants Jauron back, Jauron doesn't hold anybody accountable for poor play and Kelsay is the poster child for poor play.

billsfanone
05-20-2009, 12:18 PM
Schobel should be there too.

jimbohastle51
05-20-2009, 12:21 PM
guy will always be average at best. a decent DE against the run but he will never be a dominant pass rusher, he doesnt have the tools. hopefully this is his last season in buffalo (unless we finally rid ourselves of this second round bust in training camp).

Pinkerton Security
05-20-2009, 01:35 PM
Haha yeah I think I got it up faster because I wrote less

i think you got it up faster because you used Levitre BOOOYYAAHH

hahah man, its too easy

Tatonka
05-20-2009, 03:44 PM
he has the tools.. i disagree with that.. i dont think that you can say that kampman is a faster, bigger, or stronger..

kampman is just a better player.

is it likely that he turns into kampman? no. not at all.

but doesn't hurt to hope.

i dont have a problem with him sticking up for his coach. a lot of players did. i never saw anything about him saying the fans dont know what they are talking about though. i would rather see that before i comment on it.

if he has under 5 sacks this year.. you can bet he is gone though. maybin will take over.

DrGraves
05-20-2009, 07:36 PM
eh. too little to late. we still hate you chris.

TigerJ
05-20-2009, 08:02 PM
Kelsay has always had a good attitude, and he's been a hard worker. He just hasn't had the production, which of course is the most important thing. Sanders is a different type of coach than Krumrie or Kollar. I think both of them were big rah rah guys who screamed a lot. Sanders seems to be a teacher first and foremost. Kelsay has always had the work ethic and attitude, so maybe he just needs the teaching. Of course, if he lacks the necessary talent, maybe he'll never be good enough regardless of what he learns. We'll see this season.

MikeInRoch
05-20-2009, 08:16 PM
How much of this is a result of us drafting a DE?

OpIv37
05-20-2009, 08:41 PM
How much of this is a result of us drafting a DE?

Seven years on the team.

First time he's done this.

I'm sure none of you need me to spell it out for you.

To be fair, he was there a month or so before the draft. But it's no big secret that the Bills were looking to go DE early.

DynaPaul
05-22-2009, 09:28 AM
He might have better luck refining his pass rushing skills in Madden 09.

raphael120
05-23-2009, 12:16 AM
Looks like he's about 4 years too late to give a crap about his lack of skills. Dude should have been bustin his ass to live up to his big pay raise but the only thing that lit a fire under his butt is the potential of being cut and knowing no other team is going to offer him HALF of what he's making now. He's lucky this front office is a bunch of morons.

Goobylal
05-23-2009, 06:09 AM
I have to believe that what motivated Kelsay (seeing as how he started working out in March), is learning the Bills were shopping him, finding no takers, and as was stated, realizing that if he were cut, no one would offer him a contract with a total value worth even what he stands to make this year alone. Basically he's living on borrowed time and is a goner if he doesn't improve before the season starts.

HHURRICANE
05-23-2009, 08:58 AM
It doesn't matter if you take out Kelsay and insert Schobel's name.

Both of these losers got big contract extensions at the same time and our sacks have gone down the toilet.

Remember when everyone was blaming the interior for their play? Stroud was a beast and Schobel and Kelsay were getting man-handled early in the season.

Schobel getting hurt was the best thing that ever happened to him.

I'll bet $1,000 he doesn't finish the season due to injury or whatever ailment gets him.

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
05-23-2009, 11:43 AM
he has the tools.. i disagree with that.. i dont think that you can say that kampman is a faster, bigger, or stronger.. I think you can say Kampman is much stronger, faster, energetic, knows how to beat tackles, and has much better stamina.

lmcshadow
05-23-2009, 07:06 PM
:*****slap:

Owen DeBoard
05-23-2009, 07:50 PM
It doesn't matter if you take out Kelsay and insert Schobel's name.

Both of these losers got big contract extensions at the same time and our sacks have gone down the toilet.

Remember when everyone was blaming the interior for their play? Stroud was a beast and Schobel and Kelsay were getting man-handled early in the season.

Schobel getting hurt was the best thing that ever happened to him.

I'll bet $1,000 he doesn't finish the season due to injury or whatever ailment gets him.
I disagree about you sayin that Schobel and Kelsay are the same. Schobel when healthy has the stats to prove you wrong. And dont give me that bull**** that he gets his sacks in garbage time because that is bull**** also. Did you ever think that changing to a cover 2 would affect his play. Also he hasnt played that many games with Stroud before he was injured. BTW look at the other DT on the team besides Stroud. We only have 2 guys on the D-line worth a ****. When Schobel had big Pat and Sam Adams on the d-line with him he had good numbers for an end. He wasnt always drawing double teams like he does now. Why dont you just wait and see if hes 100 percent when the season starts before passing judgement him.

jamze132
05-26-2009, 05:55 AM
I'm just enamored that one of our team captain's is finally trying to sack the QB. WTF?

OpIv37
05-26-2009, 10:13 AM
I disagree about you sayin that Schobel and Kelsay are the same. Schobel when healthy has the stats to prove you wrong. And dont give me that bull**** that he gets his sacks in garbage time because that is bull**** also. Did you ever think that changing to a cover 2 would affect his play. Also he hasnt played that many games with Stroud before he was injured. BTW look at the other DT on the team besides Stroud. We only have 2 guys on the D-line worth a ****. When Schobel had big Pat and Sam Adams on the d-line with him he had good numbers for an end. He wasnt always drawing double teams like he does now. Why dont you just wait and see if hes 100 percent when the season starts before passing judgement him.

Um, Schobel's sacks went from 14.5 to 6.5 the year after he got his big contract. I won't even use the garbage time argument cuz there is no way to prove it, but his stats went down.

And in the 46 D, Gray and Lebeau in fact ran a lot of zone blitzes, and at times that meant DE's would drop back in zone coverage. In a C2/T2 D, zone blitzes are rarely if ever used. The DE's are supposed to control gaps and be in the backfield on every play, running or passing. So, if anything, the switch to the C2 would give Schobel MORE opportunities to get to the passer.

And ANYONE could put up big numbers playing next to Pat Williams and Sam Adams. Those guys were monsters and got doubled all day long. But we don't have either of those guys anymore. We need someone who can be productive playing next to Stroud and Kyle Williams, and so far Schobel has not been that guy.

Marvelous
05-26-2009, 11:31 AM
:up:
-He's gonna be here so this is great.. But i've heard it before w/ JP etc.

trapezeus
05-26-2009, 11:38 AM
So who do we expect won't live up to OBD's propaganda? McCargo or Kelsay? Maybe they'll be like a two man voltron and form McKelsay.

BertSquirtgum
05-26-2009, 03:51 PM
what in god's holy name took him so long to figure this out? he should have been working on his new moves 3 years ago

Oldbillsfan
05-26-2009, 04:49 PM
So hows the new moves coming Chris? lol Give me a ****ing break