PDA

View Full Version : Bills' Walker reserved about position swap

madness
05-20-2009, 10:13 AM
Bills' Walker reserved about position swap

Tackle largely silent about shift to left side

By Mark Gaughan
<!-- Begin /PubSys/Common/Decisions/if_creditline_with_dash.comp --> NEWS SPORTS REPORTER
<!-- End /PubSys/Common/Decisions/if_creditline_with_dash.comp --> <!--Updated: 05/20/09 1:38 AM --> <!--startclickprintexclude--> <!-- Start /PubSys/Story/MediaBox/MediaBox.comp --> <!-- begin story-tools -->
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://s7.addthis.com/js/152/addthis_widget.js"></script> <!-- ADDTHIS BUTTON END -->
<!-- end share buttons -->
<!-- End /PubSys/Story/MediaBox/MediaBox.comp --> <!--endclickprintexclude-->Langston Walker is a smart guy.
So it's no surprise he's taking a low-key approach to stepping into the high-profile job as the new left tackle of the Buffalo Bills.
"I'm a team player," Walker said as the Bills began spring practices this week. "They asked me to do it early and I'm doing it, no arguments. End of story, really."
Is he embracing the challenge? It would be a good idea, he is told.
"I have to," he said. "Like you just said, I better. There's no secondary draft, and I don't know how many left tackles are out there in free agency, but I highly doubt that we'll pick somebody else up. So I'm what you've got."
Is he confident he can do the job?
"I'm not worried," Walker said. "I've done it before and I'll do it again. I'll do it [as long as] they continue to ask me to."
If Walker seems a bit guarded — OK, very guarded — it's easy to understand why.
Walker, who spent the past two seasons playing right tackle, knows he is stepping into the big shoes of a two-time Pro Bowler, Jason Peters. He knows he is protecting the blind side of quarterback Trent Edwards.
Walker is not going to say anything that will call extra attention to himself. He's not going to make any bold proclamations.
He's not going to come remotely close to getting on some opponent's bulletin board.
The Bills' management, conversely, gave a loud endorsement of Walker's ability April 17 when they traded Peters to the Philadelphia Eagles. You don't deal a Pro Bowler at one of the most important positions on the field unless you think you have a good alternative. They gave Walker another big vote of confidence April 25 when they passed on two chances to take a left tackle in the first round of the NFL draft — with the 11th and 28th overall picks.

Conclusion: The Bills are completely sold on Walker...

http://www.buffalonews.com/452/story/676853.html

Italian Stallion
05-20-2009, 10:22 AM
ok awesome....woulda felt much better had I not read that article.

Conclusion: Confidence level = less than .45 %

Tatonka
05-20-2009, 10:35 AM
he will be fine at LT.

he definately wont give up a dozen sacks like peters.

Luisito23
05-20-2009, 10:40 AM
he will be fine at LT.

:bf1:....Great post T. I feel exactly the same way.

justasportsfan
05-20-2009, 10:42 AM
he will be fine at LT.

he did give up almost as much with the raiders

jonespostman
05-20-2009, 10:44 AM
Yeah, what he said

madness
05-20-2009, 10:53 AM

He was the best player on that pathetic excuse of a line. He couldn't stop everybody.

psubills62
05-20-2009, 10:53 AM

Just out of curiosity, I've seen that stat floated around randomly....where did it come from?

Night Train
05-20-2009, 07:00 PM
Walker was given a fair contract to play RT and has been nothing but a solid team player since he got here.

I remember all the screaming about what a disaster of a signing he was 3 years back, then he goes out and gives up 1 sack his first year. So much for that "look at me cry" junk from the usual suspects.

Walker is what he is. A fair run blocker and an above average pass blocker at RT. His willingness to help the team at LT and carry himself with class is not lost on me.

Even this year, I think Chambers or Scott could spell him for a series to keep him fresh.

Walker is a positive on this roster. No question in my mind.

The Juice Is Loose
05-20-2009, 08:29 PM
His bad year in Oakland they had a guy calling plays who had been running a Bed and Breakfast. He had a playbook from 1987 and every play was a 7 step drop.

Good pass protection needs a balanced offense with a running attack and quarterback who is willing to get rid of the ball. He had none in Oakland, he has all here.

yordad
05-20-2009, 09:57 PM
For some reason I think the Bills were just as influenced by what they see in D. Bell's future.

Buckets
05-21-2009, 06:46 AM
OK! I wish everyone would stop refering to Peters as a 2 time Pro Boller. We all know he didn't deserve last years trip to Hawaii.
Walker will do fine.

Jan Reimers
05-21-2009, 08:17 AM
OK! I wish everyone would stop refering to Peters as a 2 time Pro Boller. We all know he didn't deserve last years trip to Hawaii.
Walker will do fine.
I totally agree. Peters had one good year for us, and some posters treat him as if we had lost Anthony Munoz.

HHURRICANE
05-21-2009, 12:04 PM
If Peters is short of being great this year in Philly I will be the first to apologize to this board. But to act like the guy sucked is just ridiculous. He had an off year last year because he showed up 2 days before the beginning of the season.

The stupid stat about sacks allowed doesn't account for the times that Dockery missed his blocking assignment leaving Peters out to dry. Watch the tape. Did Peters make mistakes? Yes. But to act like he sucks is ridiculous. You don't think Philly watched the tape? They obvioulsy aren't too worried.

End of story.

As for Walker. He played well filling in at LT without much pressure on him. He played 4 pre-season games, and 1 and a half regular season games against worthless opponents.

He's not as good as Peters so anybody who is expecting that is going to be majorly disappointed. His footwork alone makes him a liabitlty potentially.

My guess is he's a stop gap this year at best. If Bell is everything that the Bills keep talking about I doubt Walker is even in a Bills uni next year.