Against the Jets: Did Peters really not know the play?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ebenezer
    Give me a minute...
    • Jul 2002

Against the Jets: Did Peters really not know the play?

Remember the infamous play against the Jets where Losman rolled out? On WGR yesterday they were talking about that play and Peters. I was only in the car for a moment. They mentioned that Peters didn't know the play and was supposed to have Losman's back on the play...that he missed the block because he didn't know what he was supposed to do.

Is that true? Do we have a link to that or is it credible?

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Re: Against the Jets: Did Peters really not know the play?

let's talk about Flutie vs. Rob Johnson instead.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• madness
      • Apr 2003

Either way, Losman wasn't supposed to roll out so we had two men on field that didn't have a clue.

Comment

• Ebenezer
        Give me a minute...
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan
        let's talk about Flutie vs. Rob Johnson instead.
        We just traded away what some people consider to be the best player on the team...I'm looking for justification.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Ebenezer
          We just traded away what some people consider to be the best player on the team...I'm looking for justification.
          He probably knew the play but was just confused because calling that play in that situation was ridiculous. "wait, they want me to do that, NOW? That can't possibly be right.... oh **** he just snapped the ball, now what?"
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Captain gameboy
            • Jul 2002

He wanted out, and was a jerk about it.
            Ample justification for me.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
              • Feb 2005

So he confused that play with the one he's supposed to take off???

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by draz54
                So he confused that play with the one he's supposed to take off???
                I don't think he took that play off. I think he either whiffed on the block or didn't know who he was supposed to block.

Don't get me wrong- he clearly screwed up. But I think it was lack of execution, not lack of effort.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• MikeInRoch
                  • Sep 2003

I'm sure he mis-heard in the huddle:

"Jason, on this play it's important that you stand there and day dream about the big contract extension you didn't get."
                  "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• SabreEleven
                    • Aug 2002

Jason didn't get paid enough to know that play. It wasn't in his contract.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37
                      I don't think he took that play off. I think he either whiffed on the block or didn't know who he was supposed to block.

Don't get me wrong- he clearly screwed up. But I think it was lack of execution, not lack of effort.
                      I understand what you're saying... But when someone says the result of the play was because somebody forgot the play, it insinuates that they had to make a poor choice... Since Peters' only 2 choices were to block that guy or not block that guy, by the logic of SI, he must have chose to not block him.

Comment

• ChristopherWalken
                        • Dec 2002

Straight from the horses mouth:

The play was supposed to be a short pass to fullback Corey McIntyre, and if he wasn't available, Losman should have just thrown the ball away. Instead, he held the ball too long and that gave Elam time to blitz from the backside and sack Losman.

Losman bristled and refused to answer when asked if he felt the pressure behind him, but offensive coordinator Turk Schonert didn't mince words.

"He's got to see the blitz," Schonert said. "And when the fullback gets stuffed immediately, he's got to protect it or just throw it away."

Losman, who agreed with Schonert's assessment, had a rather pedestrian performance before his big mistake. He completed 24 of 39 passes, but for only 148 yards. His longest completion was for 14 yards.

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

Why the hell would they call that play?

Back when Mularkey was coach, I said numerous times that his logic for calling certain plays was 'That's so stupid they'll never expect us to do it".

Same thing applies here. McIntyre doesn't usually handle the ball, and fullbacks wear extra padding on their ribs that makes their arms less mobile and makes it harder to cradle the ball against the body. Just a ****ing ridiculous play call.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                            Unreachable Douche
                            • Jul 2002

Is that true? Do we have a link to that or is it credible?
                            you never watched the video?

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

Comment

• trapezeus
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Oct 2004

a thread about two guys who aren't on the team anymore?

That was perhaps the most annoying loss of the season and two guys who we didn't want and/or didn't want to be here are now gone.

Let's see how these rookies step in.

Comment

Working...
                              X