• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madness
    • Apr 2003

Kelly on Vick, Owens, no-huddle

Kelly on Vick, Owens, no-huddle

(WGR 550) -- Michael Vick was freed from prison Wednesday morning, and Hall of Fame quarterback Jim Kelly has some pointed criticism for any team thinking of adding the embattled Falcons quarterback, adding that he does not expect Vick anywhere near the Bills locker room.

"They would never do that," Kelly said during a Wednesday appearance on The Howard Simon Show. "I would be very disappointed. I know he can probably fit in somewhere, especially with the wildcat offense. If I was the owner of the Buffalo Bills, I would not enterain (the possibility)."

"I would not welcome a Michael Vick to my football team."

Kelly is far more receptive to the idea of Terrell Owens in red, white and blue, and knows about receiving both a key to the city and a big Buffalo welcome. He said Owens may be the key to the team's playoff hopes, and also understands why Buffalo fans are ready to greet "T.O."

"It just shows the fans of Buffalo are excited," Kelly said. "They want a winner. If (Owens) can turn this around, more power to him."

Kelly said the Bills are going to have to be good... or else.

"If the team doesn't make the playoffs, you're going to see some major major changes," Kelly said. "I hope it works out because I like Dick Jauron, and what he means cause he's so loyal to his assistants. Sometimes the assistants have to step up, too."

Reports surfaced after the 2008 season that the Bills and offensive coordinator Turk Schonert could be interested in the no-huddle offense. Kelly used careful words describing the idea.

"It's not that easy," Kelly said. "Everybody's gotta be on the same page... you have to. You don't have time to think. You have to be able to react, especially for the quarterback. Trent's gotta have an idea what he wants to go into a game with. He's going to have to study more than he's ever studied in his life."

Western New York’s number one source for daily sports talk and play-by-play as the flagship station of the Bills and Sabres. Stream, read and download WGR 550 AM from any device on Audacy

• jamze132
    Don’t hate…
    • Jun 2003

Re: Kelly on Vick, Owens, no-huddle

Nothing Earth shattering from Jim their. I wish he could have some sort of coaching capacity with the offense.

Comment

• Don't Panic
      All-Pro Zoner
      • Dec 2005

Good to here from him about the no-huddle, though. if there's anyone's opinion on it I respect, it is his. Leaves the door open for making an argument for using it... Trent, the ball is squarely in your court this year. You and Turk, anyway.

Comment

• lmcshadow
        • Nov 2007

sounds like Kelly isnt that keen on assistants...I wonder who he thinks should step up...um um .......Turk
        The enemy deserves no mercy....mercy is for the weak.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
          • May 2003

I now have even more respect for Jim Kelly, based on his Michael Vick comments. Good for you, Jimbo!
          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Marvelous
            • Feb 2004

Are some Zoners wanting Vick?
            = under 25(years old) fans imo.
            GO BILLS!!! NE
            Magical Trevor

Comment

• bleve
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by jamze132
              Nothing Earth shattering from Jim their. I wish he could have some sort of coaching capacity with the offense.
              If it's nothing earth shattering, what would make you wish he was a coach in some capacity? Their?
              "You can't be a real country unless you have beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need beer."
              ~ Frank Zappa

Comment

• jamze132
                Don’t hate…
                • Jun 2003

Originally posted by bleve
                If it's nothing earth shattering, what would make you wish he was a coach in some capacity? Their?
                Jim didn't have much to say that isn't already known. I have always wanted Jim involved with the offense because he knows the game and would be a good asset to the coaching staff.

Comment

• Historian
                  2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                  • Dec 2002

He's putting on his best spin, but I think even Kelly would agree that a 35 year old WR isn't what's going to turn around the fortunes of the Buffalo Bills.

This team has been drafting duds for years now. The lines are still unsettled, as is the QB position.

Add to that we've lost our (arguably) best player for three games.

There is no quick fix for this team. DJ is basically a lame duck coach.

Rebuilding, anyone?

Comment

• bflobarry
                    • Jan 2004

The good news as I see it is that Trent IS a very bright guy, and as such, perhaps more capable than most at making those "no huddle, where does the ball need to go quickly" decisions. I'm excited for our season! Go Bills!.......

Comment

Working...
                    X