PDA

View Full Version : McCargo set for fresh start

The Spaz
05-21-2009, 07:11 AM
John McCargo has heard all the labels. Disappointment, injury prone, bust. Those are the terms typically attached to a former first-round pick when he hasn’t provided consistent production or earned a starting role after three years in the league. McCargo however, has washed his first three years in the league away and has rededicated himself to the game in the hopes of being the player he and everyone else in the Bills organization believed he could become.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/mccargo-set-for-fresh-start/9b4770eb-9c6c-431a-baa1-5486b7fcd752

Jan Reimers
05-21-2009, 07:18 AM
What a bonus it would be for McCargo to become a strong rotational DT.

Mahdi
05-21-2009, 07:38 AM
McCargo has the talent to overtake Kyle Williams as a starter. If he can stay healthy and show that he can get into the backfiled as he flashed several times in 07 I dont see why he wouldn't start. KW is not a penetrator and it hurts the defense when we dont get inside pressure.

OpIv37
05-21-2009, 07:45 AM
Isn't this the 3rd year in a row that we've seen an article like thins about McCargo? Seriously, I agree that he showed some promise at the end of 07 but it's always one step forward, two step backwards with this guy.

It's time for some guys on this team to get results or get the hell out of town, starting with McCargo, Simpson and Youboty. Hell, if it wasn't for lack of other options, McCargo and Simpson probably wouldn't even survive training camp.

Tatonka
05-21-2009, 07:46 AM
we can only hope.

THATHURMANATOR
05-21-2009, 08:02 AM
Isn't this the 3rd year in a row that we've seen an article like thins about McCargo? Seriously, I agree that he showed some promise at the end of 07 but it's always one step forward, two step backwards with this guy.

It's time for some guys on this team to get results or get the hell out of town, starting with McCargo, Simpson and Youboty. Hell, if it wasn't for lack of other options, McCargo and Simpson probably wouldn't even survive training camp.
I am with you. LAST CHANCE FAT BOY.

billsfanone
05-21-2009, 08:21 AM

Amen.

psubills62
05-21-2009, 08:28 AM
Well, this is good to hear. Although as Op pointed out, these articles seem to come up every year about one player or another.

I'm definitely rooting for this kid to succeed. It sounds like he likes coach Sanders, and McCargo learning new techniques sure can't hurt him.

Do I see him becoming a great DT this season? No, but I could see him slowly becoming a solid contributor, and possibly a starter. I imagine him ending up with similar stats as Spencer Johnson had last year: 31 tackles, 2 sacks, 3 passes defended, etc. I don't think he'll be all-world by any means, but I see him stepping up just a bit to make us hope he'll be great in 2010.

M
05-21-2009, 08:34 AM
Come on Big John!! Time to shake that "bust" label.

justasportsfan
05-21-2009, 08:37 AM
Lets see what Sanders can do for this DL.

jamze132
05-21-2009, 08:39 AM
If he can come back strong, our defense could look real nice. But I am not counting on that one.

The Juice Is Loose
05-21-2009, 08:44 AM
If the team starts playing well, it could happen. Success breeds success. I would love to see it, as it would redeem Marv for at least one draft pick he made.

IDK if I see it happening. I hope Stroud kills people this year. And at least that's somewhat realistic to hope for. Hell, if Stroud plays like an animal, whoever else is next to him should benefit.

TigerJ
05-21-2009, 09:14 AM
That certainly explains why he flunked his physical when the Bills tried to trade him last season. This is the second article where a lineman has mentioned something about Sanders teaching something brand new to a player. you would have thought that every defensive line coach in the NFL would have a pretty good handle on all the techniques that a lineman can use, but apparently that's not the case.

Yasgur's Farm
05-21-2009, 09:19 AM
I'm really liking what I'm hearing about coach Sanders. I can't believe that Kelsay and company haven't been taught better technique to this point in their careers!!!!

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-21-2009, 10:17 AM
How do you make a start from nothing, I think you mean you are ready to start John.

Luisito23
05-21-2009, 10:47 AM
Hoping for the best, but expecting the worst from this guy...Time will tell I guess...:scooter:

ParanoidAndroid
05-21-2009, 11:54 AM
I'm really liking what I'm hearing about coach Sanders. I can't believe that Kelsay and company haven't been taught better technique to this point in their careers!!!!

The article about Kelsay alluded to players that were like him in talent, size and natural tendency. I guarantee Sanders is looking at Kelsay like he is going to be the Bills' version of Aaron Kampman. Good luck.
Sanders did a very nice job in Green Bay with a less talented D-line than we have.

HHURRICANE
05-21-2009, 12:13 PM
He should play well enough to get a very nice contract when he becomes a UFA.

The Bills get players to their optimum just before they walk.

Mahdi
05-21-2009, 12:45 PM
The article about Kelsay alluded to players that were like him in talent, size and natural tendency. I guarantee Sanders is looking at Kelsay like he is going to be the Bills' version of Aaron Kampman. Good luck.
Sanders did a very nice job in Green Bay with a less talented D-line than we have.
Well... they are the same size, build and speed. The difference between Kelsay and Kampman is that Kampman has a very strong inside move to counter his outside rush and he uses his hands better.

Hopefully Sanders can give Kelsay that second dimension.

Mr. Pink
05-21-2009, 12:49 PM
Is there a point to having this stiff on the roster still?

I know you need able bodies and all for rotational purposes, but couldn't we have found something off the scrap heap that offered a little more than what we get from McCargo at this point?

He's another bum that doesn't belong on an NFL roster.

Why do we keep these jamokes around?

Dr. Lecter
05-21-2009, 12:52 PM
Is there a point to having this stiff on the roster still?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I know you need able bodies and all for rotational purposes, but couldn't we have found something off the scrap heap that offered a little more than what we get from McCargo at this point?<o:p></o:p>
He's another bum that doesn't belong on an NFL roster.<o:p></o:p>
Why do we keep these jamokes around?<o:p></o:p>
Why cut him now?<o:p></o:p>
He can just as easily be cut in August. But, since he does have raw ability, keep him. If he somehow, through a miracle, improves, the Bills have a contributor. If not, they cut him during pre-season. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>

Mr. Pink
05-21-2009, 12:58 PM
Why cut him now?<o:p></o:p>
He can just as easily be cut in August. But, since he does have raw ability, keep him. If he somehow, through a miracle, improves, the Bills have a contributor. If not, they cut him during pre-season. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>

It's annoying to see fluff pieces about these rejects who shouldn't be on an NFL roster anymore.

It's like they're counting on him to be a positive contributor.

When he's never shown he can be a consistent contributor.

Plus I'd rather just dead weight, bring along someone else, who may or may not be able to get the job done BUT that's still better than keeping around a guy where there isn't even a shadow of a doubt that he's simply not good enough.

This organization loves keeping around players like that for far too long for the most part and then expects them to be contributors.

Mahdi
05-21-2009, 01:55 PM
It's annoying to see fluff pieces about these rejects who shouldn't be on an NFL roster anymore.

It's like they're counting on him to be a positive contributor.

When he's never shown he can be a consistent contributor.

Plus I'd rather just dead weight, bring along someone else, who may or may not be able to get the job done BUT that's still better than keeping around a guy where there isn't even a shadow of a doubt that he's simply not good enough.

This organization loves keeping around players like that for far too long for the most part and then expects them to be contributors.
McCargo has been injured since he got into the league... and when he was out there and playing he made some pretty impressive plays. Out of all the DTs we have on our roster he has the most ability when it comes to penetrating the backfield, that is why the Bills are giving him chances.

I hope Bob can get him going.

Mr. Pink
05-21-2009, 01:59 PM
McCargo has been injured since he got into the league... and when he was out there and playing he made some pretty impressive plays. Out of all the DTs we have on our roster he has the most ability when it comes to penetrating the backfield, that is why the Bills are giving him chances.

I hope Bob can get him going.

And maybe Bob can get Denney, Kelsay, etc going too.

It's just damn frustrating that we keep these stiffs around for so long and don't try to move forward in a different direction. Especially when it's obvious that the players we keep spinning our wheels with simply aren't good enough.

Mahdi
05-21-2009, 02:07 PM
And maybe Bob can get Denney, Kelsay, etc going too.

It's just damn frustrating that we keep these stiffs around for so long and don't try to move forward in a different direction. Especially when it's obvious that the players we keep spinning our wheels with simply aren't good enough.
Well Bob certainly has an interesting group to work with. Definitely more talented than what he had in GB.

He has freakishly tall Denney, hard working Kelsay, crafty Schobel, athletic freak Mayin, a pro bowler in Stroud, and a nice trio of KW, Spencer and McCargo.

I really want to see what he can get out of Spencer. I really think he will have a breakout year.

elltrain22
05-21-2009, 02:09 PM

Exactly what I was thinking dude.

Mr. Pink
05-21-2009, 02:13 PM
Well Bob certainly has an interesting group to work with. Definitely more talented than what he had in GB.

He has freakishly tall Denney, hard working Kelsay, crafty Schobel, athletic freak Mayin, a pro bowler in Stroud, and a nice trio of KW, Spencer and McCargo.

I really want to see what he can get out of Spencer. I really think he will have a breakout year.

See that's the frustrating part...

Outside of Maybin and Stroud there's very little to be excited about when it comes to our front 4.

We're stuck hoping, or praying, an aging Schobel can regain form. Even though he's flat out admitted to losing a step. Hoping a journeyman Spencer can have a break out year. Or hoping our less than average players in Kelsay and Denney to far succeed expectations. And last but not least, hope the bust McCargo can show he deserved even having his name called on draft day let alone in Round 1.

This crap is like a broken record, year after year, same garbage...we're stuck hoping one of these proven losers suddenly becomes a stud.

tatersalad
05-21-2009, 02:15 PM
Well I remeber back in the day OJ Simpson was labeled a bust and then we get Lou Saban as a coach and next thing you know he is labeled a superstar, then Murderer but thats a diff story... I think that McCargo can turn it around this yr. And what a added bonus that is

Mr. Pink
05-21-2009, 02:17 PM
Well I remeber back in the day OJ Simpson was labeled a bust and then we get Lou Saban as a coach and next thing you know he is labeled a superstar, then Murderer but thats a diff story... I think that McCargo can turn it around this yr. And what a added bonus that is

Terrible comparison.

Elite heisman trophy winner vs an average guy who benefitted from an elite defensive end named Mario Williams.

psubills62
05-21-2009, 02:18 PM
See that's the frustrating part...

Outside of Maybin and Stroud there's very little to be excited about when it comes to our front 4.

We're stuck hoping, or praying, an aging Schobel can regain form. Even though he's flat out admitted to losing a step. Hoping a journeyman Spencer can have a break out year. Or hoping our less than average players in Kelsay and Denney to far succeed expectations. And last but not least, hope the bust McCargo can show he deserved even having his name called on draft day let alone in Round 1.

This crap is like a broken record, year after year, same garbage...we're stuck hoping one of these proven losers suddenly becomes a stud.

You aren't curious at all as to how Ellis might develop? Honestly, I think the most intriguing part of the DL is how they will play as a whole after having an offseason with Sanders as the coach.

Mahdi
05-21-2009, 02:18 PM

Simpson's Change of Direction skills are going to get him cut this year. I see a project player taking his place as the 2nd string FS with Byrd the starter.

Youboty showed he can be a star when healthy. Great tackler, blitzer, and physical cover man.

psubills62
05-21-2009, 02:21 PM
Simpson's Change of Direction skills are going to get him cut this year. I see a project player taking his place as the 2nd string FS with Byrd the starter.

Youboty showed he can be a star when healthy. Great tackler, blitzer, and physical cover man.

I kind of wonder if they'll try Lankster at FS in TC, sort of like they did with Kennard Cox. He has ball skills, and it's obvious they want to get more INT's.

OpIv37
05-21-2009, 02:22 PM

Agreed on Youboty, but he's never healthy and CB is probably the strongest position on this team. He hasn't been healthy enough to contribute, and at some point he just becomes a hassle. It's getting dangerously close to that point.

Mahdi
05-21-2009, 02:23 PM
I kind of wonder if they'll try Lankster at FS in TC, sort of like they did with Kennard Cox. He has ball skills, and it's obvious they want to get more INT's.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-team/dt-by-team-input:buf

Lankster profile.

Mr. Pink
05-21-2009, 02:24 PM
You aren't curious at all as to how Ellis might develop? Honestly, I think the most intriguing part of the DL is how they will play as a whole after having an offseason with Sanders as the coach.

Forgot about Ellis...thank you.

He's another guy I'd like to see if he could develop into a contributor.

Mahdi
05-21-2009, 02:26 PM
Forgot about Ellis...thank you.

He's another guy I'd like to see if he could develop into a contributor.
All our DEs are 6'4 besides Denney. They have a fetish for that height apparently.

Mike13
05-21-2009, 05:35 PM
He's Eddie Moore 1.5

trapezeus
05-22-2009, 10:03 AM
i wouldn't hold your breathe on McCargo. last year's article, he said something telling like, "he had a hard time keeping up with the speed of the game." He also was the 3rd DL man taken from NC that year. I just don't t hink he has the athleticism to keep up at an NFL speed.

If he really just didn't like the other coach, that's the dumbest move to not try your hardest. Because no one judges your ability to get along with coaches. they look at the film. They don't say, "wow that McCargo barely gets off the line, i know i'm not hiring his DL coach." they pin that on McCargo directly.

madness
05-22-2009, 10:10 AM
i wouldn't hold your breathe on McCargo. last year's article, he said something telling like, "he had a hard time keeping up with the speed of the game." He also was the 3rd DL man taken from NC that year. I just don't t hink he has the athleticism to keep up at an NFL speed.

If he really just didn't like the other coach, that's the dumbest move to not try your hardest. Because no one judges your ability to get along with coaches. they look at the film. They don't say, "wow that McCargo barely gets off the line, i know i'm not hiring his DL coach." they pin that on McCargo directly.

Don't count him out either. He's apparently in the best shape of his life and some players just respond better to different coaches. I'm not expecting much at this point but I also wouldn't be surprised if he is able to turn it around.

Jeff1220
05-22-2009, 10:26 AM
Never count out a lazy football player in need of a big new contract.

Ginger Vitis
05-22-2009, 11:00 AM
Seems to be assumed Bob Sanders is a DL guru.. because how could he be worse than Krumrie or Kollar?

Lefty2985
05-24-2009, 05:50 PM
well i hope he does turn it around i was a big support of him going into last season but i will not hold my breath. and i want to see what he can do with ellis i could care less about denny or kyle williams.