PDA

View Full Version : Bills not shy about plugging rookies in

The Spaz
05-21-2009, 09:19 AM
Dick Jauron and his coaching staff have made a point to insert some of their top rookies into the lineup with the first team offense and first team defense. To this point Eric Wood and Andy Levitre were seeing the most reps with the top units, but Aaron Maybin was sprinkled in with the first team defense Wednesday. Jauron explained the approach.

“No matter where they were drafted or where they came from, if they’re good enough to play we’ve got to find a spot for them to play.The people that were drafted high we definitely think a good deal about them and we want to get them in the mix early, very early. They need to get as many reps as they can get to catch up with the veterans.”

I fully believe that if Jairus Byrd were able to participate in these OTAs that he too would be getting reps with the first team defense at free safety. But because of his school’s late final exam schedule he can’t. It’ll be interesting to see how that shakes out for him at training camp. But Dick Jauron mentioned Byrd specifically when I asked him about this approach.

“The only young player (that won’t benefit) is Jairus and I don’t know how much we’ll be able to get him because of school and the rules in the league,” said Jauron. ”And that’s always an issue. But I believe he’ll catch up quickly or at least as quickly as he can.”

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2009/05/21/bills-not-shy-about-plugging-rookies-in/

Jan Reimers
05-21-2009, 10:12 AM
We need our high draft picks to contribute NOW.

HHURRICANE
05-21-2009, 11:50 AM
We need our high draft picks to contribute NOW.

Contribute?

Unfortunately, Wood and Levitre have to play as good or better than Butler and Dockery.

Before everyone says how bad Dockery sucked he was 10X better than what we had before him. The Bills made a finacial decision to cut Dockery so his replacement has to only play as well as he did.

justasportsfan
05-21-2009, 11:59 AM
Dick should've done that last year with plugging in Steve Johnson sooner.

OpIv37
05-21-2009, 12:01 PM
Of course they have no problem plugging in rookies. What choice do they really have?

If they didn't want to plug in rookies, then Ralph would have to shell out for FA's. They're playing the hand they're dealt.

billsfanone
05-21-2009, 12:05 PM
They are running real short on spin. lol. WTF.

HHURRICANE
05-21-2009, 12:07 PM
Of course they have no problem plugging in rookies. What choice do they really have?

If they didn't want to plug in rookies, then Ralph would have to shell out for FA's. They're playing the hand they're dealt.

A few posters didn't like the fact that I said the line is thin because it wasn't homeristic enough.

The rookies have to start. No choice. Who's replacing them if they don't?

OpIv37
05-21-2009, 12:14 PM
A few posters didn't like the fact that I said the line is thin because it wasn't homeristic enough.

The rookies have to start. No choice. Who's replacing them if they don't?

Chambers and McKinney, even though Chambers is a T and the rookies are G's. But let's not let facts get in the way.

ServoBillieves
05-21-2009, 01:28 PM
Chambers and McKinney, even though Chambers is a T and the rookies are G's. But let's not let facts get in the way.

Facts are the enemy Op, haven't you learned that from this board yet? :beers:

feldspar
05-21-2009, 06:19 PM
The Bills had at least 5 rookies starting in 2006 at times...

Donte Whitner: started 14 games
Ko Simpson: started 15 games
Kyle Williams: started 11 games
Kieth Ellison: started 7 games
Terrance Pennington: started 9 games

All but one of these guys was picked in round 4 or lower. Also, keep in mind that some of these guys played in other games where they didn't start.

And Butler started a couple of games; Youboty started one. Even Aaron Merz, who was our second 7th round pick started a game and appeared in 7. 2006 was Jauron's first season in Buffalo

Goobylal
05-21-2009, 06:25 PM
Contribute?

Unfortunately, Wood and Levitre have to play as good or better than Butler and Dockery.

Before everyone says how bad Dockery sucked he was 10X better than what we had before him. The Bills made a finacial decision to cut Dockery so his replacement has to only play as well as he did.
Dockery was 10X better. Because 10X zero is still zero.

Hard to see Wood being better than Butler, but it's a work in progress, with LT ultimately being manned by Bell.

Syderick
05-21-2009, 09:52 PM
In the last few years, rookies have started quite a fair bit for the team

Lexwhat
05-22-2009, 12:06 AM

This is what I wanted to say. The Bills have NO choice anyways.

With that being said, I really don't think the interior line is going to be much of an issue. Yes there will be growing pains, but at least these Rookies have talent and are a natural fit for the position. At worst, we won't notice a drop-off from the previous years. Dockery was lazy while Butler was a poor fit. Fowler was one of the worst Centers in the league.

Many, many Guards have been able to step in on Day 1.

It's the Tackles that I am worried about.

Night Train
05-22-2009, 06:12 AM
Hard to see Wood being better than Butler.
Butler sucked at Guard, so that's not a good comparison at all.

Guys like 6-7 Butler or 6-8 Walker play Tackle, where they can move their feet and extend their arms. They're too tall to play G, where DT's can get under their pads and gain inside leverage.

I'm pleased with the idea of seeing Levitre & Wood start at Guard immediately. Of course they're going to get schooled at times but it could benefit us greatly in the long run. They have an actual upside. Butler was failing every bit as much as Dockery inside.

Everyone became blinded by the Peters situation but our OL problems went much further than that. We had one guy left playing acceptable football and that was Walker at RT. So the Bills overhauled the interior of the line and wait one more year for either the Bell kid to emerge or draft Peters replacement, while Walker takes one for the team at LT.

"Win now !" sounds nice but laying a long overdue foundation is not lost on me. I don't care about Jaurons' neck because he basically dug his own grave with help from Marv and his horrid gameday management. I don't expect much this year but I'm tempered by the fact the next guy may be high energy Bobby April and he seems to have a better grasp of our roster than the grim reaper Jauron. What I do see is the OL finally getting better and the D Front 7 should be the next priority. Maybin is a good start but it still needs another 2-3 pieces.

I'm encouraged more long term than short but we could steal a few more wins if Schonert commits to a more atatcking O this year with all the good hands at Edwards disposal. Still, that D front 7 looks a little short. Rome wasn't built in a day and the needs this off-season far exceeded what people thought. I surprised they did this well.

Still, they're bringing in the right players and not these short term Vet has beens that seem to cloud our long term plans. Getting a good player like Stroud is one thing. Pisa looks like Eddie Robinson v2.0. A small LB to fit a specific, failing scheme. That ship has sailed.

Play what you got now and one more off-season should solidify this improving roster, which looked like a swiss cheese sale after last year. Front 7 help,solving the LT situation and a new coach like April could finish the job of being playoff worthy.

Thinking positive thoughts.

SABURZFAN
05-22-2009, 09:00 AM
these guys are the future so get them in there. that's what Ralph is paying them for.