PDA

View Full Version : Bills wanted Peters saga resolved before OTAs

The Spaz
05-21-2009, 01:23 PM
Dick Jauron left little doubt that he and his staff did not want to go through another offseason of wondering if or when their left tackle was A - going to show up, B – participate or C – participate with effort. Buffalo’s head coach explained this week that latest point in which they wanted the Jason Peters situation resolved was just before OTAs opened this week.

“We all thought it was critically important and in fairness to Jason probably critically important to him to get on with things and move on,” said Jauron. “He kind of showed us what he thought a year ago and it was important for us to have our whole team together for communication reasons and for every reason that you can think of in terms of team building. I’m happy for Jason and I’m happy for us.”

Jauron was very diplomatic with his comment, but nevertheless was clear in stating that they did not want to be holding out hope for a player again that would only disappoint in terms of performance once he arrived. Peters play last season did little to make Buffalo better offensively, and to go down the same road again would have been folly.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2009/05/21/bills-wanted-peters-saga-resolved-before-otas/

Goobylal
05-21-2009, 05:05 PM
Bingo. And Jauron is a better man than most. More than a few coaches would have gone off on Peters and what he pulled.

OpIv37
05-21-2009, 05:24 PM
Bingo. And Jauron is a better man than most. More than a few coaches would have gone off on Peters and what he pulled.

yeah, God forbid Jauron actually gets pissed and shows a little passion about something. Someone could anally rape the guy's mother while pouring sugar in his gas tank and he'd just say "Well, that man has some issues and hopefully these actions will help him work through them."

Mudflap1
05-21-2009, 06:27 PM
Jauron's thing is that he doesn't throw any players under the bus, and I can't fault him for that. He always takes the high road. Everyone knows what Peters is and what he did, we don't need Jauron to mudsling him anymore about it.

OpIv37
05-21-2009, 06:28 PM
Jauron's thing is that he doesn't throw any players under the bus, and I can't fault him for that. He always takes the high road. Everyone knows what Peters is and what he did, we don't need Jauron to mudsling him anymore about it.
sometimes players deserve and need to be thrown under the bus. I think knowing he'll cover their asses decreases their motivation.

Mudflap1
05-21-2009, 06:54 PM
sometimes players deserve and need to be thrown under the bus. I think knowing he'll cover their asses decreases their motivation.

Perhaps, but we don't know how Jauron necessarily handles issues in-house. If he holds people accountable and says, behind closed doors, that shenanigans will not be tolerated and guys that have attitudes will be shipped off (ala Peters), but keeps it out of the media's attention, I'm fine with that.

Patti120
05-21-2009, 07:31 PM
yeah, God forbid Jauron actually gets pissed and shows a little passion about something. Someone could anally rape the guy's mother while pouring sugar in his gas tank and he'd just say "Well, that man has some issues and hopefully these actions will help him work through them."

Now that is really f'ed up but also quite funny in some sick type of way.

OpIv37
05-21-2009, 07:32 PM
Perhaps, but we don't know how Jauron necessarily handles issues in-house. If he holds people accountable and says, behind closed doors, that shenanigans will not be tolerated and guys that have attitudes will be shipped off (ala Peters), but keeps it out of the media's attention, I'm fine with that.

but shenanigans are tolerated. Look at the number of guys who haven't performed that still have jobs and don't even really have anyone competing for their spot.

Goobylal
05-21-2009, 07:58 PM
The problem is that Buffalo isn't the hip place that most pro athletes want to be. Just look at Dockery. He got a ton of money to come to Buffalo, played like crap, got cut, and ended up with more money.

zone
05-21-2009, 08:02 PM
but shenanigans are tolerated. Look at the number of guys who haven't performed that still have jobs and don't even really have anyone competing for their spot.
I think they took a pretty good step in the right direction cleaning house and getting rid of under performers or bringing in competition in the places needed.

The team as a whole preformed poorly at the end of the year and you can't fire everyone or you would say "we are constantly re-building!"

Team chemistry can change with just a few additions and adjustments and they have made changes, now to see if the changes worked.

OpIv37
05-21-2009, 10:20 PM
I think they took a pretty good step in the right direction cleaning house and getting rid of under performers or bringing in competition in the places needed.

The team as a whole preformed poorly at the end of the year and you can't fire everyone or you would say "we are constantly re-building!"

Team chemistry can change with just a few additions and adjustments and they have made changes, now to see if the changes worked.

We ARE constantly rebuilding. They tore down the whole OL yet Kelsay, Ellison and the scrubs playing S next to Whitner get to keep their jobs? I just don't understand the decisions this team makes sometimes.

I'd like to think that lack of understanding is due to the fact that the people making the decisions know more about football and the players specifically than I do, but the results on the field certainly don't support that line of thinking.

I actually don't think the Bills are THAT bad at ditching guys who are underperforming. It's the next step- replacing them with people who are better or at least equal but cheaper so they can improve in other areas- where they continuously fail.

bflobarry
05-21-2009, 10:34 PM
OP: DO you EVER have anything but vitriol to spew? Really, dude. I know you're a fan like we all are, but the tone of virtually EVERY post from you is harsh and critical. Maybe you don't see it?...

OpIv37
05-22-2009, 07:52 AM
OP: DO you EVER have anything but vitriol to spew? Really, dude. I know you're a fan like we all are, but the tone of virtually EVERY post from you is harsh and critical. Maybe you don't see it?...

I really don't know what else you want me to say.

This franchise has been mediocre at best for a decade now. Jauron has been here for three years and has only managed to continue that trend. There really aren't a whole lot of good things to say.

trapezeus
05-24-2009, 10:07 AM
The problem is that Buffalo isn't the hip place that most pro athletes want to be. Just look at Dockery. He got a ton of money to come to Buffalo, played like crap, got cut, and ended up with more money.

i think fans let the city of buffalo's image play more of a part in the equation than it is. there are a bunch of small teams in towns, we'd not want to live in. Kansas city, minneapolis, indy, etc. players go to whatever town wants them.

What keeps players from signing with buffalo is that its run like a circus. there is perhaps the ugliest fall of a season last year at 2-8 over the last 10 games. everyone universally agreed that dick jauron should be gone. It couldn't be more obvious. but they kept him.

and i say they because no one really seems to understand the structure of buffalo's front office. so as a player you're either signing up for a ton of money with the knowledge that it's just chaos. there is no plan in place to succeed. they just start all over every year with the same pieces.

So don't put the city of buffalo's woes on why players don't come here. it's the management of the team that prevents people from coming here.

Goobylal
05-24-2009, 04:19 PM
i think fans let the city of buffalo's image play more of a part in the equation than it is. there are a bunch of small teams in towns, we'd not want to live in. Kansas city, minneapolis, indy, etc. players go to whatever town wants them.

What keeps players from signing with buffalo is that its run like a circus. there is perhaps the ugliest fall of a season last year at 2-8 over the last 10 games. everyone universally agreed that dick jauron should be gone. It couldn't be more obvious. but they kept him.

and i say they because no one really seems to understand the structure of buffalo's front office. so as a player you're either signing up for a ton of money with the knowledge that it's just chaos. there is no plan in place to succeed. they just start all over every year with the same pieces.

So don't put the city of buffalo's woes on why players don't come here. it's the management of the team that prevents people from coming here.
It's a lot more than just that. For starters, and for example, Florida has no state income tax. That's huge for players. Then there's the weather. And the small town stature. The same thing goes for other smaller cities, and it's not like players are going gaga over signing in KC, Minny, Indy, etc.

yordad
05-24-2009, 07:33 PM
We ARE constantly rebuilding. They tore down the whole OL yet Kelsay, Ellison and the scrubs playing S next to Whitner get to keep their jobs? Well other then Kelsay, the scrubs you mentioned make backup money. You don't cut those guys, you just replace them in the starting lineup. So, IMO, that should have been your point, cuz as of right now, how Ellison is penciled in as the starter still is ridiculous.

HHURRICANE
05-25-2009, 08:09 AM

Should he lie?

The Bills totally blew the Peters negotiation and don't think for a moment that one coach on this team thinks we are better without him.

So the bottom line is that Brandon didn't come close to paying Peters, a player that the coaches wanted and needed, enough money to stay.

I keep trying to figure out why Peters is such a bad guy in this. His contract in Philly is reasonable so obviously are FO can't negotiate with players.

MikeInRoch
05-25-2009, 08:44 AM
Peters is a bad guy for not giving it his all when he was on the field. That's a bull**** move that can get others on the team hurt.

OpIv37
05-25-2009, 12:17 PM
Now that is really f'ed up but also quite funny in some sick type of way.

wish I could take credit for it- it was actually a line from the movie Clerks.

FlyingDutchman
05-25-2009, 08:56 PM

alright now thats actually funny

FlyingDutchman
05-25-2009, 08:58 PM
wish I could take credit for it- it was actually a line from the movie Clerks.

gaaaay...im taking my thanks back

Ickybaluky
05-27-2009, 07:55 AM
Peters is a bad guy for not giving it his all when he was on the field. That's a bull**** move that can get others on the team hurt.

I wonder how Bills fans reconcile Owens to the Jason Peters situation. Peters was crucified here because he held out and played sub-par last year due to being unhappy with this contract. He eventually forced a trade out of town.

Owens agent missed a deadline making him ineligible to become a free agent while with SF. SF traded him to Baltimore, but he refused to report to his new team because he wanted to play in Philadelphia. He filed a grievance, and after negotiations a compromise was worked out allowing Baltimore to get compensated and SF to trade Owens to Philly.

Owen ended up signing a 7-Year/$49M deal with Philadelphia, against the advice of the NFLPA. After a year, he fired his agent and hired Drew Rosenhaus, saying he needed a new contract to "feed his family". That was despite receiving a $7.5M signing bonus the year prior. He hinted he might hold out, then showed up for training camp with a bad attitude. He refused to speak to the media, his coaches or his teammates. He was suspended a week, then upon his return he ripped the Eagles, said they would be better off with Brett Favre than Donovan McNabb and got into a fight with Hugh Douglas. He was suspended again, eventually with the Eagles paying him to say home the rest of the season. After the season, the Eagles cut him rather than go through more of his antics.

Now TO is a Bill, and a lot of fans here rip Peters for wanting a new deal and forcing his way out of town because he still had 3 years left on his deal (which paid him well below market). Yet, Owens forced his way out of Philly despite having 6 years left on a 7 year deal.

How do you reconcile that?

casdhf
05-27-2009, 07:58 AM
First hand vs. second hand

The Spaz
05-27-2009, 08:01 AM
I wonder how Bills fans reconcile Owens to the Jason Peters situation. Peters was crucified here because he held out and played sub-par last year due to being unhappy with this contract. He eventually forced a trade out of town.

Owens agent missed a deadline making him ineligible to become a free agent while with SF. SF traded him to Baltimore, but he refused to report to his new team because he wanted to play in Philadelphia. He filed a grievance, and after negotiations a compromise was worked out allowing Baltimore to get compensated and SF to trade Owens to Philly.

Owen ended up signing a 7-Year/$49M deal with Philadelphia, against the advice of the NFLPA. After a year, he fired his agent and hired Drew Rosenhaus, saying he needed a new contract to "feed his family". That was despite receiving a $7.5M signing bonus the year prior. He hinted he might hold out, then showed up for training camp with a bad attitude. He refused to speak to the media, his coaches or his teammates. He was suspended a week, then upon his return he ripped the Eagles, said they would be better off with Brett Favre than Donovan McNabb and got into a fight with Hugh Douglas. He was suspended again, eventually with the Eagles paying him to say home the rest of the season. After the season, the Eagles cut him rather than go through more of his antics.

Now TO is a Bill, and a lot of fans here rip Peters for wanting a new deal and forcing his way out of town because he still had 3 years left on his deal (which paid him well below market). Yet, Owens forced his way out of Philly despite having 6 years left on a 7 year deal.

Real simple to justify it. He didn't do that in Buffalo.

HHURRICANE
05-27-2009, 09:33 AM

Fans here can't.

Peters was a cancer because he wanted to get paid market but our FO hid behind the "he signed a contract" even though they knew it was well below market.

Peters wasn't the problem but our FO was. But they did an excellent job of turning him into a money grabbing, selfish bum in the media and fans bought it hook, line, and sinker.

psubills62
05-27-2009, 09:50 AM
Fans here can't.

Peters was a cancer because he wanted to get paid market but our FO hid behind the "he signed a contract" even though they knew it was well below market.

Peters wasn't the problem but our FO was. But they did an excellent job of turning him into a money grabbing, selfish bum in the media and fans bought it hook, line, and sinker.

Hahahaha, you just crack me up. Oh yeah, they "turned him into" all that...they created a monster! Seriously, when are people going to take responsibility for their own actions? Peters did this to himself.

Actually, it's pretty easy to "justify" what Owens did in Philly: 1) it was a relatively long time ago, 2) he didn't do it to Buffalo, 3) we have no reason to hold a grudge against him.

We have every reason not to be worried about Owens at this point. While he still did dumb stuff in Dallas (the whole suicide attempt thing), it seems he's actually simmered down the past few years as he's grown older. Also, he signed a one-year deal with us so he should be fairly well-behaved in order to get a deal next offseason.

I don't understand why we're supposed to care about what Owens did versus what Peters did. I believe that Philly fans have every right to be mad at Owens about what he did. But why would it matter in regards to Owens playing for the Bills?

justasportsfan
05-27-2009, 09:53 AM

It's simple . If we sign Pacman JOnes , he'll be a saint too. If Lee Efvans wants out, he can go to hell .

psubills62
05-27-2009, 09:56 AM

What are we supposed to reconcile? I don't think anyone has tried to justify what Owens did in Philly. I think most people can agree that Philly fans have a right to be mad at Owens.

But that was a long time ago. And if anything, you'd think Philly would have learned from Owens, but then they trade for a guy who was a complete cancer last year in a similar fashion? Have you asked Philly fans how they reconcile their love for Peters with their hate for Owens?

The debacle with Owens in Philly was several years ago. I don't see why we need to reconcile anything. We're rooting for him to score TD's. He's on a one-year contract and shouldn't be too much of a problem. If he is, then we probably won't like him.

Owens hasn't been a problem for us, so why should we dislike him the way we did Peters? It's not like Bills fans are alone in this. Philly loves Peters now even after he screwed Buffalo like Owens screwed Philly.

psubills62
05-27-2009, 10:00 AM
It's simple . If we sign Pacman JOnes , he'll be a saint too. If Lee Efvans wants out, he can go to hell .

Who says Owens is a saint? I haven't been around as much lately, but I haven't seen anyone defend what Owens did in Philly.

Besides, big difference between Pacman Jones (off-the-field issues) and Owens (on-the-field issues). There's also a lot of people on these boards who trash Lynch for what he's done, and he's a Buffalo Bill.

justasportsfan
05-27-2009, 10:10 AM
Who says Owens is a saint? I haven't been around as much lately, but I haven't seen anyone defend what Owens did in Philly.

Besides, big difference between Pacman Jones (off-the-field issues) and Owens (on-the-field issues). There's also a lot of people on these boards who trash Lynch for what he's done, and he's a Buffalo Bill.

but some of us trash every player that leaves buffalo because of stupid FO decisions.

psubills62
05-27-2009, 10:18 AM
but some of us trash every player that leaves buffalo because of stupid FO decisions.

The FO isn't the only one involved in these things. Peters dug his own grave. How many people trash Pat Williams? I'll agree he left due to a stupid FO decision, but I haven't seen anyone trash Pat Williams.

Yeah, fans of the Bills tend to favor Buffalo players. But it's not like we're the only ones. There are 31 other teams that have fans that do the same thing.

justasportsfan
05-27-2009, 10:30 AM
The FO isn't the only one involved in these things. Peters dug his own grave. How many people trash Pat Williams? I'll agree he left due to a stupid FO decision, but I haven't seen anyone trash Pat Williams.

Yeah, fans of the Bills tend to favor Buffalo players. But it's not like we're the only ones. There are 31 other teams that have fans that do the same thing.
:up:

Ickybaluky
05-27-2009, 11:00 AM
We have every reason not to be worried about Owens at this point. While he still did dumb stuff in Dallas (the whole suicide attempt thing), it seems he's actually simmered down the past few years as he's grown older.

Really? He calmed down? Why did Dallas cut him then? They took a $9M cap hit to get rid of the guy.

Since leaving Philly he:

- Wrote a autobiography, then claimed he was misquoted
- Refused to practice in his first camp with Dallas, because of a hamstring injury which would not show up on any MRI
- Accidently overdosed on pain medication
- Nearly got into a fight with WR coach Todd Haley after Haley wanted to know why he was late for a meeting
- Spit on DeAngelo Hall (he admitted it)
- Questioned play-calling repeatedly. In one instance he claimed he wasn't thrown to enough in a game he was targeted 18 times.
- Had a record of being repeatedly late for meetings and team functions, including one time holding the Cowboys team plane up when departing for a road game. When he did show for meetings, he fell asleep several times.
- Stopped speaking to OC Jason Garrett last year, purposely ignoring him

The one consistent thing about Owens throughout his career is it is all about him. To think he is going to change at this point is ludicrous.

The Spaz
05-27-2009, 11:19 AM
Seriously NE Patriots board not doing a enough for you?

Ickybaluky
05-27-2009, 11:20 AM
Seriously NE Patriots board not doing a enough for you?

Do you know any good ones?

The Spaz
05-27-2009, 11:22 AM

Make one.

psubills62
05-27-2009, 11:23 AM
Really? He calmed down? Why did Dallas cut him then? They took a $9M cap hit to get rid of the guy.

Since leaving Philly he:

- Wrote a autobiography, then claimed he was misquoted
- Refused to practice in his first camp with Dallas, because of a hamstring injury which would not show up on any MRI
- Accidently overdosed on pain medication
- Nearly got into a fight with WR coach Todd Haley after Haley wanted to know why he was late for a meeting
- Spit on DeAngelo Hall (he admitted it)
- Questioned play-calling repeatedly. In one instance he claimed he wasn't thrown to enough in a game he was targeted 18 times.
- Had a record of being repeatedly late for meetings and team functions, including one time holding the Cowboys team plane up when departing for a road game. When he did show for meetings, he fell asleep several times.
- Stopped speaking to OC Jason Garrett last year, purposely ignoring him

The one consistent thing about Owens throughout his career is it is all about him. To think he is going to change at this point is ludicrous.

Half of that stuff wouldn't be newsworthy if it wasn't Terrell Owens. I'm sure no other player has ever fallen asleep in meetings.

Yes, he does dumb stuff. Yes, he's selfish. So what? I still don't know what we Bills fans are supposed to "reconcile." We all know he's done dumb stuff. Will he change? Probably not. Will his stupid decisions be relatively minimized with a one-year contract? It's possible.

People don't like Peters because he screwed with Buffalo one of the years of high expectations (higher than usual). But we should hate Owens because he screwed with Philly and Dallas?

Ickybaluky
05-27-2009, 11:31 AM
Make one.

I'd be awfully lonely.

psubills62
05-27-2009, 11:34 AM

What about patsfans?

Ickybaluky
05-27-2009, 11:41 AM
What about patsfans?

I'd miss you guys.

THATHURMANATOR
05-27-2009, 11:44 AM
NE stop causing trouble.

justasportsfan
05-27-2009, 12:50 PM
The one consistent thing about Owens throughout his career is it is all about him. .
thats okay he's a bill now so we forgive him. But Peters on the other hand.... That fat me,me,me guy can crap in his pants for all we care now that he's gone.

Ickybaluky
05-27-2009, 01:15 PM
NE stop causing trouble.

Sorry, Thurm. I'll give you some of this virtual money so you won't hate me.

Philagape
05-27-2009, 01:27 PM
Did Owens not give 100 percent while on the field in a game? If not, then he's not comparable to Peters.
Peters is a cancer not because he wanted more money, not even because he held out under contract, but because he admittedly let his dispute affect his play on the field. He said it.