• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madness
    • Apr 2003

CB's Fan Friday 5-22

Fan Friday 5-22

By Chris Brown - Posted May 22nd, 2009
    OTAs are underway and fans are checking up on their favorites. Enjoy the holiday weekend everybody. I’ll catch up with you on Tuesday… unless something happens between now and then.
    1. Hey Chris,
    With OTAs underway, everyone’s really excited to see what’s going on with T.O. I’m more interested in how my boy Marshawn Lynch is looking. How has he fared so far in the OTA sessions? Has he seen less carries to make way for Fred and Dominic?
    Jay
    Macon, Ga.
    CB: Lynch has looked explosive and has bobbed and weaved well in and out of traffic and through holes. He also looks smooth in the passing game. I think the second year in Turk’s offensive system is allowing him to play faster, which is a scary thought.
    With respect to Fred and Dominic, Rhodes is just getting a handle on the system and is being used sparingly. Jackson meanwhile has been split out a lot, and I mean a lot. More so than he was last year. That’s very telling considering the depth the Bills have a WR. Jackson has been out wide more than Parrish as far as I have seen.

2. hey chris, thanks for taking time to answer the question. besides the potential signing of tinoisamoa, are the bills looking at upgrading their linebacker core by free agency or are they content with who they have on the roster?

ryan
    CB: I think Tinoisamoa remains an option, but at the right price. He’d be no more than a two down LB for the Bills because I think Poz and Mitchell would still be the nickel LBs, so spending big money wouldn’t make sense. As for upgrading linebacker, I think they’d look at it, but I don’t sense it as being a major pressing issue for them. They’ve got some young talent in Bowen.

3. Hey Chris,
    Just wondering,who are the 5-10 walk ons or udfa s that the Bills have brought forward.
    Every spring I love these guys because the Bills always gives them a fair shake and because they are there primarily because they love the game.
    CB: Well there weren’t as many signed as initially anticipated. The tryout players from the rookie camp that were signed were CB Kyle Ward, long snapper Garrison Sanborn and DE Jermaine McGhee. Sanborn probably has the best chance to land on the practice squad.

4. With the trade of Peters and a big boost to out WR will Buffalo go get some Vet. help for our line so Edwards can have time to throw the ball?? I know in FA there is still Jon Runyan and even ol’ Jonas Jennings do you think we will go after them and if not why???
    CB: I don’t see either player as an option. Buffalo has some depth at backup tackle. Kirk Chambers has proven to be a steady swing tackle and Demetrius Bell looks like he’s ready to provide competition for that role. Runyan is at the end of the line and gutted it out last season. Jonas Jennings was injury prone as a young player here. Now that he’s older I don’t see that situation improving. Liked him as a player, but it’s more about availability. As for interior veterans they picked up McKinney and Chambers is working at guard.

5. Hey Chris,
    I know we drafted Shawn Nelson who I like a lot but with all the WR we have this year I was wondering what you think about Steve Johnson getting converted to TE. He has the size and body, I like Steve and really hope he gets more playing time but I would really like to see him at TE. No LB will be able to keep up with his speed and his hands are solid I think he would be one of the best TE in the game.
    matt from Rochester
    CB: It’s an interesting proposal, but I don’t see it happening. I think Johnson has a good chance to see more time on the field. He established a good chemistry with Trent Edwards down the stretch last season and I believe will be featured in the slot during four wide formations. You’re right he knows how to pluck the ball out of the air and can shield defenders from the ball. I think he’s got a bright future.
  • psubills62
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2008

Re: CB's Fan Friday 5-22

I just don't understand #5...and why CB even bothered to answer it.

Steve Johnson would need to put on at least 40-50 pounds before he is TE size. Not to mention learn to block.

He showed promise as a receiver, more so than our 2nd round pick, and we'll need WR's after this year with Owens and possibly Reed leaving. What is the point of moving Steve Johnson to tight end, especially when we just drafted Nelson?

Just an absolutely pointless question, imo....
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• The Spaz
      • Mar 2003

What ****** asked if Steve Johnson can be a TE? What a tool.

Comment

• madness
        • Apr 2003

CB: Lynch has looked explosive and has bobbed and weaved well in and out of traffic and through holes. He also looks smooth in the passing game. I think the second year in Turk’s offensive system is allowing him to play faster, which is a scary thought.
        With respect to Fred and Dominic, Rhodes is just getting a handle on the system and is being used sparingly. Jackson meanwhile has been split out a lot, and I mean a lot. More so than he was last year. That’s very telling considering the depth the Bills have a WR. Jackson has been out wide more than Parrish as far as I have seen.
        Marshawn better have learned his damn lesson.

Jackson lining up in the slot is just downright scary. There's so much that could be done with the offense... I just hope Turk doesn't suffer from information overload.

Comment

• madness
          • Apr 2003

I'm wondering if CB picks these questions out of a hat.

Comment

• Ginger Vitis
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by madness
            CB: I think Tinoisamoa remains an option, but at the right price. He’d be no more than a two down LB for the Bills because I think Poz and Mitchell would still be the nickel LBs, so spending big money wouldn’t make sense. As for upgrading linebacker, I think they’d look at it, but I don’t sense it as being a major pressing issue for them. They’ve got some young talent in Bowen.
            Chris Brown has always wore rose coloured glasses but to say Bowen is a young talent the Bills can count on? Someone who has never played a down in the NFL and was a 5th Round pick and coming off a major injury?

Comment

• TigerJ
              • Jul 2002

I said a while back that I thought Jackson's versatility might make him an option if the Bills run a no huddle. They can use Lynch anmd Jackson together on the field. Then they can either split Jackson out or stick him in the backfield with Lynch. It would cause some matchup headaches for the defense that the Bills can take advantage of. Then if you've got Shawn Nelson in the lineup at the same time lining up tight or split out you can further complicate matters for the defense. I don't think a linebacker is going to be able to cover either Jackson or Nelson when they go on pass routes. That means defenses will have to have DBs lined up in coverage. But then because of the no huddle defenses are stuck with the extra DBs on the field when the Bils with the same personnel line up in a running formation, or run Lynch when the bills have both Nelson and Jackson split out wide in a spread formation. It makes me drool a little bit when I contemplate the headaches that can give defenses.
              I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• jimbohastle51
                All-Pro Zoner
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Doctor Zhivago
                Chris Brown has always wore rose coloured glasses but to say Bowen is a young talent the Bills can count on? Someone who has never played a down in the NFL and was a 5th Round pick and coming off a major injury?
                modrak him self just refered to bowen as a backup/special teams player not too long ago. i am sick of people talking about the kid like he is soooooo special. he came from a bad football program at iowa st. and that is in the crap side of the big 12 and also he couldnt even get through a NFL training camp last season. he is not the second coming or anything close to it. nick harris has a better chance at competing for a starting spot that bowen.

Comment

• The Spaz
                  • Mar 2003

All I know is Ellison sucks balls. So let's hope Pisa is signed or Bowen and Harris can beat him out.

Comment

• Mitchell55
                    only another 1000 mocks due by tomorrow!
                    • Feb 2008

Yeah Johnson can play TE. Sure.

Comment

• Mudflap1
                      Next Question!
                      • Nov 2004

I'm wondering if CB picks these questions out of a hat.
                      When you only get five questions emailed to you... the pickings are slim for the column...

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

[B]
                        CB: Lynch has looked explosive and has bobbed and weaved well in and out of traffic a.

I hope it wasn't raining ..... er I mean WTH is wrong with CB?
                        Last edited by justasportsfan; 05-22-2009, 09:18 PM.
                        sacrifice1
                        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

Working...
                        X