• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BILLSROCK1212
    !?!?!?!?!?
    • Mar 2006

Reports: Maybin "Brutal" in OTAs

MAYBIN LOOKING ROUGH SO FAR IN OTAS
    Posted by Mike Florio on May 23, 2009, 11:19 p.m.
    The eleventh overall pick in the 2009 draft hopes has some similarities to the eleventh overall pick from seven years ago.

Both men, Aaron Maybin and Dwight Freeney, entered the league as guys who were viewed as potentially strong contributors to the pass rush, but possible liabilities in the running game.

For Freeney, things have worked out, as that six-year, $72 million contract confirms. For Maybin, who’s listed three inches taller but nearly 20 pounds lighter, there’s a long way to go.

And it could be that Maybin has a really long way to go, based on his performance in the team’s opening round of Organized Team Activities.

“Brutal” is the adjective that’s making the rounds. Per the team’s official web site, Maybin was sprinkled in with the first team on Wednesday. At one point on Tuesday, he got into a skirmish with tackle Chris Denman.

So at a time when quality performances are being attributed to the fact that everyone looks good when practicing in T-shirts and shorts, it remains to be seen whether Maybin will become an underwear all-star.

Find all of the latest ProFootballTalk news, live coverage, videos, highlights, stats, predictions, and results right here on NBC Sports.

I hope this isn't a sign of things to come...
  • MassEffect218435
    • Apr 2009

Re: Reports: Maybin "Brutal" in OTAs

Seems a little premature to be making these types of statements, how about waiting at least until training camp before throwing stuff like this out there? There is only so much you can tell about a guy who is in shorts and a t-shirt.

Comment

• TigerJ
      • Jul 2002

How does one react to something like this? you can't know if Maybin's performance was actually characterized by someone in the organization as "brutal" because no one would ever own up to a comment like that. So it could be an insider's genuine observation, or it could be just so much unfounded drivel, like a lot of stuff Florio reports. Suppose it is an insider's actual comment. Does that really have value as a predicter of things to come for Maybin's career? Hardly! He could be a bust, or he could be a star, or he could be somewhere in between, but what he does in a 3 day OTA will have little bearing on what he will become. OTAs for rookies are about learning what's expected of them in terms of techniques, stunts, etc. Where do I line up when such and such a call is made? How can I keep the OT from getting his hands on my jersey? How do I keep containment if there's a chance this turns out to be a running play, yet still get some pressure if it's not? If he was brutal, it has nothing to do with physical talent because they aren't running anything at more than half or 3/4 speed anyway. It's about starting to get a handle on things mentally. It would be nice if he came in and discovered everything he is being asked to do is exactly like he did it in college, but that's not going to happen. College is a different game, a much simpler game. Moreover, Maybin was a red shirt sophomore last season. He hadn't learned all he could have learned in college. In interviews he comes across as intelligent. He seems instinctive in his play, as well as having off the chart quickness in the pass rush. I wouldn't worry too much just yet.
      I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• rcd333
        • Mar 2007

brutal sounded like a good thing when i first looked at the thread

Comment

• The Spaz
          • Mar 2003

So he gets in a skirmish with Denman and he's "brutal". I'll take this seriously when they get the pads.

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

I don't know how credible this guy is, but if this report is even remotely accurate, it's very discouraging.

Maybin was the only "upgrade" to a lackluster pass rush in a defensive system that depends on the pass rush.

This is going to be a brutal season.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

I don't know how credible this guy is, but if this report is even remotely accurate, it's very discouraging.

Maybin was the only "upgrade" to a lackluster pass rush in a defensive system that depends on the pass rush.

This is going to be a brutal season.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Ebenezer
                Give me a minute...
                • Jul 2002

I'll be ready to discuss Maybin's performance.....in mid September...maybe later.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Ebenezer
                  I'll be ready to discuss Maybin's performance.....in mid September...maybe later.
                  yeah yeah yeah..... I hear this every year.

"It's just OTA's- wait til training camp"
                  "It's just training camp- wait til preseason"
                  "It's just preseason-wait til the regular season"
                  "It's just the regular season.... oh ****"

I'm sure he'll magically go from "brutal" to NFL-caliber DE in 4 months. Happens all the time.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Ebenezer
                    Give me a minute...
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
                    yeah yeah yeah..... I hear this every year.

"It's just OTA's- wait til training camp"
                    "It's just training camp- wait til preseason"
                    "It's just preseason-wait til the regular season"
                    "It's just the regular season.... oh ****"

I'm sure he'll magically go from "brutal" to NFL-caliber DE in 4 months. Happens all the time.
                    why don't you go back and read what I said the day he was drafted...

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Crisis
                      • Aug 2004

shut up op...if the report was maybin looked great you'd say it means nothing

either way it means nothing
                      Originally posted by LOSman WINS
                      Vanek is Austrian not European
                      Originally posted by Prov401
                      Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
                      Originally posted by better days
                      I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

Comment

• casdhf
                        • Jul 2002

Maybin was labeled as explosive and raw, right ... so this shouldn't be a suprise to anyone. He'll get there, it just takes time.
                        Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
                        cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                          • May 2003

It's May, folks, relax.
                          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• The Spaz
                            • Mar 2003

Hey the GQ QB for the Jets is apparently sucking...

Comment

• SquishDaFish
                              Lets GO BUFFALO!!
                              • Jun 2005

Jesus OP its way to early to tell how anyone is going to be.

Comment

Working...
                              X