Whitner 9th best saftey in NFL per sporting news...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sauce
    • Dec 2008

Whitner 9th best saftey in NFL per sporting news...

Whitner gets alot of hate on this MB....glad to see scouts have him in the top 10. His play will only rise if the Bills get a pass rush

Oh btw do you see Micheal Huff on that list because I dont

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=553552

Safety rankings: Reed, Polamalu are pure playmakers
    E-MAIL PRINT COMMENTS 27 WATCH THIS TOPIC
    Posted: May 27, 2009
    The salty veterans still lead this group, but there are some promising young players on the rise. Several have made the list while several others just missed. With the next generation emerging, this list could look a lot different a year from now. RealScouts, Sporting News' team of former NFL scouts, rank their top 20 safeties for '09:

1. Ed Reed, Ravens. Reed was the only unanimous selection for the 2008 All-Pro team and rightly so. He led the NFL with nine interceptions and returned two for touchdowns, and he tacked on another TD in the playoffs. The system won't change in Baltimore this year, and Reed is on his way to a Hall of Fame career if he can stay healthy.

2. Troy Polamalu, Steelers. Polamalu was healthy for all 16 games and the postseason for the first time since 2005 and turned in a career-high seven interceptions in 2008. He's a high-energy player who can do it all, from blitzing to tackling to playing in coverage. He can attack from anywhere on the field.

3. Adrian Wilson, Cardinals. Wilson is not quite as dominant as he was earlier in his career, but he can still excel in most aspects of the game. Wilson is at his best playing close to the line, but he also makes plays on the ball in coverage. He has great size and can deliver big hits with the best of them.

4. Bob Sanders, Colts. Sanders played in just six games in 2008, and there is a chance he might not be healthy for the start of 2009. He is a game-changing player who has great range and is a punishing tackler, but he has struggled to stay healthy throughout his career.

5. Chris Hope, Titans. Returning from a spinal injury in 2007, Hope earned Pro Bowl honors last season. He's not a flashy player, but he is extremely productive and consistently plays at a high level. He's willing in run support and shows good range and route recognition in coverage. He has missed just five games over the past six seasons.

6. Nick Collins, Packers. Collins is a four-year starter who burst onto the scene in 2008 with seven interceptions, including three returned for scores. He has excellent range as a center field-type safety and has the speed to cover a lot of ground and make plays with the ball in his hands. A Pro Bowler last season, he should excel in Green Bay's new zone schemes.

7. Brian Dawkins, Broncos. Though he still can play at a high level, Dawkins, 35, is closer to the end of his career than he would like to admit. He's a strong tackler who is excellent near the line. But blitzing and coverage aren't his strengths, and we're curious to see how he does in a non-Jim Johnson system.

8. Michael Griffin, Titans. His seven interceptions were tied for second in the NFL last season, and he earned a Pro Bowl spot as Ed Reed's replacement. He's emerging as one of the best young safeties in the league, with a combination of size, speed and athleticism that makes him excellent in deep coverage.

9. Donte Whitner, Bills. Pending legal issues aside, Whitner is an instinctive playmaker who can play in traffic or in space. He is a rising young player who has a physical style and is strong in run support.

10. Kerry Rhodes, Jets. He is a playmaker who can excel in coverage or make an impact near the line as a run defender or blitzer. He figures to benefit from Rex Ryan's aggressive scheme and will likely align all over the field in a Ed Reed type of role. Look for him to return to Pro Bowl form this season.

11. Ken Hamlin, Cowboys. He has great range and can track down a lot of balls playing center field. He is at his best jumping routes in zone coverage but can also match up with tight ends and wideouts in the slot.
  • THATHURMANATOR
    • Jul 2002

Re: Whitner 9th best saftey in NFL per sporting news...

Oh my god why did you post this?

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

strong in run support? Like when he got flattened twice last year? Or when he took bad angles against the Giants 3 times in one game? And where did this "physical" style thing come from? He rarely if ever makes big hits, unless the guy is already 8 yards into the endzone.

And once again, the myth of Whitner supercedes the reality.
      Last edited by OpIv37; 05-28-2009, 10:16 AM.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• psubills62
        Legendary Zoner
        • Sep 2008

I'm very surprised to not see Antoine Bethea, Indy's other safety, on that list. Bethea's range and skills are the main reason that 1) Bob Sanders can play the box like he does, and 2) very few deep passes are completed on the Colts. I believe one of the last couple years they led the league in fewest long TD passes allowed. He's a very good safety and much better than some of the others on that list.
        "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
        - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
          Zero for Zero!
          • Mar 2003

6 minutes.

Op is slipping in his old age.
          Originally posted by mysticsoto
          Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• psubills62
            Legendary Zoner
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by OpIv37
            strong in run support? Like when he got flattened twice last week? Or when he took bad angles against the Giants 3 times in one game? And where did this "physical" style thing come from? He rarely if ever makes big hits, unless the guy is already 8 yards into the endzone.

And once again, the myth of Whitner supercedes the reality.
            I find it a little funny that you continue to belabor the "8 yards deep in the end zone" thing while you and others ream me out for mentioning the big hit on Chad Johnson. Both of them only happened once, and it's not like either of them define the way Whitner plays.

I'm not necessarily defending him because I think he needs to step up this year for sure. I just find it ironic that you constantly remind us of the "8 yards deep in the end zone" thing, but when I mentioned the huge hit on Johnson...well, that only happened once so it obviously has no bearing on analysis of Whitner's career, right?
            "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
            - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by sauce
              Oh btw do you see Micheal Huff on that list because I dont
              Huff not being worth the 7th pick has nothing to do with whether Whitner was worth the 8th pick or whether Whitner deserves to be so high on the list.

I just don't understand the obsession with this guy. He's average at best on the the field, he's never lived up to expectations, he runs his mouth, and he gets in trouble off the field. Yet, everyone treats him like a god and refuses to criticize him, even when he's clearly wrong. The constant defense of mediocrity is nauseating.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by psubills62
                I find it a little funny that you continue to belabor the "8 yards deep in the end zone" thing while you and others ream me out for mentioning the big hit on Chad Johnson. Both of them only happened once, and it's not like either of them define the way Whitner plays.

I'm not necessarily defending him because I think he needs to step up this year for sure. I just find it ironic that you constantly remind us of the "8 yards deep in the end zone" thing, but when I mentioned the huge hit on Johnson...well, that only happened once so it obviously has no bearing on analysis of Whitner's career, right?
                I threw it in there more to be sarcastic than anything else. I know he only did it once.

But there's a key difference. Go into the advanced search and do a search for "Whitner" and "hard hitter" to see how many times the reference comes up. It's commonly accepted that the guy is a hard hitter even though he's had ONE in his entire career.

He doesn't have that same link to making late hits- as he shouldn't- but people like to defend St. Donte constantly and tend to have selective memories when it comes to him. That's why people like me have to keep reminding everyone of that little incident.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• bigbub2352
                  • Feb 2005

i will have to respectfulyl disagree with him being 9th in the league, im sorry i just dont see it, he misses alot of tackles in the box, he is an arm tackler, and he isnt physical like this article states, and he is not a ball hawk he just may be to small to play SS and mite be better off as a CB or FS,
                  I know alot of people like him, im just not that impressed
                  would have served us better if Ngata was the 8th overall pick
                  Last edited by bigbub2352; 05-28-2009, 10:25 AM.
                  XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• Tatonka
                    • Jul 2002

OP.. you are the only one that seems obsessed with whitner.
                    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                      Peterman Sucks!
                      • Mar 2006

I would like to meet Whitner and ask him how he went from being an awesome safety at Ohio St to pathetically average and another guy in the NFL.

Instinctive playmaker? I'd like to ask the author of this crap what play, let alone plays that playmakers generally make, has Donte made since becoming a Bill.

Just one. BTW, tackling Johnnie Lee Higgins 7 yards deep in the endzone doesn't count.

Comment

• Dying_-2-_Live
                        • Feb 2009

Donte Whitner is a safety... he can only do so much himself. He is not great, but I do believe he is very solid.
                        "If you ain't first... You're last"

Comment

• TheMan08
                          Knocks only the living.
                          • Oct 2008

HOW THE **** IS WHITNER RANKED HIGHER THAN KERRY RHODES???

Comment

• more cowbell
                            • Apr 2006

agreed....I have no idea how anyone can think whitner is better than rhodes
                            The last time the Bills made the playoffs was 1999.

Comment

• mayotm
                              • Jul 2003

Number 9 is probably a little high. Then again, he's not as bad as some on this site claim he is. The truth is likely somewhere in the middle.
                              Last edited by mayotm; 05-28-2009, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X