• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PA Season Ticket Holder
    You mess up my night, and I'll mess up your day
    • Jul 2002

Saints Focusing On Howard

As New Orleans receiver Joe Horn continues to posture for a new contract in the Bayou, word out of New Orleans is that the team's biggest focus at this time is defensive end Darren Howard.

Howard, a second-round pick in 2000, is slated to become an unrestricted free agent following the 2003 season. In three years with the Saints, he has started every game, bagging 11 sacks as a rookie, 6 in 2001, and 8 last season.

The fact that Howard racked up eight sacks in 2002 is impressive, given that defensive tackle La'Roi Glover had bolted for Dallas and defensive tackle Norman Hand generally took a step backwards (which resulted in him taking a step out of New Orleans).

Howard likely will command a contract in excess of $30 million. The fact that, unlike Horn, he's not taking a "pay-me-now-or-else" approach should prompt the Saints (in our view) to take care of Howard sooner rather than later -- and to continue to force Horn to honor his existing deal.

Find all the latest ProFootballTalk news, live coverage, videos, highlights, stats, predictions, and results right here on NBC Sports.

BUFFALO BILLS AND MLB POOLS

http://www.billszone.com/YourSite/global/nfl/pool.php?action=home
Working...
X