PDA

View Full Version : Holt makes it to minicamp

PA Season Ticket Holder
05-18-2003, 05:24 PM
Wide receiver Torry Holt was in town to catch passes today at Rams minicamp. And if all goes well, he could be signed to a new contract by the end of the day.

Despite earlier reports that Holt might skip this weekend's full-squad minicamp unless he got a new contract, Holt phoned coach Mike Martz on Wednesday morning and told him otherwise.

"He really felt like the right thing to do was to be here," Martz said. "And I feel like he's felt that way all along. I can't imagine Torry not wanting to be here. I mean, that's just not Torry."

Holt was on hand for Thursday evening's team meeting at Rams Park. Beyond that, Holt's agent, Greg Williams, is scheduled to meet with Rams president of football operations Jay Zygmunt Friday at Rams Park, a sign that the two sides are close to an agreement.

The Rams have had a contract offer on the table for more than a week. According to team sources, it is basically the same contract that Isaac Bruce signed in August 2000. That contract is worth $42.1 million over seven years, including a signing bonus of $11.55 million.

Holt has one year left on the original five-year, $10 million deal he signed with the Rams as the No. 6 overall pick in the 1999 draft. But he has been eager to redo his contract since the start of the 2002 season.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/Sports/Rams/A21E1D127E42DA0D86256D28001462A0?OpenDocument