PDA

View Full Version : Trade for Kampman?

Mahdi
05-29-2009, 10:33 AM
Kampman is obviously not happy about this scheme change. After 7 years as a pure DE and plenty of production to go with it they are asking him to drop into coverage.

Bob Sanders would probably love to have Kampman who can be a bridge to Maybin. Also, how healthy Schobel really is is unknown and who knows if he even has the motivation.

Im guessing you can get Kampman for a third or at most a second round choice.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/05/29/reports-kampman-unhappy-with-position-change/

justasportsfan
05-29-2009, 10:38 AM
Kampman for Kelsay? Sure. But I doubt the Packers bite.

ddaryl
05-29-2009, 10:39 AM
he won''t be traded. Greenbay can't afford the hole that they won't be able ot fill

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
05-29-2009, 10:40 AM
Nah, never going to happen.

Mahdi
05-29-2009, 10:45 AM
he won''t be traded. Greenbay can't afford the hole that they won't be able ot fill
I disagree because I doubt the Pack pay him 5 mil a season to play a position that he 1) doesnt want to play, 2) Isn't suited for, and 3) When they have other more suitable options for his OLB spot such as Chillar, Poppinga, Jeremy Thompson and Spencer Havner.

Hawk, Clay Mathews and Nick Barnett are already locks to start at the other LB spots.

http://www.packers.com/team/depth_chart/

Mahdi
05-29-2009, 10:48 AM
Plus we already have Aaron Schobel and Aaron Maybin, might as well have Aaron Kampman too.

justasportsfan
05-29-2009, 10:48 AM
Isn't suited for, and 3)
http://www.packers.com/team/depth_chart/
according to the link he is suited for the position and should make more plays as long as he's willing to buy into the system.

OpIv37
05-29-2009, 10:50 AM
I'd LOVE to see this happen, but unfortunately it's real life and not Madden. As much as it sucks, we're just going to have to accept the fact that our DE's are Schobel, Kelsay, Maybin, Denney and Ellis.

Mahdi
05-29-2009, 10:50 AM
according to the link he is suited for the position and should make more plays as long as he's willing to buy into the system.
Yeah, I highly doubt the coaches will say he isn't suited.

IMO Kampman is not a OLB in a 3-4.

Mahdi
05-29-2009, 10:51 AM
I'd LOVE to see this happen, but unfortunately it's real life and not Madden. As much as it sucks, we're just going to have to accept the fact that our DE's are Schobel, Kelsay, Maybin, Denney and Ellis.
Its really not that far fetched. We did trade for Stroud did we not?

justasportsfan
05-29-2009, 10:52 AM
Yeah, I highly doubt the coaches will say he isn't suited.

IMO Kampman is not a OLB in a 3-4.

then they would try to talk to him into staying or buying into the system would they? What FO in their right mind would be willing to try and keep someone who isn't a fit? :idunno:

OpIv37
05-29-2009, 10:54 AM

well, Jacksonville was looking to unload Stroud and it was well known that he was on the trading block. Kampmann's just too good and GB doesn't have a real replacement for him. I think the Bills understand their issue at DE and I think they'd pull the trigger for the right price, but I don't see GB being willing to unload him.

Mahdi
05-29-2009, 10:56 AM
then they would try to talk to him into staying or buying into the system would they? What FO in their right mind would be willing to try and keep someone who isn't a fit? :idunno:
Its not like other teams have not done similar things when converting to a new scheme.

Kampman was the best player on their DL and they dont want to give him away but they might find out that they have no choice.

Mahdi
05-29-2009, 10:59 AM
well, Jacksonville was looking to unload Stroud and it was well known that he was on the trading block. Kampmann's just too good and GB doesn't have a real replacement for him. I think the Bills understand their issue at DE and I think they'd pull the trigger for the right price, but I don't see GB being willing to unload him.
But that is just it. GB got a replacement for him when they drafted Clay Mathews. Once the Pack switched to a 3-4 Kampman's value in the defense dropped dramatically.

He is a pure 4-3 DE that they are experimenting with as a OLB. And the article indicates that he looks stiff and out of place in coverage as a OLB.

justasportsfan
05-29-2009, 11:00 AM
Del Rio didn't want Stroud anymore . According to the link they want Kampman to stay and give the system a chance.

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
05-29-2009, 11:02 AM
I think Kampman can play like a 34 end though, he just needs to add a little frame (5-10 kg) and he would have the proper pieces to succeed in the positon, although I think it's kind of improper to have such an elite player in one position and try to move it to another position (and that's of course the reason why Kampman wants out).

Let me wonder:

- - - - - - - Kampman - Jolly/Pickett - ??? - - - - - - - -
- - Hawk - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Mathews -
- - - - - - - - - - - Barnett - Poppinga - - - - - - - - - -

Mahdi
05-29-2009, 11:02 AM
Del Rio didn't want Stroud anymore . According to the link they want Kampman to stay and give the system a chance.
I agree. I just think that the Pack are HOPING they're best DL player can make the change but I think they will find out that his skills dont translate.

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
05-29-2009, 11:04 AM
It's a big risk but considering the Packs are making the change what can they do about it?

Mahdi
05-29-2009, 11:04 AM
I think Kampman can play like a 34 end though, he just needs to add a little frame (5-10 kg) and he would have the proper pieces to succeed in the positon, although I think it's kind of improper to have such an elite player in one position and try to move it to another position (and that's of course the reason why Kampman wants out).

Let me wonder:

- - - - - - - Kampman - Jolly/Pickett - ??? - - - - - - - -
- - Hawk - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Mathews -
- - - - - - - - - - - Barnett - Poppinga - - - - - - - - - -
No way.

Kampman cannot play 3-4 DE. He is 265 and 3-4 DEs are 300 plus. They dont even have him listed as a DL player anymore. He is listed with the LBs.

They already have Jenkins, Harrell and Jolly as their DEs with Pickett and Raji as their NTs. Kampman cant compete on the DL with those guys in place.

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
05-29-2009, 11:11 AM
There are a lot of 34 ends in the range of 280-300 and there is not a big distance between 265 and 285 (it's about five kilograms of difference).

But anyway, I was just "wondering". I wouldn't do that move myself and considering Mathews is still and unknown Kampman will obviously play like the edge rusher.

Still I don't think it's too crazy to use him as 34 end.

Mahdi
05-29-2009, 11:16 AM
There are a lot of 34 ends in the range of 280-300 and there is not a big distance between 265 and 285 (it's about five kilograms of difference).

But anyway, I was just "wondering". I wouldn't do that move myself and considering Mathews is still and unknown Kampman will obviously play like the edge rusher.

Still I don't think it's too crazy to use him as 34 end.
5kgs does not equal 20 pounds.

5kgs equals 11 pounds.

Which means Kamp would have to add 10 kgs at least. And that would make him one of the lighter 3-4 DEs in the league.

Mahdi
05-29-2009, 11:26 AM
Here are the 3-4 DEs in our Division..

Merling - 290
Langford - 290
Starks - 305

Seymour -310
Warren -300
Wright -295

Ellis -285
Douglas- 292
Devito -298

No way Kamp puts on that much weight and I doubt he would even entertain that idea.

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
05-29-2009, 02:16 PM
Bah, I got lost in the conversation.

Night Train
05-29-2009, 03:55 PM
Kampman is obviously not happy about this scheme change. After 7 years as a pure DE and plenty of production to go with it they are asking him to drop into coverage.
Our DE's are asked to run with RB's 20 yards downfield. You have watched the games recently, yes ?

So I guess he's not coming here either.

Spiderweb
05-30-2009, 03:10 PM
No way.

Kampman cannot play 3-4 DE. He is 265 and 3-4 DEs are 300 plus. They dont even have him listed as a DL player anymore. He is listed with the LBs.

They already have Jenkins, Harrell and Jolly as their DEs with Pickett and Raji as their NTs. Kampman cant compete on the DL with those guys in place.
Hummm....

Bruce Smith...260's......Phil Hansen....270's.....

Yeah, I see your point....

Mahdi
06-01-2009, 09:18 AM
Our DE's are asked to run with RB's 20 yards downfield. You have watched the games recently, yes ?

So I guess he's not coming here either.
I dont see your point... Why is it that Kampman cant be a fit as a DE in our scheme?

Mahdi
06-01-2009, 09:19 AM
Hummm....

Bruce Smith...260's......Phil Hansen....270's.....

Yeah, I see your point....
O you mean 15 years ago.

Show me one good DE in a 3-4 in today's game under 285. You should probably do some research before you make that comment.

methos4ever
06-02-2009, 09:11 AM
Well that's not something they're supposed to be doing every day and there's a difference between a zone dog where the DE is just jumping to the flat/curl area and an OLB that has to carry a TE up the seam.