PDA

View Full Version : Maybin's snaps thus far are on the left, not right.

yordad
05-29-2009, 10:21 PM
Maybin's snaps thus far are on the Left, not right. Link
(http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/maybin-striving-to-be-ready/48d644dd-45c9-4c6e-b2a7-06bbd3ac9d0f)

Maybin has been running with the second team defense at left defensive end.
I could really see his burst being a problem for a RT. Plus, if Schobel is healthy, it could get Maybin on the field faster.

It is confirmed and unofficial.

The Spaz
05-29-2009, 10:24 PM
confirmed yet unofficial?

casdhf
05-29-2009, 10:24 PM
It shouldn't be a surprise, he spent most of his time at college at LE

yordad
05-29-2009, 10:28 PM
confirmed yet unofficial?Yep. And I said it with a straight face and everything, lol. I felt like Leslie Nielsen.

TigerJ
05-29-2009, 11:10 PM
The plan at the moment is to rotate Maybin in for Kelsay on obvious passing downs. The point was made after the draft that Maybin switched around at Penn State and played both sides. That is apparently a policy of Penn State's defensive coordinator. I wouldn't be surprised if Maybin eventually becomes Schobel's successor, but designated pass rusher from the left side is his ticket for getting in the game early as a rookie.

Yasgur's Farm
05-30-2009, 07:13 AM
I expected him to be on the left.

Night Train
05-30-2009, 07:23 AM
Sounds " Brutal ".

Quick, notify Florio and his blind disciples so they can dig up all their cliches of guaranteed failure...

WeAreArthurMoates
05-30-2009, 09:38 AM
I love him on the left side, will bring a Robert Mathis element to the pass rush. If Schobel is healthy, this could be very good.

theanswer74
05-30-2009, 09:59 AM
Sounds " Brutal ".

Quick, notify Florio and his blind disciples so they can dig up all their cliches of guaranteed failure...

Mark Gaughan of the Buffalo News doesnt agree with Florio.

2:56
[Comment From Joe, nyc]
profootball talk had an article saying that sources told them Maybin looked really lost in OTA's..is that true?

2:58
I've been there for every practice and I don't buy it. ... Again, I think it's downright silly to read too much into T-shirt and shorts practices, particularly with linemen. And as far as being lost goes, DE is not going to be one of the more complicated positions. Now a rookie WR or TE - like Shawn Nelson - I think he's going to struggle early, and he is struggling early -- which is to be expected. http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/2009/05/mark-gaughans-live-chat-3.html

OpIv37
05-30-2009, 01:50 PM
I have no love for Schobel, but he's better than Kelsay and I think we'll be better off with Schobel and Maybin on the field in pass rush situations rather than Schobel/Kelsay or Kelsay/Mabin.

acehole
05-30-2009, 02:05 PM
It shouldn't be a surprise, he spent most of his time at college at LE

add that to the fact we were shopping kelsay and it isnt a shocker..

Night Train
05-30-2009, 04:21 PM
Mark Gaughan of the Buffalo News doesnt agree with Florio.

2:56
[Comment From Joe, nyc]
profootball talk had an article saying that sources told them Maybin looked really lost in OTA's..is that true?

2:58
I've been there for every practice and I don't buy it. ... Again, I think it's downright silly to read too much into T-shirt and shorts practices, particularly with linemen. And as far as being lost goes, DE is not going to be one of the more complicated positions. Now a rookie WR or TE - like Shawn Nelson - I think he's going to struggle early, and he is struggling early -- which is to be expected.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/2009/05/mark-gaughans-live-chat-3.html

Thanks. Common sense doesn't play well here, as you know.

I heard the same concerning Nelson, which is understood. Meanwhile, Fine has been impressing the coaches, from local reports. Crisp patterns and great hands.

I'm bullish long term. I really like the additions over the last couple of years. Jauron is the biggest question moreso than his roster, which still has a couple shortages. I'm not expecting much this year but that would mean April is our next coach and I'm more than OK with that. The players respond to him and this team is building a good core of talent. :up:

methos4ever
05-30-2009, 10:32 PM
If anything, having him line up over the RT will allow him to use his speed against someone that's more in tune with blocking the "power" LDE. And you can scheme him and the Sam working in tandem on blitzes and freeing one or both up.

John Doe
05-31-2009, 06:06 AM
Modrak (and I believe Jauron as well) made the comment that one of Maybin's features is that he can play either side.

One of the things just to start from the beginning is he’s good on both sides of the ball right or left defensive end which is not always the case for players, but his quick first step is equally good on both sides of the ball.

That could translate into more playing time by rotating him Schobel on occasion and having him play left end on obvious passing downs.

If Schobel were to be injured, Maybin might start from the right side.

And, as far as Maybin being "brutal"

Maybin continues to impress.

We've heard reports that DE Aaron Maybin has been impressive on-field (very) early in his Bills career. The first reward of that impression may have come Wednesday, as Maybin saw his first reps with the top defensive unit:

Aaron Maybin was sprinkled in with the first team defense during the course of practice Wednesday. He was mainly inserted during the run fit portion of practice.

This isn't terribly surprising - it was going to happen at some point, as Maybin is going to play a substantial amount of snaps this season - but to hear it happening this quickly is encouraging.

[URL=]http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2009/5/20/881745/bills-qb-edwards-knocking-the-rust (]http://www.wben.com/Bills-Select-Aaron-Maybin/4271321[/URL)

lmcshadow
05-31-2009, 06:17 PM
:limpclap: ...............or:blowup: