X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yordad
    • Dec 2007

I hope Trent doesn't crumble...

I hope Trent doesn't crumble. Can you imagine the pressure he is under? A part of me wants to go into detail, but I think yall know what I mean. I bet he feels like the weight of Buffalo (the city, the team, and the animal)) is on him sometimes.

OK, I will mention a couple obvious things.

1). Big Football town with a heartbreak past
    2). The playoff drought
    3). TO- and alot of others to make happy
    4). Year 3, the year
    5). The backup kinda sucks
    6). His O-tackles aren't the best
    7). The offense is kind of stacked, and he is one of the biggest question mark.
    8). The coaches could get axed if he doesn't pan out now.
    9). His future is at stake.

OH yeah, so if the heavy pressure doesn't get him, he better not get injured. He is the key this year. I hope, but I do not believe. I would say there is a 50% chance he get injured. And, if he doesn't, there is a 40% chance he puts it together. That gives him a 20ish % chance of success in my estimation.

Root hard fellow fans. This guy could use all the support he can get right now.
    "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad
  • mchurchfie
    • Jul 2002

Re: I hope Trent doesn't crumble...

There is a part of me that is a little wary of his mental toughness after the way he froze in that Cleveland game last year. I hope he is past that.
    My Band
    daveviterna.com

Comment

• BidsJr
      • Sep 2002

You mean the one that he almost overcame by leading the team back?
      "Well I drink too much and get punched in the head by fighters for fun, so my memory isn't so great." -OpIv37

Comment

• ServoBillieves
        The Voice of Reason
        • Jul 2007

There are a lot of Trent doubters, but there's just something in his swagger and his ability to mentally handle the game that I know HE won't crumble, my trouble is with the offensive line.

Trent, behind a sturdy line, is (and I do mean this) Peytonesque in his confidence. Peyton had the tools and the line, but knew how to deliver to his receivers and spread the ball around. I will retract my statement due to the fact that Peyton has always had a sturdy line in front of him. If Trent can spread the ball around to Lee, Josh, T.O., Sco, and Nelson, then things will be bread and butter up in Buffalo, but without 3 seconds to find the open guy, he's got the tag on his right toe to Buffalo fans.
        Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• Marvelous
          • Feb 2004

Yourdad & Zoners, It's not a matter of luck or chance if Trent "MAKES" it. It's about skill/talent and it's 100% about coaching. But we all already knew this. I even think coaching err B-A-D coaching is what cost JP his career. Lets face it, we ALL knew/know JP is a very talented QB, but like SOOOO many other young QB's he never got into his comfort level and thus he never developed P--O--I--S--E.. No poise, no finesse! Did i spell "finesse" right? Finnesse? Finnese? moving on--

---Trent came out the gate his 1st few games as a rookie with a pocket poise that gave N/Y, the clean western part wood.. We after all we're soooo used to pocket ******s. like deer in headlights Drew, then JP. Don't take offense to my Blasphemy but Jimbo was a MESS in the pocket his last season.. I guarantee his sack per game average that season was thee highest of his whole career. Point is that from that season on we we're soo pissed,annoyed & we we're esp frustrated....SO ENTER Trent who comes out cool & calm in the pocket..
          YoDad, after last season did you notice maybe from a re-watch of games, or just a stellar memory at how much Trent struggled with finding our WR's who we're route running? I mean this as say Lee Evans running a smooth 20 yard up/fake in/run out etc..
          ---I think Trent Edwards struggles #1 with his check-offs.. This is why he throws to RB's soo much, and even threw many more to TE's then we we're used to. This is why Shouman shined.. And Josh Reed is now SUPER-IMPORTANT to this club because he runs short routes and Trent follows/watches his route instead of Evans who runs more deeper/complexed routes..
          ---This is why i wanted to see us T-R-A-D-E Lee EVans for Anquan Boldin or Lee EVans, Or Braylon Edwards.. Not because i don't love Lee Evans, or have loyalty to our guys, but it's 100% business.. It's a fact that we are sticking with Trent Edwards & that means it's a FACT that he favors posession short route runners over speed demons like Evans. Evans will still get his because he is not just a burner, but he is a superstar reciever with all the tools( see, i love Lee!). A TJ Houshmandzadah or the other players on the trade block woulda been a better fit because they fit better with what we have going with Trent Edwards style...
          ----AM i super football smart = not anymore then any other obsessed football/BILLS fan here @ the Zone..
          --Do i know thses to be true because i was bored or interested enough to re-watch the season thanks to HD-DVR - YES!

------Yodad, just saying that Trent needs coaching to be successful. He has the pocket poise that is rare & even more rare for us! His weaknesses are the bad things QB's have that A--R--E fixed by a good coach. NOt the crapy-ass coach Drew Bledsoe & JP had with Sam Wyche.
          -IMO JP wasn't really as coachable lastr year as he was his rook seaosn because he had already made his hyper play style his style...
          -Enter T.O----HOW HILLARIOUS would that be if The Ralph or Dick or Russ, or Modrak noticed that same exact thing about Trent and his weakness with struggling with WR's route running etc & instead of finding the diamond in the rough perfect coach fro Trent & hell our whole teams success, they borught in T.O... He's kinda the definition of players QB coach. HA!!! Either way, planned or not, we get a improvement from Trent since T.O. is gonna be freaking blunt & very outspoken about why his wide open Touchdown route was ignored when Trent had no pressure etc.... Good job 1BD! AND GOOD THREAD YOURDAD
          GO BILLS!!! NE
          Magical Trevor

Comment

• Night Train
            Retired - On Several Levels
            • Jul 2005

I still question his arm strength and his frequent checkoff tendencies. Plus I still see that Cards game where Wilson knocks him cold, even though he came almost straight at him.

Can he sense the rush and not lock on to his primary ? I'm rooting for the guy but the jury is still out. Don't just blindly offer him an extension. Let him play for his raise. He needs to improve.
            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Jan Reimers
              Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
              • May 2003

Originally posted by Night Train
              I still question his arm strength and his frequent checkoff tendencies. Plus I still see that Cards game where Wilson knocks him cold, even though he came almost straight at him.

Can he sense the rush and not lock on to his primary ? I'm rooting for the guy but the jury is still out. Don't just blindly offer him an extension. Let him play for his raise. He needs to improve.
              That's a good analysis, NT. Sometimes, Edwards reminds me of a smarter and more poised, but less athletic and weaker armed, version of JP. But still maybe not quite good enough to be the guy to take us into the future.
              Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• billogic99
                • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Marvelous
                Yourdad & Zoners, It's not a matter of luck or chance if Trent "MAKES" it. It's about skill/talent and it's 100% about coaching. But we all already knew this. I even think coaching err B-A-D coaching is what cost JP his career. Lets face it, we ALL knew/know JP is a very talented QB, but like SOOOO many other young QB's he never got into his comfort level and thus he never developed P--O--I--S--E.. No poise, no finesse! Did i spell "finesse" right? Finnesse? Finnese? moving on--
                While I agree good coaching is very important to the success level young QB's may/maynot have especially at this level. I disagree about JP. I think JP was just not menatally able to handle playing the position at this level. I'm not saying JP isn't smart, that I really don't know cause I've never spoken to the guy, but he doesn't have the mental ability to play the position you need as a starting NFL QB. You have to read and react with your talent, you have to know how to get the most out of the play and aviod making big mistakes. No amount of coaching in the world can make up for someones lack of ability in that aspect of the game.

JP had plenty of time to at least play well, no matter who was coaching him. He never could grasp the timing and speed. He held the ball too long almost as if he was waiting for the pressure instead of focusing his attention downfield. IMO if you have the tools to play the game they will show no matter who your coach is. Trent may not have a winning record as a starter yet, but you can clearly see a differnce in pocket presence when Trent is in the game instead of JP.

Comment

• yordad
                  • Dec 2007

Originally posted by billogic99
                  While I agree good coaching is very important to the success level young QB's may/maynot have especially at this level. I disagree about JP. I think JP was just not menatally able to handle playing the position at this level. I'm not saying JP isn't smart, that I really don't know cause I've never spoken to the guy, but he doesn't have the mental ability to play the position you need as a starting NFL QB. You have to read and react with your talent, you have to know how to get the most out of the play and aviod making big mistakes. No amount of coaching in the world can make up for someones lack of ability in that aspect of the game.

JP had plenty of time to at least play well, no matter who was coaching him. He never could grasp the timing and speed. He held the ball too long almost as if he was waiting for the pressure instead of focusing his attention downfield. IMO if you have the tools to play the game they will show no matter who your coach is. Trent may not have a winning record as a starter yet, but you can clearly see a differnce in pocket presence when Trent is in the game instead of JP.
                  Pocket presense? Yeah if JP only looked 10 yards down field and got rid of it for 4 yard attempt he would have looked comfortable too. However he was attempting to make a play.

Now back to Trent please.
                  "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• mayotm
                    • Jul 2003

Originally posted by yordad
                    Pocket presense? Yeah if JP only looked 10 yards down field and got rid of it for 4 yard attempt he would have looked comfortable too. However he was attempting to make a play.

Now back to Trent please.
                    You won't admit it, but part of your harsh criticism of Edwards it that you were a huge Losman supporter. You wanted the Bills (and fans) to give time for Losman to develop, but don't want to give Edwards the same chance. You're constantly taking subtle (or not so subtle) jabs at Edwards. That's fine, you don't have to like Edwards.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                      • Jul 2002

Trent Edwards is the key to the Bills this year.

If he doesn't take a big step forward and stay injury free the Bills have no chance.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

Everyone shares the same pressures especially the coaching staff.

Should Trent fail that means the coaches failed.

Everyones job is on the line. IF this team doesn't win a new saff will be brought in and even guys like Evans may not be wanted by the new staff.
                        sacrifice1
                        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• mybills
                          81 st zoner
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by yordad
                          5). The backup kinda sucks
                          kinda?
                          see my sig
                          I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• yordad
                            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by mayotm
                            You won't admit it, but part of your harsh criticism of Edwards it that you were a huge Losman supporter. You wanted the Bills (and fans) to give time for Losman to develop, but don't want to give Edwards the same chance. You're constantly taking subtle (or not so subtle) jabs at Edwards. That's fine, you don't have to like Edwards.
                            Harsh criticisms for Trent because of JP? News flash, JP is gone.

I am critical of Trent because he is our QB and his production has been lacking. And I'm not convinced he has elite skills. It is as objective as I can be AS A BILLS FAN. Go to any other of the 31 teams websites out there and you likely hear even more "harsh criticism" then I dished.

Plain and simple, the guy likes to throw short and has rarely made "a play". Go ahead and count them, there has been like 4. He is no longer young. It is time he made more "plays" then mistakes.

If you want to annoint him savior before he does anything go ahead. I want to him put it together, like now.
                            Last edited by yordad; 06-01-2009, 11:09 AM.

Comment

• mchurchfie
                              • Jul 2002

If he doesn't start throwing the long ball consistently this year with TO in the lineup instead of checking down all of the time then he never will.
                              My Band
                              daveviterna.com

Comment

Working...
                              X