this might suck for the Bills, but if the league expands to 18 games...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lordofgun
    in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

this might suck for the Bills, but if the league expands to 18 games...

...I'd like to see each team play their division rivals three times instead of the current two.

This would mean that divisional games would account for 50 pct of the schedule, and these would be no splitting of season series.

What do you guys think?

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

• MikeInRoch
    • Sep 2003

Re: this might suck for the Bills, but if the league expands to 18 games...

How do you decide which team gets the home game two out of three times? Rotate it?
    "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• trapezeus
      Legendary Zoner
      • Oct 2004

but the math doesn't work, does it? if we only add two more games a season and we have to play our divisional foes 3 times a season, that will mess up the playing an entire AFC division and an entire NFC division.

i'm not sure 18 games is such a good idea. just imagine the bills having a great season, trying to get homefield advantage. someone gets hurt in week 17 which impacts the playoffs whereas in a 16 game season, he would have been fine.

all i'm saying is the second the rules and regulations change in the NFL, the bills typically are on the wrong end and would have been in a better position if nothing changed.

Comment

• User Manuel
        The Artist formerly Known as Lawesome97
        • Nov 2003

1) Makes a lot of sense

2) Means the Steelers would probably never miss the playoffs ever again.

3) We would probably never make the playoffs again.

Comment

• MikeInRoch
          • Sep 2003

What I'd expect is that you still play your entire division twice. You play everyone in TWO divisions in your conference once. You don't play anyone in the last division in your conference at all. You play everyone in one division in the other conference.
          "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• lordofgun
            in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
            • Jul 2002

Hwo would it mess up the playing a whole AFC and NFC division? That's 9 divisional, plus 8 = 17 games, with one left for a floater.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• trapezeus
              Legendary Zoner
              • Oct 2004

Originally posted by lordofgun
              Hwo would it mess up the playing a whole AFC and NFC division? That's 9 divisional, plus 8 = 17 games, with one left for a floater.
              i was just thinking of how it is now, with the 6 divisional games, 4 AFC, 4NFC and 2 floaters. i figured if you kept the 4, 4, 2 arrangement, that is only more games and you'd be short one AFCE opponent.

but i get that you want to cut the floaters to a bare minimum and just make it one.

i think that works. but then it makes divisional games even more important. and i wonder about that. it would be more fun to have a couple random games against teams we don't typically see.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                Pinkerton's son
                • Feb 2006

I'd rather see more teams. I do like playing the Phins and whatnot cuz they're our most bitter rivals, but I think it'd be cool to play a larger variety of teams.

Comment

• Prov401
                  President of WADL (Whitner Anti-Defamation League)
                  • Aug 2008

No to the Division rivals 3 times a year. Like someone else posted, how would we decide who hosts the 3rd game? Personally, I hate the talk of an 18 game season, because football is a violent game, and injuries will occur in weeks 17 and 18. The biggest reason why I am such opposed to an 18 game schedule is it will mess with all the single season records in the NFL. I don't like it one bit. If any schedule should be messed with, it should be the pre and post season scehdule. I think the pre-season should be slashed in half, and we need to do something about what happened last year. The Pats, as much as I hate them, were a playoff team last year. The Chargers didn't deserve to be playing in January.
                  Last edited by Prov401; 06-01-2009, 12:28 PM.

Comment

• lordofgun
                    in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
                    • Jul 2002

I also think it would help owners sell more tickets.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                      Peterman Sucks!
                      • Mar 2006

Again, how do designate which team gets the two home games?

I'd say expand to 17 games and every team plays 1 game on neutral field...the NFL wants to expand it's scope and popularity to cities that don't have teams and other countries right?

Have someone play in London, China, Canada, Los Angeles, make the HOF game the opening game of the NFL season instead of a preseason game.

That way no one loses a home game and more cities/countries are exposed to NFL football live and in person.

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by MikeInRoch
                        How do you decide which team gets the home game two out of three times? Rotate it?
                        They'll find a formula based on either chance or previous season's performance, yet somehow the Bills will still end up playing 2 games in NE 4 out of every 5 years.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Mahdi
                          • Mar 2004

I think there should be 8 playoff teams per conference instead of six. More playoff games would be a better idea than more regular season games.

Record books stay in tact

Less chance of pre-playoff injuries

More exciting playoff football

Good teams that get excluded in the current system have a better shot.

Comment

• SabreEleven
                            • Aug 2002

18 Games in a season...terrific...more games to be moved to Toronto

Comment

• SabreEleven
                              • Aug 2002

Originally posted by trapezeus
                              i'm not sure 18 games is such a good idea. just imagine the bills having a great season, trying to get homefield advantage. someone gets hurt in week 17 which impacts the playoffs whereas in a 16 game season, he would have been fine.
                              Could this apply to a 16 game season as well? except they would get hurt in the 15th game.

Comment

Working...
                              X