PDA

View Full Version : Edwards gets a passing grade from Jaws

madness
06-02-2009, 10:25 AM
<!-- --> Former NFL star quarterback Ron Jaworski thinks Trent Edwards has what it takes to be the kind of winning quarterback the Buffalo Bills seek.
Jaworski, ESPN's Monday Night Football analyst, doesn't give Edwards an unconditional endorsement. But he's in the corner of the Bills' third-year signal caller and thinks the Bills are doing the right thing in putting the offense in Edwards' hands.

"I think he's going to be a tremendous NFL quarterback," Jaworski said Monday at the Jim Kelly Celebrity Classic golf tournament in Batavia. "I think he's got the skill set that projects very well for this league. It's a matter of being consistent. He's had some outstanding games, he's had some poor games. That happens with young quarterbacks. Everyone expects to see Joe Montana on the field in the second or third year, that's not going to happen."

"I think the experience that Trent has now gained is going to pay big dividends," Jaworski said.

Jaworski, the Lackawanna native who ranks 41st all-time in NFL passing yards, says Edwards has shown enough talent to be a quality starter.

"I think first of all he sees the field with great clarity," Jaworski said. "He understands reading coverages. He knows where to go with the football. He understands where his people are supposed to be. If receivers are where they're supposed to be, it makes a quarterback's job easier. The defense will dictate where you're going to throw the football."

"But most importantly is the accuracy," Jaworski said. "He's an accurate quarterback. I wouldn't say he has a big-time gun. But the anticipation is there, the accuracy is there and the understanding pocket movement is there. Mobility is not Michael Vick running around gaining first downs. Mobility is sliding, moving in the pocket, a la Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Dan Marino, those guys come to mind. Those are mobile quarterbacks in my opinion."

Edwards is 12-11 as a Bills starter. Last season he completed 65.5 percent of his passes with a passer rating of 85.4. Those totals ranked sixth and 17th, respectively, in the NFL.

"Consistency and confidence are key," Jaworski said. "I thought there were some situations last year, particularly our Monday night game here, I thought it was a game where he wasn't seeing the field clearly and he wasn't playing with confidence. But that's a learning curve you have to go through. ... You hate to say it, but you gain from those negative experiences. He came back and made plays in that game."

Overall, Jaworski says the development of the offensive line will be the big key to the Bills' season.

"I think it comes down to the offensive line," he said. "Until those five guys — and throw the tight end in as the sixth guy — until they play as one, they're going to be inconsistent, like they've been through the last three or four years. I think that's a question mark going into the season. If this offensive line can play well, the Bills can make a run for the AFC East."

Merril Hoge, Jaworski's partner on ESPN's "NFL Match-Up" show, also was at the Kelly event. He had a similar view of Edwards.

"I like him," Hoge said. "I think he's a very good quarterback. I think he plays better when they play out of the three-wide receiver set. I thought he made some big throws late in games that showed he can do it. Then he lost his confidence. You could tell on the Monday night game [against Cleveland], he couldn't throw a screen."

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/689691.html

Pinkerton Security
06-02-2009, 11:00 AM
I think they are pretty much right. My biggest worry this year is our O-line, because if they suck then I think he's going to have a bad year that will destroy his confidence.

ddaryl
06-02-2009, 11:13 AM
it was a good article. Jaws knows analysis better then most Sports commentators

madness
06-02-2009, 11:14 AM
I think they are pretty much right. My biggest worry this year is our O-line, because if they suck then I think he's going to have a bad year that will destroy his confidence.
I tend to agree with something that was written a few weeks ago about it's going to be hard for this year's OL to be as bad as last year's bunch. They removed the three weak links from last year, keeping their two most consistent linemen. Now it's just a matter of hoping the new pieces can outperform the old ones.

They have to be that much better a whole lot quicker for the Bills to make a successful run this year.

justasportsfan
06-02-2009, 12:00 PM
are you serious?

ddaryl
06-02-2009, 12:19 PM
are you serious?

I'll take Jaws over the majority of NFL analysts out there

Was it not negative enough for you ?

justasportsfan
06-02-2009, 01:10 PM
I'll take Jaws over the majority of NFL analysts out there

Was it not negative enough for you ?

that wasn't why I asked. Jaws had a very high reagrd for the other qb.

"I was very impressed [by Losman] with how he handled the intelligence side of the game," said Jaworski, who had heard the criticism that Losman didn't have the football smarts for the position. "He answered everything pretty much right. I'm very confident he'll have a good year. I think he'll be the [Bills] quarterback."

Jaworski also was impressed that Losman took responsibility for his play last season and didn't blame anyone else.

"Not one time did he say negative things about [former coach] Mike Mularkey," Jaworski said. "He's a very classy, articulate guy."

But what about last season, when Losman was in and out of the lineup and eventually lost his job to Kelly Holcomb?

"There were growing pains," Jaworski said. "Every quarterback goes through them. When he made mistakes, he assumed personal responsibility. That's a real plus."

But what about the criticism that Losman may be too short to be an NFL quarterback?

"I played with Pat Haden," Jaworski said. "I say that with love."

:idunno:

mayotm
06-02-2009, 01:38 PM
that wasn't why I asked. Jaws had a very high reagrd for the other qb.

:idunno:So because he was wrong about Losman it means he's not a good analyst?

yordad
06-02-2009, 01:38 PM
Justa, I still think he was right about Losman, lol.

SABURZFAN
06-02-2009, 02:15 PM

i agree. though he may not be right about everything, i hope he's right about Edwards.

Mad Max
06-02-2009, 09:58 PM
So because he was wrong about Losman it means he's not a good analyst?

I like Jaws, but he is the consummate QB cheerleader. He showered high praise upon one Rob Johnson as well as many other ultimately mediocre QBs.

Let's hope he's right this time.

sdbillsfan2
06-02-2009, 09:58 PM
Did anyone really expect them to bad mouth Trent in his own back yard? Could this be a case of political correctness ? Just askin!

justasportsfan
06-02-2009, 10:14 PM
So because he was wrong about Losman it means he's not a good analyst?
I didn't say that.

jamze132
06-02-2009, 11:50 PM
Jaws said pretty much the same stuff about JP a while ago. But I wouldn't expect much bad from him considering he is a Bills fan.

SABURZFAN
06-03-2009, 08:36 AM
I didn't say that.

so enlighten us with what you're getting at then.

mybills
06-03-2009, 09:18 AM
Did anyone really expect them to bad mouth Trent in his own back yard? Could this be a case of political correctness ? Just askin!
Exactly.

justasportsfan
06-03-2009, 09:22 AM
so enlighten us with what you're getting at then.

He's no different from every other expert.

billogic99
06-03-2009, 10:12 AM
Has anyone ever heard Jaws say something negative about a QB? I can't remember one. Not trying to knock the evaluation, just pointing out Jaws pretty much likes all starting QB's. No real suprise Jaws endorses Trent.