PDA

View Full Version : Bills have another WR you should know about

The Spaz
06-03-2009, 04:12 PM
Toward the end of training camp last year, a member of the Buffalo Bills told me what a steal Steve Johnson would turn out to be.

"Steve Johnson is going to be a player," the source said, emphasizing the final word.

Not much could be expected when Buffalo drafted the 6-foot-3, 198-pound Johnson in the seventh round out of Kentucky last year. Only three other receivers were drafted after him.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-8-138/Bills-have-another-WR-you-should-know-about.html

TigerJ
06-03-2009, 04:29 PM
I'm high on Johnson, but he's still no better than the fourth receiver on this team. Obviously Evans and Owens are #1 and 2. Reed is #3. So Johnson is competing with Parrish to be #4. Hardy is probably out of the mix at the start of the season. If Hardy is on the roster, and not on IR, I think the Bills are still going to start him out slowly. Hardy might not have any receptions through the first quarter of the season. I think Schonert will try to figure out how to get Johnson on the field, but he's just not going to get a ton of catches this year. If he averages two receptions a game, that would be a good season for him. It will be very interesting to see what happens in 2010. Will the Bills try and re-sign Owens? The answer to that might depend on what they see in Johnson and Hardy this season.

ServoBillieves
06-03-2009, 06:43 PM
Toward the end of training camp last year, a member of the Buffalo Bills told me what a steal Steve Johnson would turn out to be.

"Steve Johnson is going to be a player," the source said, emphasizing the final word.

Not much could be expected when Buffalo drafted the 6-foot-3, 198-pound Johnson in the seventh round out of Kentucky last year. Only three other receivers were drafted after him.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-8-138/Bills-have-another-WR-you-should-know-about.html

Easily my favorite receiver on the team. He's the next Housh after T.O. is gone.

Lexwhat
06-03-2009, 06:49 PM
Nice article. I don't think Steve Johnson is going to contribute too much this year (unless Josh Reed gets injured), but I have very high hopes for his 3rd season.

He has excellent size and could really develop into a great possession receiver.

OpIv37
06-03-2009, 07:54 PM
Johnson will overtake Parrish, no doubt in my mind.

Owens is a 1- year rent-a-player.

I believe Reed is in the last year of his contract.

Johnson will get his chances this year and he'll be a regular in the offense next year. He's going to turn out to be a steal.

homeslice5484
06-03-2009, 08:35 PM
been saying this since he was drafted...thats my boy!

Jeff1220
06-03-2009, 08:42 PM
While I agree that Johnson is going to be good, I'm starting to wonder if Tim Graham is trying to steal Chris Brown's job.

Tatonka
06-05-2009, 12:20 AM

Johnson will get his chances this year and he'll be a regular in the offense next year. He's going to turn out to be a steal.

you better be careful. your starting to sound somewhat optimistic. very disappointing.

Dujek
06-05-2009, 02:58 AM
Johnson was a steal in last year's draft, he showed some flashes of his ability towards the end of last season, and could well turn into a long term #2 receiver here. Of course at the minute it's all speculation, but I can honestly see him being a big influence on what this team does from 2010 and beyond.

yordad
06-05-2009, 07:45 AM
We have the deepest most talented WRs in the league when you factor in the "projected long run" stat I just made up!

jamze132
06-05-2009, 08:03 AM
I was pushing for Johnson when we drafted him too. It must be the hair.

methos4ever
06-05-2009, 08:51 AM
I loved watching him (in hindsight) as the dude who ruined LSU's, Louisville's and FL. State's days respectively. And to me, correct me if I'm wrong but he plays WR like Marshawn at RB: running through contact and trying to get every yard possible.

justasportsfan
06-05-2009, 09:01 AM
Hardy better get his arse in gear or Steve's gonna leave him behind and become no. 2.

Yasgur's Farm
06-05-2009, 09:12 AM
I don't understand all this badmouthing Hardy... He had 2 TD's as well. That's 4 TD's total from our rookies last season. Nice output if you ask me... The future looks bright.

Until then... 50+ receptions will be hard to beat. Reed is #3 at the moment and will remain there until someone can knock him off! It's not even close at this point.

Saratoga Slim
06-05-2009, 11:02 AM
I think the #3 receiver slot is up for grabs.

Reed's a good slot receiver. But if Johnson truly has the talent to be a "player" for this team, he should be able to at minimum give Reed a very serious run for his money at #3. That's going to be interesting.

I don't think that Hardy figures in the slot competition. I think he's going to be mostly backup to T.O.

ServoBillieves
06-05-2009, 12:23 PM
I see the 2010 receiving roster being Lee Evans, Steve Johnson, James Hardy, Roscoe Parrish, and a rookie. I think we let Reed walk, I don't want to see that happen, but with Hardy in a big contract and Johnson priming to be a starlet, I see no space for him unless we can drop Sco to a 5th receiver.

IUbills
06-05-2009, 03:35 PM
why is everyone on SJ jock. Is it the Dreds. I mean come on people.

X-Era
06-05-2009, 04:10 PM
why is everyone on SJ jock. Is it the Dreds. I mean come on people.

Because the guy can frikkin play, thats why.

He looked better than Hardy last year IMO.

BertSquirtgum
06-05-2009, 09:15 PM
johnson has many more positives that parish as a receiver.

Goobylal
06-05-2009, 09:22 PM
I think the #3 receiver slot is up for grabs.

Reed's a good slot receiver. But if Johnson truly has the talent to be a "player" for this team, he should be able to at minimum give Reed a very serious run for his money at #3. That's going to be interesting.

I don't think that Hardy figures in the slot competition. I think he's going to be mostly backup to T.O.
Johnson is more of a #2 WR than a slot receiver. I can see him playing in 4 and 5 WR sets. Reed is an excellent slot receiver and will undoubtedly start there most, if not all, of the season. Hardy is behind the 8-ball with the injury.

don137
06-06-2009, 06:56 AM
Receivers for the most part take a year or two to become adjusted to the NFL. I really think Johnson will become a solid #2 or #3 receiver. I think TO is a perfect player to have this year to let Hardy and Johnson develop and in 2010 Hardy and Johnson will be big contributors to the Bills offense.

justasportsfan
06-06-2009, 07:13 AM
I don't understand all this badmouthing Hardy... He had 2 TD's as well. That's 4 TD's total from our rookies last season. Nice output if you ask me... The future looks bright.

Until then... 50+ receptions will be hard to beat. Reed is #3 at the moment and will remain there until someone can knock him off! It's not even close at this point.
who's badmouthing Hardy?

mikemac2001
06-06-2009, 02:49 PM
Because the guy can frikkin play, thats why.

He looked better than Hardy last year IMO.

Hes a player

:limpclap:

HHURRICANE
06-07-2009, 07:17 PM

I love Steve Johnson. I think he is a solid #4 and maybe better down the road. Parrish will be gone after this season.

ublinkwescore
06-07-2009, 07:55 PM

Oh my god, was that some optimism?

What did I miss, what kind of happy pills did Op get prescribed?

elltrain22
06-08-2009, 06:14 AM
Don't get me wrong, I love Steve Johnson, and honestly do think he's a got a shot to be a good player, but Hardy has a legitimate shot to be great. It's a very hard conversion for a WR to make coming into the NFL, and I think once he gets used to the physicality, and runs better routes, he's going to be a really great WR for this team.

Luisito23
06-08-2009, 06:40 AM
I have high hope for Hardy as well, I just really hope that injury he suffered doesn't end up having serious repercussions.

Jan Reimers
06-08-2009, 06:45 AM
I wasn't so surprised that Hardy was not at all a polished receiver, as his total inability to use his size effectively. It seems that would come naturally.