X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lmcshadow
    • Nov 2007

UFL "what the?"

Just looking through Pro Football talk an ran passed an article about the new footbal league UFL....it season starts in October and has only four teams...Dennis Green.Jim Hasslett..Jim Fassel..and Ted Cottrell to be named the coaches of the teams
    The enemy deserves no mercy....mercy is for the weak.
  • Goobylal
    • Jan 2004

Re: UFL "what the?"

Four teams. Why bother?

Comment

• DBrown77
      Watching the Bills suck since 1999
      • Mar 2005

I heard this a long time ago, its pretty old news. Has anyone else heard about it?

Comment

• Luisito23
        Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
        • Apr 2003

I guess those idiots didn't learn their mistake with that idiotic XFL.
        "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
        ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
        ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
        ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• LtFinFan66
          • Mar 2005

Football is football. Even the XFL. It is a mistake not having this league in the spring though

Comment

• Stewie
            Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
            • Aug 2002

I went to an xfl game. it was like watching 7th graders play football.

However, I think the UFL might succeed.
            Originally posted by Topdog
            Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
            Originally posted by mercyrule
            I love Weiner.
            Originally posted by mercyrule
            also cheese

Comment

• LtFinFan66
              • Mar 2005

not playing in October they won't

Comment

• Jeff1220
                H to the 12:20
                • Jul 2002

I think they could succeed. It's not like people have to choose to stop watching the NFL in order to start watching the UFL. We know probably better than most how football hungry fans are. Their belief is that football is a fall sport and should be played as such.
                The 4 teams(in 6 cities, I think) is a start, with an expansion plan in place for each of the next few seasons (if they do make it they far). This minimizes expenses and potential losses while maintaining an ability to grow.
                As a last point, the NFL is in a place right now where they have all but priced the average, die-hard fans out of the game. To boot, they are also in the middle of another forced labor negotiation, which isn't a slam dunk to get settled any time soon.
                As with most seemingly unmovable empires, pride comes before the fall, and that could be the case w/ our beloved pro league.
                Not saying it will happen, but I don't think it's out of the question by any means.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                  Peterman Sucks!
                  • Mar 2006

Will last one season and fade away into oblivion.

Other leagues weren't able to succeed not competing against the NFL.

Brilliant idea to play at the same time....brilliant.

Comment

• lmcshadow
                    • Nov 2007

this time the league is backed in certain ways by NFL. And some political powers...check it out.....
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...eague_(planned)

Comment

• DrGraves
                      • Mar 2008

I would rather have any of those coaches than Dick. WTF. Why do we have the worst HC in football. How does UFL teams have better coaches than us?

Comment

• lmcshadow
                        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by DrGraves
                        I would rather have any of those coaches than Dick. WTF. Why do we have the worst HC in football. How does UFL teams have better coaches than us?
                        One word for ya Doc....R>>>>A>>>>L>>>F

Comment

• jamze132
                          Don’t hate…
                          • Jun 2003

So Buffalo and Jacksonville will be new expansion clubs for the UFL in a few years...

As the UFL builds popularity and challenges the NFL by taking away money and ratings, the NFL, ran by Jerry Jones and Tom Brady will offer to join the two leagues bringing Buffalo back to the NFL. However the Bills will never be even remotely successful because Dick Jauron will be brought back from cryogenic hibernation to lead the team to the promised land with a cover 2 defense.
                          Last edited by jamze132; 06-03-2009, 11:49 PM.

Comment

• Night Train
                            Retired - On Several Levels
                            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by jamze132
                            So Buffalo and Jacksonville will be new expansion clubs for the UFL in a few years...
                            I've posted the same several times. They already have a cable contract with Versus and can easily attract more well known stations if the ratings show basically anything. This is a football crazy country.

I've concluded the NFL elite will always be greedy and the small market teams will eventually be driven out. Several large empty stadiums give any upstart league a legit head start.

The XFL was a gimmick, much like Arena and even NFL Europe. The UFL has a legit shot at sticking if the NFL eventually becomes a league of large market teams only, which I believe it will within 2-5 years. They'll have plenty of former NFL markets to add, like Buffalo. I actaully heard the UFL Commish speak and the business plan is quite sound & practical.

The Bills were never in the AAFC or AFL, just the NFL. Got it.
                            Last edited by Night Train; 06-04-2009, 04:15 AM.
                            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Dozerdog
                              In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
                              Will last one season and fade away into oblivion.

Other leagues weren't able to succeed not competing against the NFL.

Brilliant idea to play at the same time....brilliant.

The USFL knew they were going bankrupt when they chose to move to a head-to-head fall schedule. The only reason for the switch was to try and strengthen their hand for an anti-trust trial with the NFL. The true motivation was to hopefully force a merger of a couple of teams spearheaded by Donald Trump.

Pick the right cities and the right time of year, and you can make a second tier pro football league work

Comment

Working...
                              X