PDA

View Full Version : UFL "what the?"

lmcshadow
06-03-2009, 07:38 PM
Just looking through Pro Football talk an ran passed an article about the new footbal league UFL....it season starts in October and has only four teams...Dennis Green.Jim Hasslett..Jim Fassel..and Ted Cottrell to be named the coaches of the teams

Goobylal
06-03-2009, 07:50 PM
Four teams. Why bother?

DBrown77
06-03-2009, 07:57 PM
I heard this a long time ago, its pretty old news. Has anyone else heard about it?

Luisito23
06-03-2009, 08:03 PM
I guess those idiots didn't learn their mistake with that idiotic XFL.

LtFinFan66
06-03-2009, 08:22 PM
Football is football. Even the XFL. It is a mistake not having this league in the spring though

Stewie
06-03-2009, 08:27 PM
I went to an xfl game. it was like watching 7th graders play football.

However, I think the UFL might succeed.

LtFinFan66
06-03-2009, 08:28 PM
not playing in October they won't

Jeff1220
06-03-2009, 08:39 PM
I think they could succeed. It's not like people have to choose to stop watching the NFL in order to start watching the UFL. We know probably better than most how football hungry fans are. Their belief is that football is a fall sport and should be played as such.
The 4 teams(in 6 cities, I think) is a start, with an expansion plan in place for each of the next few seasons (if they do make it they far). This minimizes expenses and potential losses while maintaining an ability to grow.
As a last point, the NFL is in a place right now where they have all but priced the average, die-hard fans out of the game. To boot, they are also in the middle of another forced labor negotiation, which isn't a slam dunk to get settled any time soon.
As with most seemingly unmovable empires, pride comes before the fall, and that could be the case w/ our beloved pro league.
Not saying it will happen, but I don't think it's out of the question by any means.

Mr. Pink
06-03-2009, 09:05 PM
Will last one season and fade away into oblivion.

Other leagues weren't able to succeed not competing against the NFL.

Brilliant idea to play at the same time....brilliant.

lmcshadow
06-03-2009, 09:07 PM
this time the league is backed in certain ways by NFL. And some political powers...check it out.....:nuk:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Football_League_(planned)

DrGraves
06-03-2009, 11:04 PM
I would rather have any of those coaches than Dick. WTF. Why do we have the worst HC in football. How does UFL teams have better coaches than us?

lmcshadow
06-03-2009, 11:35 PM
I would rather have any of those coaches than Dick. WTF. Why do we have the worst HC in football. How does UFL teams have better coaches than us?
One word for ya Doc....R>>>>A>>>>L>>>F

jamze132
06-03-2009, 11:46 PM
So Buffalo and Jacksonville will be new expansion clubs for the UFL in a few years...

As the UFL builds popularity and challenges the NFL by taking away money and ratings, the NFL, ran by Jerry Jones and Tom Brady will offer to join the two leagues bringing Buffalo back to the NFL. However the Bills will never be even remotely successful because Dick Jauron will be brought back from cryogenic hibernation to lead the team to the promised land with a cover 2 defense.

Night Train
06-04-2009, 04:14 AM
So Buffalo and Jacksonville will be new expansion clubs for the UFL in a few years...

I've posted the same several times. They already have a cable contract with Versus and can easily attract more well known stations if the ratings show basically anything. This is a football crazy country.

I've concluded the NFL elite will always be greedy and the small market teams will eventually be driven out. Several large empty stadiums give any upstart league a legit head start.

The XFL was a gimmick, much like Arena and even NFL Europe. The UFL has a legit shot at sticking if the NFL eventually becomes a league of large market teams only, which I believe it will within 2-5 years. They'll have plenty of former NFL markets to add, like Buffalo. I actaully heard the UFL Commish speak and the business plan is quite sound & practical.

The Bills were never in the AAFC or AFL, just the NFL. Got it. :rolleyes:

Dozerdog
06-04-2009, 05:20 AM

The USFL knew they were going bankrupt when they chose to move to a head-to-head fall schedule. The only reason for the switch was to try and strengthen their hand for an anti-trust trial with the NFL. The true motivation was to hopefully force a merger of a couple of teams spearheaded by Donald Trump.

Pick the right cities and the right time of year, and you can make a second tier pro football league work

Mr. Miyagi
06-04-2009, 06:28 AM

It's not meant to compete against the NFL. It's meant to eventually be a farm league for the NFL.

And October would be fine as long as it's not one of the NFL days of the week. If they play games on Tuesday and Wednesday nights I know I'd watch.

Plus if they played in the summer, players would be dying of heat exhaustion left and right.

Horns
06-04-2009, 10:06 AM
Well, any other football league in North America is considered a farm league by the NFL. The CFL is seen as the same thing in many ways by the NFL - it knows it can sign these players for more money and exposure than the CFL can.

The NFL is the 600lb gorilla in the room, and likes it that way.

OpIv37
06-04-2009, 12:50 PM

the key will be the NFL's labor negotiations. They have to hold on for two years. If the NFL's labor negotiations do not go well, it could really take off in the absence of NFL football.

If the NFL doesn't lose a season due to a strike/lockout, they won't last more than two seasons (if they're lucky).

lordofgun
06-04-2009, 01:22 PM
I'm glad there are only four teams. This means there may actually be a handful of players on each team that are familiar.

Mudflap1
06-04-2009, 01:37 PM
The other thing the UFL is doing is targeting players that ordinarily would be 3rd round draft picks or later. The reason for this is they know that the highest picks would never go to this league, they would go to the NFL because of the money. Secondly, by targeting mid to late round talent, you are still getting NFL-caliber players that otherwise may be not getting playing time on NFL teams and can hone their skills, and the UFL can afford to pay them competitively. It is supposed to be like a farm system, but with guys that really are NFL-caliber on the teams. And it is supposed to be affordable for the fans.

I agree with Miyagi, if it's not Thursday, Saturday, Sunday, or Monday, I'll watch.

lmcshadow
06-04-2009, 08:51 PM
if i remember right it was thursday and friday

TheMan08
06-04-2009, 08:58 PM
Will "he hate me" be available?

ticatfan
06-10-2009, 11:18 AM
Will "he hate me" be available?He probably will , he did not make the cut up here in the CFL, to fast for him. But this league will not last long.

LtFinFan66
06-10-2009, 11:22 AM
Will "he hate me" be available?He played for the Eagles in 2001, the Panthers 2002-2005 and the Raiders in 2006. He's only 32, bet he gives this new league a shot

streetkings01
06-10-2009, 11:35 AM
I thought the UFL would be a farm league for the NFL?

DrGraves
06-10-2009, 05:32 PM
why are all the UFL coaches better than ours?

Night Train
06-28-2009, 06:40 PM
if i remember right it was thursday and friday

That's correct. Thursday & Friday nights on Versus. I found this about the UFL on the Bleacher report.

Investors including former investment banker Bill Hambrecht, Google Inc. executive Tim Armstrong, and Paul Pelosi, the husband of Nancy Pelosi, speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives, have put up a combined $30 million into the league.

The UFL’s aggressive business plan calls for the league to turn a profit after three years and even though I believe it is much too premature, there has even been talk of the league expanding by at least two to four teams in 2010 with possibly Dallas Mavericks’ (NBA) owner Mark Cuban joining as an expansion owner.

30 Mil & a TV contract is a damn good start.

life of faith
06-28-2009, 06:42 PM
why are all the UFL coaches better than ours?

Thats a good question LOL!

SABURZFAN
06-28-2009, 06:42 PM
That's correct. Thursday & Friday nights on Versus. I found this about the UFL on the Bleacher report.

Investors including former investment banker Bill Hambrecht, Google Inc. executive Tim Armstrong, and Paul Pelosi, the husband of Nancy Pelosi, speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives, have put up a combined $30 million into the league.

The UFL’s aggressive business plan calls for the league to turn a profit after three years and even though I believe it is much too premature, there has even been talk of the league expanding by at least two to four teams in 2010 with possibly Dallas Mavericks’ (NBA) owner Mark Cuban joining as an expansion owner.

30 Mil & a TV contract is a damn good start.

not bad at all.

LtFinFan66
06-28-2009, 06:43 PM
I'll watch JP light up the league

SABURZFAN
06-28-2009, 06:45 PM

did somebody sign him......FINALLY????????

LtFinFan66
06-28-2009, 06:47 PM
not officially

SABURZFAN
06-28-2009, 06:53 PM
not officially

so he's screwing in light bulbs at Del Taco. got it, :up:

LtFinFan66
06-28-2009, 06:53 PM
perhaps

ServoBillieves
06-28-2009, 07:08 PM
If they get sweet names like the XFL, like Hehateme, then hell yeah I'll watch.

When JP joins he can do a Daryl Lamonica and become the Sad Bomber!

SABURZFAN
06-28-2009, 07:12 PM
If they get sweet names like the XFL, like Hehateme, then hell yeah I'll watch.

When JP joins he can do a Daryl Lamonica and become the Sad Bomber!

put SadlyBombedAgain on his jersey.

lmcshadow
06-29-2009, 07:59 PM
they quality of the game shouild be nice..look at it as a go between college ball and NFL......... I think it will do well.......only one thing.........it should start After pro bowl:rockout:

Night Train
06-30-2009, 05:01 AM
they quality of the game shouild be nice..look at it as a go between college ball and NFL......... I think it will do well.......only one thing.........it should start After pro bowl:rockout:

I understand the thinking but Fall is football.

Most all sports fans switch to thoughts of baseball spring training, late season hockey & basketball (March Madness in college), once the NFL is done. The UFL wouldn't stand a chance then.

Spring football has never been a good idea.

Typ0
06-30-2009, 12:03 PM
it looks like JP is going to be the top tier signature talent in this league...god help them.

JD
06-30-2009, 12:09 PM
My thoughts exactly haha.. just wait, he'll be the poster boy of the league throwing bombs. They'll try to ignore his fumble/sack stats :cas: