PDA

View Full Version : Pisa was told the job was his

T-Long
06-05-2009, 02:52 PM
According to PFT

Tinoisamoa: “I Know I Have To Earn My Job”
Posted by Aaron Wilson on June 5, 2009, 2:37 p.m.

Chicago Bears newly-minted linebacker Pisa Tinoisamoa is due to be paid $1 million this season under his one-year contract, according to Vaughn McClure of the Chicago Tribune.

Tinoisamoa, who was scheduled to make $3.25 million with the St. Louis Rams in 2009 before he was cut from the roster during the offseason, is slated to compete with Nick Roach and Hunter Hillenmeyer for the starting job.

For now, Roach is atop the depth chart.

Tinoisamoa is glad for a change of scenery after winning just five games in the past two seasons. And he doesn’t seem to mind that he has to earn a starting position.

“Just the chance to be on a winning team is worth it to me,” Tinoisamoa said this week, according to Brad Biggs of the Chicago Sun-Times. “I’ve been fortunate to get paid in this league, and that was good, but I still had to go home a loser. I’d give all the money back if I could win again. …

“There was opportunity to go to other teams, but it was like, ‘We’re going to give you the job.’ And for me, that was awkward because I know there were guys who had been working since the end of last season, coming into this year and all the time they put in, and they felt like they were the starter. The fact that I have to come and earn a job, it definitely makes me more hungry because now I know I have to earn my job.”

Of course, it will be a surprise if Tinoisamoa doesn’t ultimately wind up in the starting lineup.

He led the Rams in tackles during four of his six NFL seasons, and he has a background with Bears coach Lovie Smith as well as defensive coordinator Bob Babich from their St. Louis days.

Dying_-2-_Live
06-05-2009, 02:54 PM
Lame excuse
He should have just said he felt more comfortable with Chicago's defense

Jan Reimers
06-05-2009, 03:00 PM
As Bruce once said, "Water under the dam." Or was it "Water over the bridge?"

OpIv37
06-05-2009, 03:00 PM
I'm ****ing over it.

Is Pisa better than Ellison? Hell yes.
Is he the next Ray Lewis? Hell no.

He would have helped our D but he wouldn't have made it dominant on his own. He's just not a big play guy. So, I would have liked to see him here, but at the end of the day, he won't be the difference between a good D and a bad D. We need Schobel, Maybin, Stroud, McKelvin, Poz and Whitner to step up big time, and that would still be true if Pisa was here.

So **** it- let him play for the Bears. And honestly, can you blame him? Would you rather play next to Poz and Mitchell or Urlacher and Briggs?

mybills
06-05-2009, 03:04 PM
As Bruce once said, "Water under the dam." Or was it "Water over the bridge?"
My Dad used to say, "Like water off a duck's back." :D

Jan Reimers
06-05-2009, 03:05 PM
I'm ****ing over it.

Is Pisa better than Ellison? Hell yes.
Is he the next Ray Lewis? Hell no.

He would have helped our D but he wouldn't have made it dominant on his own. He's just not a big play guy. So, I would have liked to see him here, but at the end of the day, he won't be the difference between a good D and a bad D. We need Schobel, Maybin, Stroud, McKelvin, Poz and Whitner to step up big time, and that would still be true if Pisa was here.

So **** it- let him play for the Bears. And honestly, can you blame him? Would you rather play next to Poz and Mitchell or Urlacher and Briggs?
Poz and Mitch. There would be a lot more to keep you busy.

Mr. Miyagi
06-05-2009, 03:25 PM
It was a 50-50 gamble. Had we told him that he'd have to compete for the job, he could've easily been pissed off anyway.

What-the-f-ever. :rolleyes:

yordad
06-05-2009, 03:51 PM
Poz and Mitch. There would be a lot more to keep you busy.And he would have a better chance of being a 3 down lb, boasting his next contract considerably. If he wanted competition (lame excuse) he would have been competing with Poz and Mitch for a nickle package.

What an ***.

Thurmal
06-05-2009, 03:53 PM
Couldn't you translate his quote into = "Chicago offered me the most money."?

seanbillsfan
06-05-2009, 04:20 PM
I was never that excited about this guy anyways. He'll just fade away like most of the other free agents that we didnt sign

yordad
06-05-2009, 04:39 PM
Couldn't you translate his quote into = "Chicago offered me the most money."?One million per year? If that is the case, then it is even worst then him simply being an ***.

Mudflap1
06-05-2009, 04:42 PM
If the rumors off this board are true and the Bills offered in the $3 million range, and he would be a starter, why would he take $1 million and have to compete to be a starter? That makes no sense.

The Bills must have offered nothing, or the Bills must've been tragically uninspiring during the visit.

SquishDaFish
06-05-2009, 04:53 PM
Or he is more comfortable working with his ex coaches and thinks thats his best opp for more money at FA

Mr. Pink
06-05-2009, 05:36 PM
Or he wants to play for a team that has a better chance of (gasp) actually winning some football games.

I know it's hard to fathom that but some players are interested in winning.

Buffalogic
06-05-2009, 05:45 PM
lol whatever, dude..

Goobylal
06-05-2009, 07:48 PM
I'm betting the Bills offered PT a 3-year $4.5-5M deal, which was decent money, but not what he was looking for. So instead he took the 1-year deal to showcase himself and get a big contract next year. The problem is that the Bills are likely done with him, and there really aren't any other cover-2 teams anymore, meaning it's the Bears or nothing. We'll see if the move pays off, but likely it won't.

And his "I need to compete to be hungry" was pathetic. I'm glad he didn't take the Bills' offer, after reading that garbage. And that he worried about Ellison's feelings.

yordad
06-05-2009, 08:24 PM
What a pisa sh**

madness
06-05-2009, 08:38 PM
He said it in his first quote. It had nothing to do with money or certainty of a starting position. He wanted to win. St. Louis to Buffalo isn't really an upgrade in that department.

BertSquirtgum
06-05-2009, 08:52 PM
what a clown this guy is. he can go f himself

Goobylal
06-05-2009, 09:00 PM
He said it in his first quote. It had nothing to do with money or certainty of a starting position. He wanted to win. St. Louis to Buffalo isn't really an upgrade in that department.
Yeah, and going 9-7 and still missing the playoffs is awesome!

billogic99
06-06-2009, 12:15 AM
Poz and Mitch. There would be a lot more to keep you busy.

That's a valid point, but playing next to Urlacher and Briggs allows a far more legit shot at the pro bowl and increasing your stock. Lord knows theres a long history of guys getting big paychecks simply because they were in the right situation. Plus Chicago has this Cutler thing on their side. Everyone seems to think Cutler can just step in any offense and succeed. So selling the offense is a lot easier in Chicago than it is in Buffalo, that and a very recent SB apperance. Chicago just has quite a bit more to offer right now.

jamze132
06-06-2009, 01:10 AM
Geez, why are some of you all pissed off that an average football player chose to play for a better team than us?

Jan Reimers
06-06-2009, 06:49 AM
Geez, why are some of you all pissed off that an average football player chose to play for a better team than us?
I agree. It's time to stop obsessing over the FAs we didn't sign, and to concentrate on the players we do have, and what they might become.

don137
06-06-2009, 06:50 AM
I don't feel Chicago is a better football team than the Bills but I do feel Pisa has a better chance of going to the playoffs with Chicago just because they play in one of the two weakest divisions in football, with the AFC West being the other division.
Maybe Pisa realized this as well. He basically is implying he rather win in a cupcake division than try to win in a tough division.

Throne Logic
06-06-2009, 07:19 AM
Yeah, and going 9-7 and still missing the playoffs is awesome!

If you step back and look at the Bills and Bears from an unbiased position, I think you'd find the Bears to be significantly more appealing.

They signed a young top-notch QB.
Buffalo has signed a 36 y/o distructive force.

They offer the chance to be part of a top 3 defense (that gets lots of publicity).
Buffalo offers the chance to start.

They have been in the playoffs this century, including a Superbowl.
Buffalo has watched the playoffs on TV for a decade.

They are the definition of "up and coming".
Buffalo has been diligently setting a new standard for mediocrity.

They have 5 primetime games in 2009.
Buffalo opens the season with what all non-Buffalo fans consider to likely be the Butt-Whip Bowl on MNF, followed by one more night game played in Canada and broadcast on the viewer restricted NFL Network.

If you were a capable NFL player looking to showcase your abilities aiming for a huge contract in 2010, where would you choose to do it?

Luisito23
06-06-2009, 07:23 AM
I agree with you Throne Logic, but he could of used a something better than that pathetic excuse. :nono:

yordad
06-06-2009, 08:14 AM
If you were a capable NFL player looking to showcase your abilities aiming for a huge contract in 2010, where would you choose to do it?On a team where I can get 3rd down snaps, not on a team were I am a 2 down LB.

acehole
06-06-2009, 08:57 AM
My Dad used to say, "Like water off a duck's back." :D

Sab mom says "Like ---)... off my face"

everyone different.

Goobylal
06-06-2009, 12:18 PM
If you step back and look at the Bills and Bears from an unbiased position, I think you'd find the Bears to be significantly more appealing.

They signed a young top-notch QB.
Buffalo has signed a 36 y/o distructive force.

They offer the chance to be part of a top 3 defense (that gets lots of publicity).
Buffalo offers the chance to start.

They have been in the playoffs this century, including a Superbowl.
Buffalo has watched the playoffs on TV for a decade.

They are the definition of "up and coming".
Buffalo has been diligently setting a new standard for mediocrity.

They have 5 primetime games in 2009.
Buffalo opens the season with what all non-Buffalo fans consider to likely be the Butt-Whip Bowl on MNF, followed by one more night game played in Canada and broadcast on the viewer restricted NFL Network.

If you were a capable NFL player looking to showcase your abilities aiming for a huge contract in 2010, where would you choose to do it?
Cutler is more hype than substance. While he threw for a ton of yards, he was 16th in QB rating and took his team to an 8-8 record and a late-season collapse. This in the worst division in the NFL (the NFC North, where PT is going, is the 2nd worst in the NFL). And his whining schoolgirl act with the Broncos was pretty pathetic. Besides, he has no receivers other than Greg Olsen, who is as good as Tony Scheffler, much less guys like Marshall and Royal, and their OC is nowhere near the offensive genius Shanahan is. Contrast that with TO, who is a destructive force on the field, has scored the most TD's the past 3 years, and who isn't a problem his first season with a team (if the Bills re-sign him, we can talk next year about him being a destructive force), and it's hardly comparable.

The Bear were anything but a top defense last year. In fact, they ranked 21st in yards allowed and tied for 16th in points allowed. IOW they were average at best. They added no one else to the team over the off-season who could be considered an upgrade, except for arguably Cutler, who as I said won't have near the same offense around him, meaning that PT will be the main change to the defense, if not team. Will he be enough to pull them out of their averageness? Doubtful.

As for what they've done this decade, BFD. The Rams went to the SB earlier this decade and also lost, and PT couldn't wait to get out of there. The Bears are not "up and coming;" they came and went, with 2006 being their pinnacle season.

And yes they have more primetime games. That's because of the Cutler hype and mostly because they're a large market. No team who goes 8-8 and misses the playoffs should have more than 1 game on primetime TV.

Finally WRT showcasing himself, he first has to win the job. If he doesn't, he's basically kissed his NFL career, and a lot of money (that he left on the table with the Bills), goodbye. And if he wins the job but performs poorly, that's more exposure to also kill his NFL career. He took a major gamble and the odds aren't in his favor.

HHURRICANE
06-06-2009, 12:34 PM
Pisa was a mediocre solution to Ellison. This reminded me of a Trey Teague or Gandy signing.

He was so good on the Rams that they cut him?

We know what players suck here but other teams don't realize that?

This is why Hangartner scares me. A career backup viewed as our best long term off-season signing.

acehole
06-06-2009, 12:47 PM
Pisa was a mediocre solution to Ellison. This reminded me of a Trey Teague or Gandy signing.

This is why Hangartner scares me. A career backup viewed as our best long term off-season signing.

I disagree on your points.
Rams wanted bigger backers.
They did not want to pay him his $$ to be a back up.
Any upgrade is a good upgrade esspecially giving the
fact Ellison would have still made the roster.....When
you consider last years losses and the pionts spread
on those losses a minor upgrade might be all we need
to close a 1 2 3 piont game. Teague,gandy,dockery,
williams...all crap shoots anyway. At least Pisa has
had some good play on a tape or two and being a
leading tackler is important for a LB's inspite of
our stupid posters. Mute point now. Hangartner
is athletic enough to help one of the fatty's
hold up the Nose. I for one like the signing
with the draft picks we have we should have
the foundation for the inner o line for a while.

I my self would have liked Loadholt as he is
slated as a starter on the right....for those
of you who said he was not worthy of a high
pick you were wrong.

Goobylal
06-06-2009, 12:48 PM

Hangartner wasn't cut. PT was. The Panthers had and have no cap room to sign/re-sign anyone except for Gross and an RFA, after franchising Peppers. The Rams are well under the cap, but PT didn't fit Spagnuolo's defense.

yordad
06-06-2009, 02:05 PM
Oh come on, the Bears suck.

HHURRICANE
06-06-2009, 02:10 PM
Hangartner wasn't cut. PT was. The Panthers had and have no cap room to sign/re-sign anyone except for Gross and an RFA, after franchising Peppers. The Rams are well under the cap, but PT didn't fit Spagnuolo's defense.

Hangartner was only a starter because of injuries above him. No he was not cut and I undersatnd that. Backups are backups for a reason. Look at Duke Preston.

The argument that a scheme doesn't fit a player makes me laugh because I never see a great player ge cut because of a scheme.

Pisa was not a solution just a better bandaid than the one we have now.

Ellison sucked last year. SUCKED!!! He was the slowest player on the field. The Bills decided not to address a giant hole by resigning Crowell so now we are stuck with Ellsion again.

acehole
06-06-2009, 02:14 PM
Hangartner was only a starter because of injuries above him. No he was not cut and I undersatnd that. Backups are backups for a reason. Look at Duke Preston.

The argument that a scheme doesn't fit a player makes me laugh because I never see a great player ge cut because of a scheme.

Ellison sucked last year. SUCKED!!! He was the slowest player on the field. The Bills decided not to address a giant hole by resigning Crowell so now we are stuck with Ellsion again.

So you are complaining we did not sign a better player to replace a player who you are complaining we are stuck with.....

Got it.

HHURRICANE
06-06-2009, 02:20 PM
So you are complaining we did not sign a better player to replace a player who you are complaining we are stuck with.....

Got it.

Can you read? I just said Pisa isn't a better replacement, just a slighty better band-aid.

This isn't a "suck-off". The objective is trying to find someone who can actually play the position well.

acehole
06-06-2009, 02:44 PM
Can you read? I just said Pisa isn't a better replacement, just a slighty better band-aid.

This isn't a "suck-off". The objective is trying to find someone who can actually play the position well.

Pisa was capable of that and more...

Oh well.

We'll get him next time.

billogic99
06-06-2009, 05:13 PM
Oh come on, the Bears suck.

They suck? Weren't they just in the SB two years ago? I don't think they're a SB now, but they have a HC that can get them there. I don't think they suck. If you think the Bears suck, what in the world do you think of the Bills?

acehole
06-06-2009, 05:51 PM

I will let the front office know what you think.
Modrak will be shocked at this news...

Goobylal
06-06-2009, 08:59 PM

Don't take what the Panthers did as gospel. They cut Justin Hartwig after last season, and he only went onto anchor the SB winning Steelers' OL, while their own center missed games (again) and had to be bailed-out by Hangartner (again) with no dropoff in play. It's not like they're infallible when it comes to making personnel decisions.

And no one is calling PT "great." They're saying what you're saying, i.e. that he's an upgrade from Ellison. And better is better, period.

yordad
06-08-2009, 08:55 AM
They suck? Weren't they just in the SB two years ago? I don't think they're a SB now, but they have a HC that can get them there. I don't think they suck. If you think the Bears suck, what in the world do you think of the Bills?Well, didn't the Lions make the playoffs a few years ago? "Suck" isn't past tense.

Oh, and I am pretty sure the Bills suck too, just a little less then the Bears.