PDA

View Full Version : Bills wideout Johnson polishes second act

madness
06-08-2009, 10:15 AM
Johnson continues to impress. :up:

<!-- --> When you're a seventh-round draft pick, you had better get the attention of the coaches. Fast.
Steve Johnson caught the Buffalo Bills' eye last season and they can't stop looking at him.
He's no longer a late-round afterthought but a more self-assured second-year wide receiver who is determined to build off the promise of his rookie season.
"I'm approaching it with the same mentality as last year," Johnson said last week after a voluntary workout. "I was trying to make an impression every time I stepped on the field.
"Coming into this year, you're going to get a little bit of an opportunity and you've got to make the best out of all of them. Whether it's blocking or catching a 5-yard route, you've got to show the players and the coaches that you should be out there on the field."
Johnson certainly showed he belonged last season. He even upstaged fellow rookie wideout and second-round pick James Hardy, who struggled throughout his first year before missing the final two games with a knee injury.
What became evident as the season went along was Johnson benefited from his experience in a pro-style offense at the University of Kentucky. He didn't get much playing time early, but his opportunities increased as his polished route running and feel for reading defenses became more evident.
While Johnson's 2008 numbers don't jump off the stat sheet (10 catches for 102 yards and two touchdowns in 11 appearances), he did show flashes of what kind of player he can be.
The Bills expect those glimpses of potential to turn into sustained excellence.
"Steve proved last year that he belongs in this league," offensive coordinator Turk Schonert said. "He's worked really hard this offseason, and it shows. I think he's only going to get better from here."
Johnson appears to have picked up where he left off at the end of last season. He has looked good this spring, making several nice catches and using his 6-foot-3, 198-pound frame and deceptive speed to separate from defenders.
"If you guys could watch some of this tape of the past couple practices of him getting off of the press, it's ridiculous," quarterback Trent Edwards said. "It's making some of the best corners on our team [look bad], getting right by them. He's shifty, he moves well, he comes out of his breaks well and I'm happy he's one of our receivers."
With Josh Reed and Roscoe Parrish absent from Thursday's voluntary workout, Johnson got nearly every snap with the starting offense when the Bills used three wide receivers. After practice, he spent an extra 20 minutes working on running routes with Edwards and fellow receivers Terrell Owens and Lee Evans.
Johnson was excited when he heard the Bills had signed Owens, whose work ethic and approach to the game have already rubbed off on the young wideout.
"Without even having to talk to him, I have learned a lot just by watching his game and how he attacks his routes," Johnson said. "And then in the meeting room, just having little conversations with him it's easy to see why he's one of the elite.
"But it's not only Terrell Owens. It's Lee, Josh [Reed] and Roscoe [Parrish] also helping me with the things I need to be successful. It's a pretty cool situation."...

http://www.buffalonews.com/452/story/696204.html

elltrain22
06-08-2009, 10:22 AM
OMG I cannot wait until this year!!!!

Jan Reimers
06-08-2009, 10:22 AM
This guy could be a star down the road. He seems to have all the tools.

Mahdi
06-08-2009, 10:23 AM
Johnson should put on a few pounds and model his game after TO. Hardy could use a few pounds himself.

Dr. Pepper
06-08-2009, 10:27 AM
Johnson should play more than Hardy this year.

madness
06-08-2009, 10:52 AM

I expect him to play more than Parrish this year too. He can already do two things better... run blocking and getting off the press. I really like the idea of him being in the other slot on 4 wide with a single RB.

Mahdi
06-08-2009, 11:04 AM
I think Johnson should challenge Reed for playing time in the slot.

jamze132
06-08-2009, 04:09 PM
I have a good feeling that baring any injuries, Johnson will see 16 games this year. I would say more but the rest of the Bills need to step up their game...

ServoBillieves
06-08-2009, 04:41 PM
I would enjoy a depth chart consisting of (from #1 to #6) Lee, Terrell, Stevie, Josh/Roscoe, James.

It's tough, though, because of the T.O. aspect. It immediately puts a huge competition between two vets, one unhappy with the lack of receptions and has the tools to play (Sco), one who has been a staple of the offense for years (Reed), and two up-and-coming receivers who need to see the field to improve.

An injury will make things more solidified, but I pray that's not the case and the younger guys can deal with their roles.

mayotm
06-08-2009, 04:42 PM
Johnson seems to have some upside, but barring injuries, he'll have a difficult time getting on the field. He's at best, the 4th receiver. I know many of you don't like Reed, but he's clearly the #3.

JD
06-08-2009, 05:01 PM
I forget what preseason game it was last year.. maybe the last before reg. seasons but I was just amazed by this guys abilities. His quick route reads and breaks from defenders was something to see! Up and coming star right there.

JD
06-08-2009, 05:01 PM
I would enjoy a depth chart consisting of (from #1 to #6) Lee, Terrell, Stevie, Josh/Roscoe, James.

It's tough, though, because of the T.O. aspect. It immediately puts a huge competition between two vets, one unhappy with the lack of receptions and has the tools to play (Sco), one who has been a staple of the offense for years (Reed), and two up-and-coming receivers who need to see the field to improve.

An injury will make things more solidified, but I pray that's not the case and the younger guys can deal with their roles.

Roscoe wont be around for long if hes not at least a 3/4