• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madness
    • Apr 2003

Opportunity knocks for Bills rookie

By Mark Gaughan
    NEWS SPORTS REPORTER

Buffalo Bills rookie linebacker Nic Harris has three things going for him in his underdog bid to get on the field this season.
    One is opportunity. Incumbent starter Keith Ellison has a tenuous hold on the strong-side position.
    Two is size. At 6-foot-2, 234 pounds, Harris has the biggest frame of the three current main competitors for the job.
    Three is smarts. Harris is very intelligent.
    The fact Harris is only a sixth-round draft choice and he’s switching positions makes him a long shot to start as a rookie. But his favorable circumstances suggest it isn’t an impossible dream.
    “I’m going to try to start on Monday Night Football against New England,” Harris said after Monday’s voluntary practice in Orchard Park.
    “The adjustment is going pretty well,” Harris said. “There’s a lot to determine. There’s a lot going on. We’re pretty much just thrown into the fire. But ultimately as each week passes, it’s getting better and better.”
    Harris played as a big safety at the University of Oklahoma. Some NFL teams viewed him as a “tweener” entering the draft; a man stuck between positions. But the Bills value mobility at outside linebacker and think he can make the switch.
    Harris graduated from Oklahoma in 3z ye 1/2 r 1/3 with a degree in physical therapy and a minor in sociology. He carried a grade- point average of 3.8.
    Moving closer to the ball on the defense is a mental challenge, Harris says.
    “I would say it’s easier in terms of athletic ability,” he said. “In the thinking process, it’s not. It’s night and day. It’s easy to go out there and play in the defensive secondary and know you have to play a certain coverage. But when you have to play backer you have to know why. . . . Why are you doing it? Who’s backing you up? Where’s your help? And what leverage do you use?”
    Harris will get a better handle on the physical part of playing linebacker in training camp.
    “I don’t think there’s a problem with him with the mental part of the game,” said defensive coordinator Perry Fewell. “His big challenge is going to be when the pads come on and he hears the noise in the box (the area between the offensive tackles). When all that starts to happen, how will he function then, because he’s played in the back and has not heard noise? He heard some, but not the kind he’s going to hear when he’s in that constant box.”
    Ellison, 6-foot and 229 pounds, has worked exclusively with the starters. He also is very smart. But the Bills have been looking at alternatives throughout the offseason.
    The latest was former Rams free agent Pisa Tinoisamoa, who picked Chicago over Buffalo last week. Tinoisamoa, a 220-pounder, signed a one-year deal with the Bears and reunited with his former coach, Lovie Smith.
    Harris has worked with the second-teamers at strong side backer all spring. Another contender is Alvin Bowen, listed at 6-1 and 222. He was a fifth-round pick last year. He has worked on the weak side all spring but is expected to try the strong side at camp. It’s also possible the Bills could scour the waiver wires in preseason for another option.
    •••

• OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: Opportunity knocks for Bills rookie

Harris is an S moving to LB
    Byrd is a CB moving to S.
    Levitre is a C moving to G.
    Maybin split time between DE and LB but will be playing DE.

That's a LOT of position changes from a single draft.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• The Spaz
      • Mar 2003

Acually Levitre is a OT moving to G.

Comment

• The Spaz
        • Mar 2003

Also Maybin played DE most of the time.

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Still that's 3 position changes in our top 5 or 6 draft picks.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Jan Reimers
            Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
            • May 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37

It's the absolute genius of our FO.
            Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• madness
              • Apr 2003

Still that's 3 position changes in our top 5 or 6 draft picks.
              You forgot Wood moving from C to G but moving OL to fit in the NFL is actually the norm.

That leaves 2 positions that you can worry about. We definitely aren't relying on these 2 guys to be starters either. I'd be a lot more worried if we were moving a S to a CB and a LB to a S. (Something previous coaching staffs tried and failed)

Comment

• bigbub2352
                • Feb 2005

If Harris can so much as stand his ground on D he is much much better than Ellison
                i cant believe Ellison is starting at OLB again so sad
                XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• Bulldog
                  Top Dog
                  • Jan 2003

I really don't care what Chris Brown said, Ellison will not be starting against NE. I have a feeling Harris will claim that spot in TC. He's bigger, a better athlete, and just as smart if not smarter than Ellison.
                  I only drink when I'm alone or with others.

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by bigbub2352
                    If Harris can so much as stand his ground on D he is much much better than Ellison
                    i cant believe Ellison is starting at OLB again so sad
                    unfortunately, only so much can be accomplished in one off-season.

We needed help at DE.
                    The FO made a mistake signing Dock two years ago- they had to rectify that mistake.
                    The FO traded Peters- they had to fill that hole.

OLB fell off the radar.

I'm really hoping Bowen or Harris can step up and take Ellison's spot, but I have a feeling Ellison will be starting once again against NE. Uggh.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• TigerJ
                      • Jul 2002

It is quite a bit of position changing, though like others, I don't regard Maybin as a position change. Position changes are not uncommon in the NFL. In the first three cases you cite, I think they are fairly low risk. Harris did not carry very high value as a safety because he times pretty slow, though the Bills think he's faster than he timed at the combine. As the article suggests, he's supposed to be very smart and has enough size and ample physicality for the linebacker spot.

Levitre would have been in danger of not making it at all in the NFL as an OT because of his height and short arms, but he was rated as the the top or one of the top guards because he is pretty athletic.

Byrd lacks the speed to be a top CB in the pros, but like all the players Buffalo drafted this year is very smart and a student of the game. That would seem to make him a natural fit at safety. CB to safety might be the most common position swith in the NFL.

Players who are drafted in the fifth round are not often seen to have starter potential, but if Harris can make the position switch, he may have a lot more upside as a linebacker than at safety, especially the cover 2 system Buffalo plays. This years draft may have a little more risk because of the position switches, but I really think Buffalo drafted pretty smartly this year, and it was not just Buffalo that anticipated that these position switches might need to take place for these guys. Levitre especially was projected by virtually everyone as a guard in the NFL if he wanted to haave a career.
                      I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• psubills62
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Sep 2008

Maybin was a DE period. There were a few times he dropped into coverage, but that doesn't mean he switched his position to a LB. He was a DE through the entire season.
                        "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                        - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Tatonka
                          • Jul 2002

levitre was a tackle. and that change is not difficult.. he is nto going from guard to tackle..

maybin is not switching positions.. he was not a traditional LB ever.. he was always a hand down pass rusher.. his change is minimal if at all.

but your are right..even with maybin of that list.. it is a lot of changes.. but i gues they felt they got value for their picks because of it.. i tend to agree.
                          "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                            Making Spirits Bright
                            • Mar 2006

PFFFT...

I do that in Madden all the time, just makes for faster safeties and linebackers. It's genious!

Comment

• tampabay25690
                              • Feb 2004

Its called talent
                              GO Gators!!!!!!
                              GO GATORS!!

Comment

Working...
                              X