PDA

View Full Version : Revisionist History on Schobel?

User Manuel
06-11-2009, 01:34 PM
I am not sure I understand the Aaron Schobel hate on the boards lately. The guy had serious arch injury last year. The team had a winning record with him in the lineup and he has been a tremendous contributor and made the Pro Bowl in 2006 and 2007 and should have made it in 2005.

So, how do we get to the point where a 31 year old guy who has made the Pro Bowl 2 out of 3 years is a bust? Because he was injured and only played 5 games, none of which he was healthy for?

Come on people. the man has been a stalwart and model of consistency throughout his career here. Don't drink the pessimists koolaid.

OpIv37
06-11-2009, 01:41 PM
He had 6.5 sacks in 2007- that's it. He didn't deserve the Pro Bowl and made it in name only. He's also been on steady decline since he got his big payday.

And for the record, I've never been a fan of Schobel, even when he was racking up sacks in 2006. He gets a lot of garbage time sacks and has a tendency to get a 2 or 3 sack game then disappear for the next 2 or 3 weeks.

TheMan08
06-11-2009, 01:43 PM
I don't get it. You can't count last year. He was hurt.

So he had one bad season. That being the 2007 year of 6.5 sacks. He never had a guy like Marcus Stroud in 2007. I think he will have 8 sacks and i'll bew happy with that output.

Mudflap1
06-11-2009, 01:44 PM
I am not sure I understand the Aaron Schobel hate on the boards lately. The guy had serious arch injury last year. The team had a winning record with him in the lineup and he has been a tremendous contributor and made the Pro Bowl in 2006 and 2007 and should have made it in 2005.

So, how do we get to the point where a 31 year old guy who has made the Pro Bowl 2 out of 3 years is a bust? Because he was injured and only played 5 games, none of which he was healthy for?

Come on people. the man has been a stalwart and model of consistency throughout his career here. Don't drink the pessimists koolaid.

Good post. However, I would add that he deserved to make the Pro Bowl in 2005 and 2006, but did not deserve it in 2007. That was a subpar year, and last year was an injury year (for the most part). That is why everyone is up in arms.

I agree we shouldn't hate on the guy... yet. Injuries are part of the game. However, he needs to deliver this season, or its "see you later Schobel".

OpIv37
06-11-2009, 01:45 PM
I don't get it. You can't count last year. He was hurt.

So he had one bad season. That being the 2007 year of 6.5 sacks. He never had a guy like Marcus Stroud in 2007. I think he will have 8 sacks and i'll bew happy with that output.

he didn't exactly look stellar before he got hurt. He had improved against the run, but his pass rush was non-existent.

Mahdi
06-11-2009, 01:46 PM

Well.. the way I see it... Schobel even when at his best rarely made game changing plays.

Also, he is more an effort player than a talent player and ROUTINELY gets phased out of games by the better LTs in the game.

Schobel might end a game with 4-5 tackles and a sack but he does not apply consistent pressure on QBs which IMO pressures are more important than sacks.

A DE runs about 30 passing downs a game, out of those 30 he may get 1 sack or even none, the other 29 snaps are where the money is earned. How often is he rushing the play, how often is he getting in the QBs face, how often does he collapse the pocket? That is where Schobel has ALWAYS fallen short, the other 29 snaps.

billsfanone
06-11-2009, 01:49 PM
I was never a fan of his. I like that he's gives 110% yadda yadda, but he racked up sacks in garbage time. He is a one trick poney (speed rush around the end). He's not a serous threat, easily blocked. He's not a disruption at all. QBs simply step up or OT's simply tap him past the play.

Thurmal
06-11-2009, 02:02 PM
To all the Schobel lovers:

Can you honestly remember a game where you thought, "I can't believe all the pressure that Schobel is getting on the QB" or even "Schobel's been in the backfield all day"?

He has buttered his bread on garbage time sacks in non-important situations his entire career. How many times in the past five years has the defense given up a game-winning drive to the other team because we can't get any pressure or big plays from the DEs on 3rd/4th down?

billsfanone
06-11-2009, 02:03 PM
Shoebel's sacks come when there is a breakdown in a play. I've never ever once seen him beat his man and come up with a pure sack. Never.

Dr. Pepper
06-11-2009, 02:08 PM
but guys, he could beat anyone off the line 5 years ago in john madden football for xbox!

User Manuel
06-11-2009, 02:44 PM
So all of his sacks came in garbage time on a losing team? Hmmm... I'll have to research that.

OpIv37
06-11-2009, 02:45 PM
So all of his sacks came in garbage time on a losing team? Hmmm... I'll have to research that.

not ALL of them, but a significant portion.

User Manuel
06-11-2009, 03:06 PM
in 2005, 2006 and 2007 Schobel had 6 1/2 sacks vs. New England, 4 1/2 vs Mia, 5 against the Jets.

In the division that is 16 sacks in 18 games in the division.

You guys like to generalize way too much. I think you will see a significant difference in the defense just with him present this year. Of course, maybe I am wrong.

I believe we are a far better defense when he plays.

OpIv37
06-11-2009, 03:07 PM
I believe the pass rush is mediocre when he plays and pathetic when he doesn't. Unfortunately, mediocre is still mediocre.

Mahdi
06-11-2009, 03:09 PM
in 2005, 2006 and 2007 Schobel had 6 1/2 sacks vs. New England, 4 1/2 vs Mia, 5 against the Jets.

In the division that is 16 sacks in 18 games in the division.

You guys like to generalize way too much. I think you will see a significant difference in the defense just with him present this year. Of course, maybe I am wrong.

I believe we are a far better defense when he plays.
Yes he will be an upgrade over Denney. But he will never have the effect Osi, Strahan, Abraham, Freeney, Mathis etc have on a game.

TheMan08
06-11-2009, 03:10 PM
And mediocre is still far better than pathetic.

ddaryl
06-11-2009, 03:21 PM
Schobel is solid, but he is not a game changer. Nor can I ever really recall him making a big play against a great team at desperately needed moment in his entire career.

HHURRICANE
06-11-2009, 04:04 PM
The guy had 1 sack in the first 5 games he played last year before he got hurt. So those were fairly crappy teams except for the Cardinals. So he was on pace to have 3.5 sacks in 2008 so the argument that he got hurt is BS.

In 2007 he had 6.5 sacks.

So in the last 2 years he's had 7.5 sacks all after losing 20 pounds and signing a new 50 million dollar deal with 20 million guaranteed.

The guy is a joke.

Furthermore, anyone who's watched this team realizes that Schobel has never made a sack when it really mattered. I've seen a few at the end of games where we had the lead and there were obvious passing situations but a game changer he is not.

Buddo
06-11-2009, 04:33 PM
Schobel, over the years, has been a very good player for the Bills. Up until last year, I'm not sure that he had actually ever missed a game. That actually is a very important aspect of what he has brought to the team over the years - reliability.
Now I don't know to whom the quote should be attributed, but a venerable NFL coach, when asked who his most valuable players were, replied to the effect that it was the guys who turned out every Sunday.
I do think that the criticism about not making plays when it counts, has some validity. The problem there, is that he isn't a Bruce Smith (i.e. some sort of force of nature), and does need the other parts of the D to function to be successful. He hasn't exactly been afforded that luxury on a regular basis.
I also think that some of his success coming in 'clusters' is as much down to game planning against him, and also what appears to be the fact that some guys, he just seems to be able to get by when he needs to.
It should also be noted, that the contract he was given, wasn't given to him in the expectation that he would suddenly metamorphose into Bruce Smith, it was given to him as the player he was, at the end of 2006. i.e. he wasn't getting paid in the expectation of increased performance.

Mr. Pink
06-11-2009, 04:48 PM
Schobel doesn't even really need to be blocked that's the problem...

He speed rushes to the outside and over runs plays constantly...

An OT just has to basically steer him further and further outside.

The Jokeman
06-11-2009, 05:51 PM
I've said it many atime but Schobel's biggest downfall is coming after Bruce Smith. As Smith was a truly once in a lifetime player. As a result we all fail to realize just how good Schobel is. Let's look Schobel closer compared to some of his 2001 draft compadres:

Justin Smith: 127 games 50.5 sacks or 0.40 per game
Andre Carter: 117 games 52.5 sacks or 0.44 per game
Jamal Reynolds: Out of NFL
Ryan Pickett: Plays DT
Kyle Vanden Bosch: 93 games 39.5 sacks or 0.42 per game
Aaron Schobel 117 games 68 sacks or 0.58 per game
Paul Toviessi Out of NFL
Derrick Burgess: 85 games 47 sacks or 0.55 per game
Reggie Hayward: 90 games 38 sacks or 0.43 per game

Simply put he's the best of his draft class which all things considered is all we could hope for. Not to mention many of the aforementioned are playing for their second teams whereas Schobel's been a lifetime Bill which truly even better.

yordad
06-11-2009, 06:27 PM
And for the record, I've never been a fan of Schobel, even when he was racking up sacks in 2006. He gets a lot of garbage time sacks and has a tendency to get a 2 or 3 sack game then disappear for the next 2 or 3 weeks. I do agree that Schobel has lost a step since getting paid. I do believe he just doesn't seem to have the inner drive as much. I do believe he dropped off significantly.

I doubt he will reach his peak form again.

But, I believe I have heard the "garbage sacks" phrase a lot. So, I decided to take a look. These stats indicate otherwise.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/splits?playerId=2594&sYear=2006

yordad
06-11-2009, 06:27 PM
Anyone know where to get stats on TFL or pressures?