Bills in a hurry to learn no-huddle offense

Talking about how the Bills are doing with the new offense system:

3,000,000th post on BZ!

• Typ0
    honey pie
    • Jul 2002

Re: Bills in a hurry to learn no-huddle offense

a couple of things about this article:

I think a lot of fans are going to be disappointed when this team doesn't run the no huddle too much. People like the excitement of it but I don't think we have the defense to run it extensively. There certainly is a very important aspect of the time management game that requires efficiently running the no huddle. The team didn't seem prepared to run it effectively last season which is why they went into the locker room without trying to put some points on the board a few times when the clock was running out in the half.

I like the way the article points out how it's the QBs responsibility to get the team into the right play. We haven't been getting that from the QB since Bledsoe and it's hurt tremendously. The destructive force that was JP Lossman is still highly underestimated in the recent failures of the team.

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

Completely reshuffled OL that includes a new C and 2 rookies
      Inexperienced QB
      New WR
      Rookie TE likely to get playing time, no TE's with more than two years experience

"I know! Let's try to learn the no-huddle in one off-season with 4-5 new starters on offense!"

Another brilliant coaching decision.

People forget that the K gun years were before the days of FA. The lineup was practically the same every year. And they didn't get it right in Year 1. It took them several years to perfect it.

So, this may be a good long term strategy, but anyone who thinks the Bills are going to come out with guns blazing and put up 24 before the opponent even gets warmed up (like the K gun used to do) is going to be very disappointed.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• zone
        No, look. I do mind. The Dude minds.
        • Oct 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37
        Inexperienced QB
        New WR
        Rookie TE likely to get playing time, no TE's with more than two years experience

"I know! Let's try to learn the no-huddle in one off-season with 4-5 new starters on offense!"

People forget that the K gun years were before the days of FA. The lineup was practically the same every year. And they didn't get it right in Year 1. It took them several years to perfect it.

So, this may be a good long term strategy, but anyone who thinks the Bills are going to come out with guns blazing and put up 24 before the opponent even gets warmed up (like the K gun used to do) is going to be very disappointed.
        What better time to start then having them learn it right away?

There are always going to be new players in the system, you can't let that stop you from doing what you think it will take to have an edge and win.

Should Miami not have implemented the wildcat because of all the new players and coaches they had?
        www.blzbus.com

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by zone
          What better time to start then having them learn it right away?

There are always going to be new players in the system, you can't let that stop you from doing what you think it will take to have an edge and win.

Should Miami not have implemented the wildcat because of all the new players and coaches they had?
          Gotta start somewhere- the problem is I think too many people are expecting immediate results. And it doesn't work like that.

Face it- starting 2-3 rookies and 4-5 new players on offense alone, changing the offensive system, cutting/trading vets like Peters and Dock- we're rebuilding. Still.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Mahdi
            • Mar 2004

Gotta start somewhere- the problem is I think too many people are expecting immediate results. And it doesn't work like that.

Face it- starting 2-3 rookies and 4-5 new players on offense alone, changing the offensive system, cutting/trading vets like Peters and Dock- we're rebuilding. Still.
            Dolphins new starters in 2008 -- Pennington, Bess, Smiley, Long, Langford, Merling, Ayodele, Ferguson, Ndukwe....

Falcons new starters in 2008 -- Matt Ryan, Michael Turner, Wire, Lofton, Moorehead, Sam Baker, Harvey Dahl

It can be done.... if 2 teams with 4 wins between them the season before can make the playoffs with that many new starters and rookies in critical positions... the Bills can do it too...

Comment

• madness
              • Apr 2003

Then over half of the league "rebuilds" every year.

Comment

• Typ0
                honey pie
                • Jul 2002

being efficient in the no huddle can be a critically important part of the offense. Just because they are working on this component doesn't mean they are going to run the KGun. They should be working on the no huddle offense. The time will come that the work will pay off.

Inexperienced QB
                New WR

Comment

• psubills62
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Sep 2008

I seriously doubt this will be the base offense we run in 2009.

I think the reasons they're practicing are: 1) it NEEDS to be practiced for when they run the hurry-up (which, btw is different from the no-huddle), and 2) it forces everyone to be on the same page, which helps for line adjustments even after the huddle.
                  "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                  - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Mahdi
                    Dolphins new starters in 2008 -- Pennington, Bess, Smiley, Long, Langford, Merling, Ayodele, Ferguson, Ndukwe....

Falcons new starters in 2008 -- Matt Ryan, Michael Turner, Wire, Lofton, Moorehead, Sam Baker, Harvey Dahl

It can be done.... if 2 teams with 4 wins between them the season before can make the playoffs with that many new starters and rookies in critical positions... the Bills can do it too...
                    It's the exception, not the rule.

They also have better coaches and FO's than we do.

What have you EVER seen from this team that makes you think they can accomplish something like this? The coaches are mediocre at best, the FO is terrible and the talent is mediocre at best.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• justasportsfan
                      • Jul 2002

Inexperienced QB
                      New WR

OP, if we don't run it, you'll ***** once we have to in regular season and say"we should've practiced it, blah,blah,blah"

Props to the coaching staff on this one. We're gonna need it since our coaches like to keep games close and win it in the 4th qtr.
                      sacrifice1
                      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                        OP, if we don't run it, you'll ***** once we have to in regular season and say"we should've practiced it, blah,blah,blah"

Props to the coaching staff on this one. We're gonna need it since our coaches like to keep games close and win it in the 4th qtr.
                        our coaches don't have the guts to run it. they just kill the clock before halftime.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

our coaches don't have the guts to run it. they just kill the clock before halftime.
                          maybe so but did you even bother reading the article?

The jury is out on how much they will use it during the upcoming season. It's unlikely at this point it will be their main mode of operation.
                          The jury is out as to how often they are going to run it but you talk like they've already decided to make it a regular thing like the bills of old. What if they have to run it in the last 2 mins. You can't tell me that practicing it won't help. You used to ***** about how Dick gave then team a day off saying that they could use the practice. Well? You're *****ing for the sake of *****ing.

I am as negative as I've been about this team than ever before, but I gotta say that doing something is better than doing nothing.

Practicing the no huddle won't hurt . Every team does it whether you think the team doesn't have the weapons to do so. Besides how do you know we don't have the weapons UNLESS YOU TRY. The rookies need to learn to run it and the best way is to practice it.

Do you think the fins didn't practice the wildcat thinking it'll never work because they have new players?
                          Last edited by justasportsfan; 06-12-2009, 09:10 AM.
                          sacrifice1

Comment

• mybills
                            81 st zoner
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Typ0

I like the way the article points out how it's the QBs responsibility to get the team into the right play. We haven't been getting that from the QB since Bledsoe and it's hurt tremendously. The destructive force that was JP Losman is still highly underestimated in the recent failures of the team.
                            This sounds just like bashing on the ex-president while the current one is in his 3rd year of office. I'm sure the guys forgot all about JP by now.
                            I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Typ0
                              I like the way the article points out how it's the QBs responsibility to get the team into the right play. We haven't been getting that from the QB since Bledsoe and it's hurt tremendously. The destructive force that was JP Lossman is still highly underestimated in the recent failures of the team.
                              never the coaches fault huh? You saying that coaches don't call plays on the field? Do you remember Fewell calling the wrong plays against the cowboys in the last few minutes. Was that the players' fault? Do you remember Trent blaming Turk last year? If that was Trents fault then we're in trouble.
                              Last edited by justasportsfan; 06-12-2009, 09:21 AM.
                              sacrifice1

Comment

Working...
                              X