PDA

View Full Version : 10 Reason why the Bills won't make the playoffs.

TacklingDummy
05-19-2003, 12:50 PM
1) Gregg Williams
2) Jerry Gray
3) Still no quality DE
4) Takes time for new talent to jell
5) Can't beat the Patriots
6) Can't beat the Jets
7) Henry fumbles too much
8) Bledsoe's chokes too much in big games.
9) Will Moulds be able to get open without Peerless or will Peerless replacement be able to fill his shoes?
10) No depth on offense. Besides RB.

clumping platelets
05-19-2003, 12:52 PM
Now you need to give us 10 reasons why they will make the playoffs

Patrick76777
05-19-2003, 12:55 PM
I love how everybody wants the perfect team but over the past 5 years we’ve had the Rams win it with a below average Defense, the Ravens win it with NO offense, the Patriots win it with very average talent and the Bucs win it with No RB and an average offense.

You don’t need to be perfect to win.

Earthquake Enyart
05-19-2003, 12:58 PM
Be nice to have a decent HC, though. :eek:

Ebenezer
05-19-2003, 12:58 PM
...and grEGG is far from perfect!!!

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-19-2003, 01:03 PM
That's 10 reasons why they didn't make the playoffs last year. Think in terms of now and not in the past.

The Spaz
05-19-2003, 01:05 PM
He likes Rob Johnson enough said...... Go Bills!

TacklingDummy
05-19-2003, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by clumping platelets
Now you need to give us 10 reasons why they will make the playoffs

Can't think of ten....

1) Improved Defense (On Paper)
2) Henry's see's the writing on the wall and holds on to the ball better.
3) Moorman: Best punter in the NFL

TacklingDummy
05-19-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
He likes Rob Johnson enough said...... Go Bills!

LMAO. right.

The Spaz
05-19-2003, 01:11 PM
Well it says your a proud member of the Rob Johnson Fan Club! Go Bills!

clumping platelets
05-19-2003, 01:12 PM
how about addition of veterans with playoff experience and leadership qualities?

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-19-2003, 01:15 PM
I'll give you 10:

1. Drew Bledsoe - one year under the belt and a new commitment to the running game all help Drew.
2. Sam Adams - Along with Pat Williams the two will command double teaming which will allow a better pass rush from the outside, will also allow the DBs to better cover their man.
3. LB corps - OK this is arguably one of the best LB corp in the league, let's see what they can do.
4. Run Defense - Hopefully with the additions the Bills will be able to have a huge improvement against the run, which by the way is a key with their run heavy schedule.
5. Greg Williams - That's right, you heard it here first. Williams heads into his third year, a more talented roster, and the experience of some bad calls in the past.
6. Travis Henry - Henry can duplicate his stats from last year and have a great year. If he can hold onto the rock we are in store for something special.
7. O-line - No changes in the O-line. Look for them to gel into a very solid unit.
8. TD - I can't see him being done if FA, look for another move or two in the season.
9. Eric Moulds - With the departure of Peerless I see Moulds becoming an even better WR. Give him the damn ball!!!!
10. Special Teams - I look for a better unit out there this time around.

Wildcard - Willis McGahee - If McGahee comes back and plays just think of the boost he will give the offense. Another thing that opposing teams need to worry about.

BillC
05-19-2003, 01:15 PM
1) More pressure on QB's
2) More Interceptions for the secondary
3) Stuffing the run- no second and 4's
4) Tougher defense takes pressure of need to Pass for 4,000 yards
5) Running game becomes the focus of the O, not just something to kil the clock
6)Better Special teams with Spoon back, Haggan, and other pickups
7)Quality depth
8) Offensive line has a year under the belt together
9) Emergence of Josh Reed
10) Astro-Play

BillC
05-19-2003, 01:16 PM
11) The addition of Ghost to the boards.... welcome!

justasportsfan
05-19-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by TacklingDummy

LMAO. right.

Yup, he was kidding. He meant to say you adore Robosack. ;)

BillsNYC
05-19-2003, 01:18 PM
welcome ghost!

12) drew's head

athletic ability as a QB no question he's one of he best...his mind problems still haunt my dreams....

TacklingDummy
05-19-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
I'll give you 10:

1. Drew Bledsoe - one year under the belt and a new commitment to the running game all help Drew.
2. Sam Adams - Along with Pat Williams the two will command double teaming which will allow a better pass rush from the outside, will also allow the DBs to better cover their man.
3. LB corps - OK this is arguably one of the best LB corp in the league, let's see what they can do.
4. Run Defense - Hopefully with the additions the Bills will be able to have a huge improvement against the run, which by the way is a key with their run heavy schedule.
5. Greg Williams - That's right, you heard it here first. Williams heads into his third year, a more talented roster, and the experience of some bad calls in the past.
6. Travis Henry - Henry can duplicate his stats from last year and have a great year. If he can hold onto the rock we are in store for something special.
7. O-line - No changes in the O-line. Look for them to gel into a very solid unit.
8. TD - I can't see him being done if FA, look for another move or two in the season.
9. Eric Moulds - With the departure of Peerless I see Moulds becoming an even better WR. Give him the damn ball!!!!
10. Special Teams - I look for a better unit out there this time around.

1) Drew Bledsoe lost Price,Jay R, and Centers. He is going to have to get use to new players.
2) Don't run at Williams and Adams. Can just run around them and right past the poor DE's we have.
3) LB Group does look good. Should be even better with Adams and Williams plugging the middle. Maybe the can make up for the lack of a quality DE we have.
4) Why run on the Bills when you can pass the ball all game because there is no pass rush. Leaving the CB's out to dry.
5) Williams is still a joke of a coach with no Game Day skills. I think he actually made more mistakes last year then he did his first year.
6) I like Henry. Just wish he had stronger hands. Or actually hold the ball. Sometimes I seen him running like he was holding a loaf of bread. Its no wonder he fumbles.
9) Hopefully Moulds does show up to play. I remember many of us asking where Eric was last year. Now with Price gone will Eric disappear even more or will Price's replacement pick up the slack.
10) I agree with special teams. They are the 1 unit the improved from week 1 till week 17.

justasportsfan
05-19-2003, 01:37 PM
Hey, Tackle. Seems like you and wys are finally on the same page with this negativity.

Valerie
05-19-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by TacklingDummy 3) Moorman: Best punter in the NFL
Is Moorman really the best punter in the NFL? I thought he had a few horrible games last year.

TacklingDummy
05-19-2003, 01:42 PM
Thanks fan.

Wing's does a better job at writing books and using stats. to back them up. Even if he does bend the stats. to fit his point.

TacklingDummy
05-19-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Jaded 7

Is Moorman really the best punter in the NFL? I thought he had a few horrible games last year.

IMO, he was. Even thou other Punters had better stats. They also didnt play in Buffalo.

Moorman deserved the Pro Bowl alot more then Henry did. Only reason Henry made it was do to injuries. Moorman should of made it by the way he played.

He was robbed.

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-19-2003, 02:01 PM

1) Drew Bledsoe lost Price,Jay R, and Centers. He is going to have to get use to new players.
2) Don't run at Williams and Adams. Can just run around them and right past the poor DE's we have.
3) LB Group does look good. Should be even better with Adams and Williams plugging the middle. Maybe the can make up for the lack of a quality DE we have.
4) Why run on the Bills when you can pass the ball all game because there is no pass rush. Leaving the CB's out to dry.
5) Williams is still a joke of a coach with no Game Day skills. I think he actually made more mistakes last year then he did his first year.
6) I like Henry. Just wish he had stronger hands. Or actually hold the ball. Sometimes I seen him running like he was holding a loaf of bread. Its no wonder he fumbles.
9) Hopefully Moulds does show up to play. I remember many of us asking where Eric was last year. Now with Price gone will Eric disappear even more or will Price's replacement pick up the slack.
10) I agree with special teams. They are the 1 unit the improved from week 1 till week 17.

1. Sorry but Drew doesn't need to get used to them, they will need to get used to Drew
2. Run around ends, sure then meet Mr. Fletcher, Mr. Spikes, and Mr. Posey.
3. Adams and Williams will better the pass rush. The additions of Posey and Jones will also have another big impact on the pass rush. These are the QBs we will face Fiedler, Brady, and Pennington twice, Brunell, McNabb, Kitna, Ramsey, Green, Hutchinson, Carr, Manning, K. Collins, and McNair. With the exception of a couple of those guys, the rest don't make me quake in my boots if I am in charge of pass defense.
4. You can call Williams what you will. The guy has the respect of his players and will be better this season.

lordofgun
05-19-2003, 02:11 PM
Jim Kelly's dead? :eek:

eyedog
05-19-2003, 02:23 PM
I think Greg Williams is the big ? going into this season. The coaching staff is improved and the talent is improved. Is Williams ? He still has to prove it to me. I've seen to many mistakes and bonehead calls from him in gametime situations.

BillsNYC
05-19-2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun
Jim Kelly's dead? :eek:

on the football field...yes.

justasportsfan
05-19-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by eyedog
I think Greg Williams is the big ? going into this season. The coaching staff is improved and the talent is improved. Is Williams ? He still has to prove it to me. I've seen to many mistakes and bonehead calls from him in gametime situations.

Hopefully we'll be so far ahead in points that his bonhead calls won't matter.

Is Moorman really the best punter in the NFL?

No, Mark Royals is.

madness
05-19-2003, 04:39 PM
First, you guys have no faith in GW. So basically your calling TD an idiot for sticking with him. GW is a defensive mastermind learning the ropes as a head coach and ofcourse TD knows this. By the end of the year you all will be on his knob.

Second, if your worried about Moulds you should be shot! We lose a decent receiver to compliment him and all of sudden Moulds isn't as good anymore? How we forget so quickly. I remember when fans said it didn't matter if we had a second receiver because Moulds was so dominant. ESPN rated him the #1 receiver in the league. So show him respect by not worrying about him.

Third, start puckering up because everybody will be on Reed when this season ends too.

Fourth, there are so many things wrong with the beginning of this thread, I think I'm going to stop here.

eyedog
05-19-2003, 04:48 PM
Why should we have faith in GW ? Up to this point his gameday coaching has been below average and thats being kind. I hope he does learn from his past experiences and improves, but until then you can suck his knob madness23.

madness
05-19-2003, 05:02 PM
So you know every screw up last year was solely his fault? His coaching staff doesn't get any of the blame? Since he's so bad you can take that win in Minn back too. That was his defensive adjustment that stopped the Vikings O at the end of the game. In fact, if you take the adjustments he made all by his little self, the good outweigh the bad. TD, his coaching staff, and the players believe in him and that's all that matters. Not your opinion.

eyedog
05-19-2003, 05:06 PM
*** ******* (edited for Tos by bufftp) I never said the players and coaches don't believe in him. And yes gameday coaching decisions always fall on the headcoach. That is why he is the HEADCOACH, because the buck stops with him.

The Natrix
05-19-2003, 05:16 PM
yeah, like any of the players are going to publically state that they don't believe in G-dub.

I think he needs AT LEAST a playoff showing or he is gone.

4th and 1.9 on the 32 and you do what?!?!?!?!

madness
05-19-2003, 05:17 PM
Ohh, now we're name calling. How intelligent. I guess the head coach never gets any input from his assistants. He only goes with what he feels best and screw everyone else, right?

Politics 101: The head coach always takes the blame. Doesn't mean it was his fault.

"I never said the players and coaches don't believe in him."

By the way, I never said you said that.

madness
05-19-2003, 05:18 PM
Your right, you can just sense all the unhappy players here this year.

TacklingDummy
05-19-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by madness23
So you know every screw up last year was solely his fault? His coaching staff doesn't get any of the blame? Since he's so bad you can take that win in Minn back too. .

Are you talking about that boneheaded call of going for 2 when there was absoulty no need to? That game should have never of gone to overtime. Hollis awesome kick should of ended it right there.

Who was to blame for punting on the 32?

Fact is, Wade was a better coach for Buffalo. The record proves it. The players also liked Wade too. That didn't stop him from being fired or getting criticized.

TacklingDummy
05-19-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by The Natrix

I think he needs AT LEAST a playoff showing or he is gone.

I agree. There is alot of talent on this team and there should be no excuses on why we missed the playoffs.

GW I think can feel the pressure having 2 ex-Head Coaches on his staff. 1 of them will be the Bills coach if the Bills dont make the playoffs this year.

yle
05-19-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan

No, Mark Royals is.

LMAO! :chuckle: :laughter:

TacklingDummy
05-19-2003, 05:28 PM
I guess the head coach never gets any input from his assistants.

I do believe that TD has replaced most of GW's coaching assistants choices. I may be wrong but I believe Jerry Gray is the only one left.

THATHURMANATOR
05-19-2003, 05:31 PM

Yeah where was he last year???? He only had 100 catches and 10 td! :down:

TacklingDummy
05-19-2003, 05:36 PM
Did I say he didn't show up all year? You and I both know during some games Eric was no were to be found.

madness
05-19-2003, 05:38 PM
Sounds like TD thought it was the coaches around GW rather than GW.

Fact of the matter is, we're all stuck with GW this year. Mind as well support the guy.

To put together a team like this and try to make a run at the SB with a half-decent coach seems senseless. If you were to describe TD, sensless would not be one of those words.

THATHURMANATOR
05-19-2003, 05:39 PM
I guess. Everyone in the league has a bad game now and then! I don't remember however thinking to my self that Moulds was playing poorly at any time during last season.

TacklingDummy
05-19-2003, 05:42 PM
Sounds like TD thought it was the coaches around GW rather than GW.

Well most of those coaches are gone. And I beleive GW will be also if the Bills don't make the playoffs.

THATHURMANATOR
05-19-2003, 05:48 PM

Well most of those coaches are gone. And I beleive GW will be also if the Bills don't make the playoffs.

I do agree with that though.

madness
05-19-2003, 05:55 PM
If I have a bad game because I'm getting double teamed most of the time....I guess I can live with it.

madness
05-19-2003, 05:57 PM
If...and that's a big IF....the Bills don't make the playoffs this year, everybody deserves to be fired.

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-19-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by BillC
11) The addition of Ghost to the boards.... welcome!

I thank you Bill

Ingtar33
05-19-2003, 07:28 PM
Good lord were do I start... I think I won't just because this is too silly to get into... but maybe two small things.

We added 2 DEs who have had double digit sack seasons (one of whom is a two time ProBowler)... and a 3rd year DE who so far is having a better start to his career in every conceivable stat than Jason Taylor did with a better DL to help him. Best yet, we added a DE in the draft who not only should have gone in the first round but is the fastest DE on our team (a guy who had 7 sacks in 7 games last year...). Throw in a OLB who had 8 sacks (more than our whole LB corps last year) and we have the outline for a much improved pass rush.

This Drew nonsense is getting out of hand... he's on pace to challenge Dan Marino's career passing numbers (actually he's on pace for ending up within 20yards of Dan's numbers... over a similar 17year career)... furthermore he'd actually retire younger than Dan if he chose to end his career there. (he is also within shot of Dan's record TD pace). I only bring this up because you can’t be on these paces 10 years into an NFL career if you fold every time you face a top 15 defense… the averages will inevitably even out, and what Drew has done over the first ten years of his career is nothing short of amazing.

Now I know Dan is not a fav of Bills fans but I think everyone on this board would agree that if Dan had been provided with a good running game he would have won a super bowl before the end. Throw in our theoretical D and Eric Moulds, and this team could go far into the off-season.

Bufftp
05-19-2003, 07:35 PM
excellent post, but do you know your just a measly scout for an nfl team ;)

whats the buzz 'bout the bills though?

Ingtar33
05-19-2003, 08:27 PM
From what I've heard most people are talking about the AFCE, not necessarily the Bills... one guy was talking about it turning into the NFCE of the early '90s

HenryRules
05-19-2003, 08:32 PM
Nice points Ing. I agree that a lot of people are too harsh on Drew Bledsoe.

Another guy that people are too hard on is Gregg Williams. Wade's record does not prove that he was a better coach than Gregg Williams. Wade was here a long time and didn't have to start with scraps so comparing their won-loss records is comparing apples and oranges, the situations just weren't at all similar.
I think Jimmy Johnson was a damn successful coach in Dallas and started there in a similar situation to Gregg Williams situation here. Our team has matched up pretty well with the development of those Cowboys, so I am not going to complain at all about our record. Also, this is the first time that Williams will have a team of players that are of his own choosing (first year they were all castoffs, last year the offense were players he liked and they did pretty well). I know TD has final say, but GW definitely tells the guy what sort of players he thinks he needs.

The main reason that I see for the Bills not making the playoffs is that because we're in the AFCE we have arguably the toughest schedule in the NFL. In almost any other division in the NFL, each team in the AFCE would be expected to finish at least second. This makes the wild card very difficult for one of us to obtain so we're going to have to win a division with 3 other teams that can all be considered to have solid playoff aspirations.

Ingtar33
05-19-2003, 08:34 PM
although in the spirit of this post I can come up with three reasons why the Bills wouldn't make the postseason...

The...
NE Pats
MIA 'Fins
NY Jets

All three teams finished above us, and while we did the most to improve our team (seeing as we had the most that needed to improve) we also had the farthest to catch up. Furthermore, say what you will about Seau, Harrison, Knight, and Colvin, 3 Pro-Bowlers and 1 HOF was just added to our division before June 1st.

If we don't make the playoff it wouldn't be TD's fault but the fact we're in the toughest division in football.

Ingtar33
05-19-2003, 08:35 PM
LOL... HR it looks like we're on the same page there

TacklingDummy
05-19-2003, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Ingtar33

This Drew nonsense is getting out of hand... he's on pace to challenge Dan Marino's career passing numbers (actually he's on pace for ending up within 20yards of Dan's numbers... over a similar 17year career)... furthermore he'd actually retire younger than Dan if he chose to end his career there. (he is also within shot of Dan's record TD pace). I only bring this up because you can’t be on these paces 10 years into an NFL career if you fold every time you face a top 15 defense…

I bet Dan would trade a few of his records for a Ring. Stats. are great to have, a ring is what matters.

Dan may not have had a running game during his career but he did have some good Defenses to play with.

Billz_fan
05-19-2003, 10:10 PM
It doesn't matter what any of us think. What transpires during the season is what will matter.

The Bills have come a long way to improve the team. If you don't believe that then you definatly don't think they will make the playoffs :D

The speculation we are using now does not include injuries or any of the other intangibles that take place during the season.

Personally i think this team makes the playoffs but bows out in the 1st or 2nd round. Im not sure GW is the guy to lead this team to the promised land. Unfortunatly if he makes the playoffs which as I said I think he will. I feel his job is solidified for a few more seasons :/

It's kind of a catch 22 :(

If the Bills make the Playoffs GW keeps his job and we are trapped in the parody of the leauge. If we don't make the playoffs GW gets fired but we are deeply diasapointed at the 2003 season. We are however once again looking forward to the future with a new staff.

TigerJ
05-19-2003, 10:17 PM
I don't think the turnover on GW's staff has been 100%. I know the Bills dumped the OC, Shepard, after his first season and replaced him with Gilbride. After last season, John Levra (Dline) retired, replaced by Tim Krumrie and Ronnie Vinklarek was canned as Oline coach, replaced by Pat Ruel. Hasn't the DB coach been with the Bills from GWs start? How about Danny Smith, special teams?

I think the upgrades that have been made to the coaching staff, particularly on the oline could pay off very well for the Bills. Vinklarek was the last incompetent coach on the Bills after Shepard left. Levra was good technically, but Krumrie has technique and the intensity that may keep the fire lit under Sam Adams and 3rd year player, Ron Edwards.

The notion of Bledsoe not being adjusted to the new players on offence in September is just plain silly. Bledsoe joined the team in time for the minicamps last year, learned a whole offensive system and got acquainted (in a football sense) with every player on the offence in time for the season. When the offence started last season, they played like a house afire. Centers and Remiersma were both relatively underutilized last year. Reed, who looks like Bledsoe's #2 this year is well acquainted with Bledsoe and vice versa. The same is true with Moore, who got quite a few reps last year. I admit that the loss of Peerless Price does change a little the way the offence operates, but there is fare less for DB to get used to this year than last.

Buffalo was two wins away from the playoffs last year. I think the improvements Buffalo made are more significant than anything the rest of the AFC East has done. Will it be enough? No one knows for certain. I think Miami's biggest improvement could be having Fiedler for a whole season, not guaranteed of course. Not that Fiedler is a great QB, but the Fins really had a melt down with Ray Lucas. Buffalo can't count on that happening this season.

As I've said elsewhere, I think the first game of the season is going to be a huge bellweather for the season. Talent wise, I think Buffalo has what it needs to beat NE. The question is, can Buffalo cope with the emotional and mental obstacle that Bill Bellichik seems to represent? If Buffalo can beat NE, I don't see the Jets as that difficult. I think the Jets went backwards this offseason, Dwayne Robertson not withstanding.

TigerJ
05-19-2003, 10:20 PM
Oh yeah, Les Steckel replaced the running backs coach, who left for a college job. The QB coach also left, his duties covered by Gilbride.

WCoastFin
05-20-2003, 01:06 AM
1) Gregg Williams
2) Jerry Gray
3) Still no quality DE
6) Can't beat the Jets
9) Will Moulds be able to get open without Peerless or will Peerless replacement be able to fill his shoes?

Great post! :bf1: I agree, although #8 should be the #1 reason....then bump all the reasons one down after that and you should be ok with this assesment....

Post rating :10::10::10:

Earthquake Enyart
05-20-2003, 07:56 AM
First, you guys have no faith in GW. So basically your calling TD an idiot for sticking with him. GW is a defensive mastermind learning the ropes as a head coach and ofcourse TD knows this. By the end of the year you all will be on his knob.

Second, if your worried about Moulds you should be shot! We lose a decent receiver to compliment him and all of sudden Moulds isn't as good anymore? How we forget so quickly. I remember when fans said it didn't matter if we had a second receiver because Moulds was so dominant. ESPN rated him the #1 receiver in the league. So show him respect by not worrying about him.

Third, start puckering up because everybody will be on Reed when this season ends too.

Fourth, there are so many things wrong with the beginning of this thread, I think I'm going to stop here.

This is good stuff. :snicker:

Welcome aboard.

Whoever compared GW to Jimmy Johnson, you should be ashamed of yourself.

HenryRules
05-20-2003, 08:02 AM
EE, I mentioned Jimmy Johnson, so you may think that I was the one comparing the two of them.

Actually, if you re-read the post, you'll notice that I compared their records, not anything else. Personally, I'd love it if our current rebuilding is as successful as their rebuilding was, and I was saying that so far we're not far off their pace. 2 rings in the future would be great.

TypicalBill
05-20-2003, 08:22 AM
The only problem is they didn't have the "salary cap" thing at that time, which gave teams more time and a better chance of building a complete team.

justasportsfan
05-20-2003, 09:57 AM
If...and that's a big IF....the Bills don't make the playoffs this year, everybody deserves to be fired.

Except the Janitor. :viking:

justasportsfan
05-20-2003, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Ingtar33
although in the spirit of this post I can come up with three reasons why the Bills wouldn't make the postseason...

The...
NE Pats
MIA 'Fins
NY Jets

If we don't make the playoff it wouldn't be TD's fault but the fact we're in the toughest division in football.

This could also be argued as a reason why the bills "will make" the playoffs, don't you think?

BillsNYC
05-20-2003, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by justasportsfan

This could also be argued as a reason why the bills "will make" the playoffs, don't you think?

ahhh...glass is half full kinda guy.....:chuckle:

justasportsfan
05-20-2003, 10:20 AM
No one is going to be blowing anyone in the division standings and this time we just might be one game ahead of the rest :D

WG
05-21-2003, 12:37 PM
1) Gregg Williams
2) Jerry Gray
3) Still no quality DE
6) Can't beat the Jets

Hey TD, how's it goin'!!! Great to see/hear from you again!

I agree w/ you that most of those are issues, but they won't prohibit us from "making" the playoffs.

1. GW may be fine. He's done OK last year w/ what he had and the year before he had effectively zilch, so the jury's out on him although I agree this is the year that he gets evaluated just like many players.

2. JG has already been relegated to a backup status even though the team won't formally admit it. Besides, LeBeau, whom everyone else has this tremendous confidence in except for me, sits behind him ready to "take the helm." JG did very well last year after the season went on and w/ absolutely no DL-men of starting caliber other than PW and AS, no complete starting LB crew, and issues w/ young safeties and first-year starters. Again, this is his year as well if he even gets a fair shake w/ LeBeau ready and perhaps already having taken his spot.

3. Agreed. We still have no quality DE and it looks more and more as if Jones is having excuses launched for him and why he won't start. Kelsay, I've said it before and I'll say it again, for those who thought he was a potential first rounder, won't start nor will he be a factor and many will be highly disappointed. I also see a hole here but wait for 6/1 cuts. I'm thinkin' this might be the one spot where TD may make a big move.

4. Time won't be nearly as much of an issue w/ 6-8 of the same starters on D and 9+ of the same on O (incldg. all key positions) and #1 guys. Plus, most of those who will start have either a ton of experience or played backup w/ us last year. Not an issue for this team.

5. Could be an issue w/ Gilbride at the helm who I'm surprised you didnt' mention in your list, especially since it was largely b/c our O didn't perform that we couldn't beat them. But we'll know after week 1 and won't again address the issue until the very last week of the season. It was the ineffectiveness and errors of the O that created problems for the D v. the Pats, not the other way around.

6. These are Drew's problems and issues, not the team's. If we run Henry the way we should, we should dust the Jets!

7. Even if Henry lays down 8-10 this season, if he runs the way we expect him to, Drew's 18 TOs will be far more of an issues just like they were last year. Henry's FUMs won't be nearly the issue that they were last year.

8. I couldn't agree more! It will not, should not, prevent us from making the playoffs, but I agree that it may very well cost us in the playoffs! We have too much talent around Drew for one player to screw it up that badly. But in the playoffs where opponents will have talent near ours will be a different story. He may very well be the reason why we lose a playoff game.

9. This is ridiculous! Reed is fine and w/ the additional emphasis on the running game, if in fact it actually happens, this won't even be a factor. Most teams don't even have Moulds/Henry and a solid OL let alone all three. Reed played outstandingly in limited action as a rookie and will easily improve on that. There is absolutely nothing to indicate otherwise. I'm far more concerned w/ WR depth.

10. I agree here. We cannot expect to make it through the season w/ as few injuries on O as we had last year. We have ZERO depth at WR, OL (other than Price), TE. OL being the direst. But if Reed or Moulds goes down, it could be very costly. We need to sign Conaty and even one more OL w/ experience or we may be hurtin', especially w/ cigarstore indian brickfeet Bledsoe back there.

Again, some of these may be addressed by June 1st cuts.

As to the rest, I cannot fathom us not making the playoffs. I think it will be testimony enough if we can't win the division. I don't see any of these things preventing us from making the playoffs, but I can see items 3, 5, 8, and 10 preventing us from advancing in them.

TacklingDummy
05-21-2003, 08:31 PM
Great Men think alike.

TigerJ
05-21-2003, 08:52 PM
Regarding GW, I know he's not always been the sharpest sideline coach in the league. That could cost us bigtime at some point. What we don't know is whether or not he can get any better in this aspect of his coaching.

I think he is among the better coaches in the NFL in motivating his team and getting them to play hard no matter what the circumstances. While he was guilty at first of a little nepotism, (picking friends for coaching positions they weren't qualified to fill - Ronnie Vinklarek) he's always been meticulous in his work, and I think a pretty smart coach. I also think he has shown the capacity to learn from his mistakes.

TigerJ
05-21-2003, 09:08 PM
Wys, I've not been hearing the Bills make excuses for Marcus Jones. Do you have any links or quotations you could give us? If there are "issues," I'd like to find out about them.