• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pinkerton Security
    Pinkerton's son
    • Feb 2006

Poz is an Ultimate Building Block

Football Outsiders looks at five players who could impact the AFC in 2009, including a surprise cornerback on the Texans.

Paul Posluszny, LB, Buffalo Bills
    Another middle linebacker, Posluszny would likely already be one of the AFC East's Ultimate Building Blocks had he not fractured his forearm three games into the 2007 season. In what effectively served as his rookie year in 2008, Posluszny showed signs of becoming an excellent middle linebacker. He made 14.7 percent of his team's plays on the ground, eighth among 4-3 middle linebackers; furthermore, he made tackles in important places. He had a stop rate of 54 percent, meaning that 63 of his 116 plays prevented the opposition from achieving a "successful" outcome on the play (defined here as gaining 40 percent of the needed yardage for a first down on first down, 60 percent on second down, or 100 percent on third or fourth down); that figure was sixth among 4-3 middle linebackers.

He has still some work to go as a pass defender and as a pass-rusher, but the Bills count on him primarily to be an elite run-stopper at linebacker. If he's not quite there yet, he very well may be after this season.
    Last edited by Pinkerton Security; 06-13-2009, 10:21 AM.

• yordad
    • Dec 2007

Re: Poz is an Ultimate Building Block

He made 14.7 percent of his team's plays on the ground, eighth among 4-3 middle linebackers; furthermore, he made tackles in important places. He had a stop rate of 54 percent, meaning that 63 of his 116 plays prevented the opposition from achieving a "successful" outcome on the play (defined here as gaining 40 percent of the needed yardage for a first down on first down, 60 percent on second down, or 100 percent on third or fourth down); that figure was sixth among 4-3 middle linebackers.
    IMO, those stats are more telling then the common ones.
    "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• Luisito23
      Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
      • Apr 2003

Nice read, thanks Dog!
      "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
      ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
      ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
      ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• X-Era
        What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by pinkdogg32
        http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insid...ory?id=4248108

Paul Posluszny, LB, Buffalo Bills
        Another middle linebacker, Posluszny would likely already be one of the AFC East's Ultimate Building Blocks had he not fractured his forearm three games into the 2007 season. In what effectively served as his rookie year in 2008, Posluszny showed signs of becoming an excellent middle linebacker. He made 14.7 percent of his team's plays on the ground, eighth among 4-3 middle linebackers; furthermore, he made tackles in important places. He had a stop rate of 54 percent, meaning that 63 of his 116 plays prevented the opposition from achieving a "successful" outcome on the play (defined here as gaining 40 percent of the needed yardage for a first down on first down, 60 percent on second down, or 100 percent on third or fourth down); that figure was sixth among 4-3 middle linebackers.

He has still some work to go as a pass defender and as a pass-rusher, but the Bills count on him primarily to be an elite run-stopper at linebacker. If he's not quite there yet, he very well may be after this season.
        Hes got loads of potential. I would so have loved to see us get a bigtime OLB to complement him and Mitchell. It would have been a special group.

Ill take Brandon Spikes in the 1st in the 2010 draft.

He runs as a ILB in a 5-2 scheme but with only 2 LB'ers he certainly can cover enough ground to do the job at OLB. Hes one of my favorite players in all of 2010. I think he may end up being a top 10 pick.

Comment

• psubills62
          Legendary Zoner
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by EdwardsEra
          Hes got loads of potential. I would so have loved to see us get a bigtime OLB to complement him and Mitchell. It would have been a special group.

Ill take Brandon Spikes in the 1st in the 2010 draft.

He runs as a ILB in a 5-2 scheme but with only 2 LB'ers he certainly can cover enough ground to do the job at OLB. Hes one of my favorite players in all of 2010. I think he may end up being a top 10 pick.
          Spikes would be pretty awesome. I wouldn't be surprised if the ideal situation there is to move Poz outside and have Spikes inside, although Poz would have more experience at that point.

I gotta go homer though, because if Navorro Bowman decides to go pro after this coming season, I would LOVE to have him. It's too bad he's had some character issues, because he's a first-round talent. The kid knows how to tackle and does everything pretty well (pass coverage, pass rush, get off blocks, wraps up in open space, etc.).
          "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
          - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
            Legendary Zoner
            • May 2009

the polish prince is going to be beastly this year

Comment

• BillsHound
              • May 2009

I thought this was an interesting read. It's by a guy who used to work for the Pats and who is going to be covering the Bills for CBSSports.com. He says in this article that Belichick didn't even have Poz rated on his draft board. I guess teams don't view players the same.

"I worked for the New England Patriots the year Posluszny was drafted and it’s interesting to note how different teams viewed him coming out of Penn State.

I know for a fact that Bill Belichick and the Patriots had Posluszny rated as a priority free agent, which is to say he wasn’t even on New England’s draft board.

Granted, the Patriots and Bills run different defensive schemes and aren’t looking for the same kind of players to inject into their systems, but it’s intriguing to see how one player can be valued so differently by two NFL scouting departments.

Posluszny was off to a strong rookie campaign before he broke his forearm against those very same Patriots in the third game of the year, ending his season. I was in the Bills' locker room after that game and Posluszny was visibly upset over his injury.

You could see he was a leader even as a rookie and his teammates rallied around him, inspired by his fiery reaction to the injury.

One defensive player said “that kid has a lot of heart,” responding to Posluszny's declaration that he would be on the field the following week, even with a broken forearm."
              Last edited by BillsHound; 06-14-2009, 12:57 AM.

Comment

• SeatownBillsFan21
                • Mar 2004

I do like Poz but i think were setting ourselves up for a huge let down to think he will some day be a Pro Bowl caliber LB in this league.

Comment

• Mike
                  • Jan 2009

Agreed
                  Please Make Sense

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                    Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

I love Poz. He's Urlacher in the making. I'm sure of it.

Comment

• casdhf
                      • Jul 2002

He'll be the leader of this defense for 10 years. Pro Bowls or not, I think that it will be worth what we gave up to select him.
                      Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
                      cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by SeatownBillsFan21
                        I do like Poz but i think were setting ourselves up for a huge let down to think he will some day be a Pro Bowl caliber LB in this league.
                        After reading those stats why would you make this comment?

Comment

• The Jokeman
                          • Dec 2003

I clicked on the link to the article and was saddened to learn the Bills only have 1 player listed about the division top 10 building blocks. What made matters worse is it was for Marshawn Lynch who's not even going to play a full season this year. In terms of Poz, they stats sound impressive but will admit I haven't warmed up to him as much as everyone else as seen him struggle in coverage and don't recall many game breaking plays. Time will tell but in all honesty looking back think a better plan of attack would have been to stay put where we were in the draft and not traded up for him.

Comment

• yordad
                            • Dec 2007

Who else was on the list?
                            "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• SeatownBillsFan21
                              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
                              After reading those stats why would you make this comment?
                              Well for one he plays outta position.And for another Perry Fewell is our DC.

Comment

Working...
                              X