PDA

View Full Version : Peters vs Boldin

Mike
06-14-2009, 05:43 AM
I wanted to mention something that I think most on this board misperceive. I have read many different treads that refer to a player in question [ no matter who, weather it is Peters, or Boldin, or Chad Johnson, or Lance Briggs etc..] as malcontent, unhappy, uncomprimisong, greedy etc...

I wanted to set the air once and for all: THESE PLAYERS ARE ACTING. This is the pattern I have noticed:

1. They play the role as being unhappy w/contract issues, they play their part in an effort to get more money. In this role they all usually say the same things, "the team and I are beyond repair, there is no way i will play for this team again, the relationships is finished/over, we do not communicate, I feel disrespected, etc..."

2.Then they demand a trade (Brigs, Peters, Boldin, Law, Chad Johnson, etc...)

3. They make a threat that they will no longer play for their team and hold out.

4. If 3 does not work, they return to camp or during season and threaten that they will be a disruptive force (TO, Chad Johnson).

If none of these strategies work, they play out the remainder of their contract, usually more impassioned in order to lure that big contract. Ironically, they usually resign, or stay with their current team -the team they swore they would never play for or sign with. If asked about their former comments (Lance Brings) they say that things are better.

Now what about the Teams? Well the Pats stayed firm with Ty Law and won, he played, even though he went through all 4 Stages; Chicago ended up resigning Briggs eventhough he swore he would never play for them again; Chad Johnson is still in Cinci and was not the disruptive force he threatened to be;

Well you may ask, what about Boldin? Well, if you did not hear, Boldin -after trying all 4 steps- recently fired his agent, now he is trying to repair the relationship with his team.

So, lets try to keep things straith. We can not accuse Peters, of this or that, he was playing his role. He did what he could to earn more money, after all NFL is a business and the very same teams that the players play for, year after year, get cut when they loose value -even the great ones (Jerry Rice, SF). In the NFL, there are no pitty contracts, or handouts and we should not expect the players to give handout either (in the form of not asking for market value). In summery, please refrain from labeling the player, he is only acting out a Role.

PS: on another note, why are we so AFRAID of ever admitting that the BILLS make mistakes? WHY?

Luisito23
06-14-2009, 06:02 AM
PS: on another note, why are we so AFRAID of ever admitting that the BILLS make mistakes? WHY?

If there is one thing that the Bills do best is they're great at making mistakes, although the Peters situation I think was handled accordingly, plus that guy is overrated to begin with, and not worth the trouble, and cancer that he was causing this team.

mayotm
06-14-2009, 08:03 AM
Law, Briggs and Johnson weren't the same players after they started *****in' about their contracts. Boldin is a good player, but frequently injured. Plus, he's not the #1 receiver on his team, so can't get #1 receiver money from the Cards. He's obviously good enough to be a #1 elsewhere, but it doesn't matter since the he's under contract. We'll have to wait and see if the Eagles get the Peters from last year or two years ago before knowing who got the better of the deal.

Goobylal
06-14-2009, 10:05 AM
The difference between those other guys and Peters is that they all showed-up for at least training camp. I for one hope Peters is a dismal failure for the Eagles.

FlyingDutchman
06-14-2009, 10:39 AM
Those guys also had more than 1 good year and didnt demand the highest pay at their position after an average at best, year.

ServoBillieves
06-14-2009, 02:55 PM
The difference between those other guys and Peters is that they all showed-up for at least training camp. I for one hope Peters is a dismal failure for the Eagles.

I'm not one to wish harm upon others or to pray for failure (unless it's the Patriots) but Peters doesn't deserve his contract or to have been given what he wanted. We'll see what happens...

Akhippo
06-14-2009, 04:09 PM
boldin *****ed and moaned. However, he busted his tail, got his face broken and came back SOONER than expected and didnt mail it in.

Peters *****ed and moaned. Held out through camp, played bad, then came up with a mystery injury to finish his season.

Boldin on my team hands down.

Mike
06-14-2009, 04:12 PM
For a Pro Bowl LT, Peters new contract is very reasonable. Wanting to be the highest paid was all Posturing. In sales, if you really want to be paid a certain amount, lets say 10mil, you purposely ask for 12, or 13mil -this way when the # get negotiated down by your team (no FA, so no competition among teams) you get the 10mil you wanted. If you ask for 10mil out of the gate, chances are you will get a lesser offer. So no SHI* he says he wants to be the highest paid LT in the game. LOOK at his contract NOW, is he the highest paid LT in the game, NO.

I recall after his contact extension with the Eagles many of the fans on these boards were surprised at how low Peter's contract was saying something to the tune that we can have afforded that and it was not some extreem #.

Last comment: We did not have to do anything! If we did what the Bears, Pats, Cinci, etc... we could still have Peters and be playing him the 4mil a year he signed for [if cinci and the cards can pull it off why cant we?] and as a result have a Much Better O-Line. We did not have to trade him, or pay him and after holding out last off season he himself said he would not do that again.

The reason I bring this point up is so simple. I remember, before Peters, when we had Gandy etc... how many of us complained and talked about how desperately we needed a good LT. If only we had one, our offense would be better etc... We finnaly got one, only to give him away.

Now lets talk about the money. I think this team is one of the cheapest in sports. We are up there with the Pirates and the Royals. For the most part, the majority of their solutions involve getting second tier free agents like TE Royal, advertising him to be a diamond in the rough and deluding many Bills fans until its too late. We have the money to Keep, and Attract Higher Dollar Free Agents so why don't we? Why are we never in the sweepstakes for the top players? Lastly, I hear, over and over, we can't afford this player of that player etc... Why Not? How can teams like the Pats and Colts afford multiple Superstars and we can not afford even one? Why is That?

feldspar
06-14-2009, 04:29 PM

Couldn't agree any more.

Goobylal
06-14-2009, 05:38 PM
I'm not one to wish harm upon others or to pray for failure (unless it's the Patriots) but Peters doesn't deserve his contract or to have been given what he wanted. We'll see what happens...
I don't want to wish injury, but if it happens, I won't shed a tear. I just want him to play poorly and show that the Bills were correct in dealing him.

Throne Logic
06-14-2009, 09:22 PM
I recall after his contact extension with the Eagles many of the fans on these boards were surprised at how low Peter's contract was saying something to the tune that we can have afforded that and it was not some extreem #.

Last comment: We did not have to do anything! If we did what the Bears, Pats, Cinci, etc... we could still have Peters and be playing him the 4mil a year he signed for [if cinci and the cards can pull it off why cant we?] and as a result have a Much Better O-Line. We did not have to trade him, or pay him and after holding out last off season he himself said he would not do that again.

Peter's rejected the Bills offer, making it clear he did not want to be in Buffalo.

If we we did what the Bears, Pats, and Cinci did, we'd have what we had last year. Crap. He'd have held out until September, just like last year. Not only would he waste half the season trying to shake the rust off, the players who do show up and work all Summer would be at a disadvantage for having to spend valuable practice/pre-season time learning how to fill in the void Peter's would have left.

Up until last year, he was one of my all-time favorite stories. From undrafted over 300 lb TE to starting LT. Now, with what he pulled last Summer, I don't care that he's gone. The risk/reward became far too lopsided with this guy. He's the classic "me" player. He may play well out of the gate for Philly, but what I'm really watching is what happens toward the end of the season and into the next few years. Players with his attitude tend to become apathetic and lazy after they get the big contract. I could be wrong, but like I said, I'm playing the odds.

Buckets
06-15-2009, 07:05 AM
Peters was undrafted and had received a new contract recently. I believe the situation was not the same. Had he come to camp, and been patient he would have gotten his money with the Bills.

colin
06-15-2009, 08:09 AM
boldin got knocked the f out and his face broken and came back quickly to help his team make it to the super bowl. peters missed a training camp and then had a season where he let up double digit sacks.

boldin wants money for his outstanding talent, preparation, heart, and feel for the game. peters wants money for the one good season he had, as he has none of the other qualities and is a lazy quitter.

Mike
06-16-2009, 07:10 AM
I live in AZ, so I can tell you the fans perception of Boldin and Peters is not all that different. Both players have multiple years left on recently signed contracts, BOTH. Both wanted to be highest paid at their position. Both threated a holdout, and not playing etc....

The difference is not so much the players or what they did, but in how the organization handled the conflict. The Cards came out and said NO! The Bills caved in under the pressure and gave away a Pro Bowl LT. Cards were offered more for Boldin than Bills were offered for Peters which is odd considering that LT is a far more coveted position in the NFL than WR. Moreover, Boldin has an extensive injury history, you can safely assume he will miss at least 2 games per season with potential for more.

FlyingDutchman
06-16-2009, 07:14 AM
I lived in Rochester and I can tell you nobody compares the two. How did the bills cave under pressure? Maybe more was offered for Boldin bc he had more than 1 good year at his position, and then didnt suck the next.

Mike
06-16-2009, 07:22 AM
Peter's rejected the Bills offer, making it clear he did not want to be in Buffalo.
Maybe Buffalo's offer was too Low. Would you take

If we we did what the Bears, Pats, and Cinci did, we'd have what we had last year. Crap.
You are ASSUMING this to Justify the Bill's decision. You have no way of knowing what he would have done or not done. You probably assume that on the o-line was gained back in the draft. Ironically, if Peters has a better season in Phili than our L.Walker does in Buffalo you will make another false argument stating that they play on different lines and ours has roolkies. Which is what common sense says, Buffalo o-line will be drastically worse that it was last season, and the Peters situation weakened it. In the end, we have an even weaker o-line.[/QUOTE]

He'd have held out until September, just like last year. Not only would he waste half the season trying to shake the rust off, the players who do show up and work all Summer would be at a disadvantage for having to spend valuable practice/pre-season time learning how to fill in the void Peter's would have left.
This is totally inaccurate. Peters himself said that he would not hold out again and felt that holding out really hurt him. Him holding out was not on the table!

He's the classic "me" player. He may play well out of the gate for Philly, but what I'm really watching is what happens toward the end of the season and into the next few years. Players with his attitude tend to become apathetic and lazy after they get the big contract. I could be wrong, but like I said, I'm playing the odds.
I do agree here. He does come across as "me" player. On the same token, this points to a bigger problem: non guaranteed NFL contracts. This problem has been ongoing for a number of years now, with multiple players threatening holdouts etc... for bigger paydays. The NFL and the NFLPA should figure out a system that works out fairly for everyone involved, both players and owners.

FlyingDutchman
06-16-2009, 07:22 AM
just dont get the caving thing. They said screw off last year. Then this year, they offered him more, and when he wasnt budging, they told him to piss off again by trading him. Wouldnt caving be if they just gave him whatever he wanted?

Mike
06-16-2009, 07:31 AM
I lived in Rochester and I can tell you nobody compares the two. How did the bills cave under pressure? Maybe more was offered for Boldin bc he had more than 1 good year at his position, and then didnt suck the next.

Bills caved into Peter's trade demands. His position was Pay me or Trade Me.

As for Boldin, the Cards offered him ..... nothing!!! They flat out said, we are not going to pay you this year. Boldin *****ed and moaned, and said he would never play for Cards and be a distruptive force ...etc... [he followed all for steps] when nothing worked, Boldin, FIRED his Agent and appoligized to his teamates for the Drama!!! Cards WIN, they keep good player at great price. They Did it the right way, not over paying or giving away a Pro Bowl talent.

As for the BIlls, they too could have stood pat. They held all of the cards, and Peters was not even threatening a holdout. Peters even said he would not hold out again, he just wanted more money. So what did the Bills do? They traded him well below market value. Chances of finding such a talent with a late 1st rounder are next to nill.

All I am saying is that the Bills could have kept him, and not paid him this year and as a result our 0-line would have been better, much better!

FlyingDutchman
06-16-2009, 07:35 AM
[quote=Mike]Bills caved into Peter's trade demands. His position was Pay me or Trade Me.
[quote]

isnt that a damned if you do damned if you dont scenerio? how is that caving? I never heard of demands to be traded. Where did that come from?

Bulldog
06-16-2009, 07:53 AM

As for Boldin, the Cards offered him ..... nothing!!! They flat out said, we are not going to pay you this year. Boldin *****ed and moaned, and said he would never play for Cards and be a distruptive force ...etc... [he followed all for steps] when nothing worked, Boldin, FIRED his Agent and appoligized to his teamates for the Drama!!! Cards WIN, they keep good player at great price. They Did it the right way, not over paying or giving away a Pro Bowl talent.

As for the BIlls, they too could have stood pat. They held all of the cards, and Peters was not even threatening a holdout. Peters even said he would not hold out again, he just wanted more money. So what did the Bills do? They traded him well below market value. Chances of finding such a talent with a late 1st rounder are next to nill.

All I am saying is that the Bills could have kept him, and not paid him this year and as a result our 0-line would have been better, much better!

The Bills told Peters to screw off last year and all they got in return was a sloppy LT who surrendered double digit sacks. What would make you think the results would be any different this time around? So, rather than dealing with Peters and his holdout, the Bills simply cut bait.

One thing was clear throughout all of this. The Bills weren't willing to make Peters the highest paid LT in the game, and IMO, rightfully so. The guy had one really good year at LT, and suddenly he wants to be the highest paid player at his position even though he just signed an extension. I for one hope he fails miserably in Philly.

psubills62
06-16-2009, 08:07 AM

The difference is still that Peters played like crap after being a baby, but Boldin played great after all his complaining.

The Cardinals could afford to take a strong stand because it didn't affect them as much with Boldin working hard and performing. Even if he is faking an injury this year, that's what, the third year he's wanted a contract? He did what he was supposed to the previous years. Peters pulled that kind of crap the first year he wanted a new contract, and then played like junk when he came back. Boldin helped his team to the Super Bowl.

Just because Arizona fans see Boldin similarly to how Buffalo fans saw Peters doesn't mean the situations are the same.