ultimate building blocks AFC East Lynch #1 RB....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sauce
    • Dec 2008

ultimate building blocks AFC East Lynch #1 RB....

Ultimate Building Blocks: AFC East
    June 12, 2009 12:15 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Graham ESPN.com asked each of its bloggers to construct a team to win the Super Bowl for the next three seasons using players only from within the division.
    We were given 10 selections before, presumably, being forced to fill out the rest of our roster with open tryouts like the one that turned up Vince Papale for the Philadelphia Eagles.
    Insider: Building Blocks
    Who might crack the list of Ultimate Building Blocks next season? Let's examine. Football Outsiders

NFC: N | S | E | W
    AFC: N | S | E | W

Who are top 10 Ultimate Building Blocks in the entire league? Scouts Inc.
    1. Tom Brady, QB, Patriots. If you're looking for someone to lead you to the Super Bowl, the top pick has to be Brady -- not only in the AFC East, but also the entire league. The two-time Super Bowl MVP has a lot of great years left in him. He will turn 32 in August.
    2. Darrelle Revis, CB, Jets. In his second pro season he emerged as one of the NFL's top cover corners. He intercepted five passes and went to the Pro Bowl. He'll turn 24 right before training camp.
    3. Jake Long, LT, Dolphins. The No. 1 overall draft pick in 2008 had an impeccable season at one of the game's most important positions. Long showed no weaknesses in run or pass blocking, and was good enough to get sent to the Pro Bowl as an alternate.
    Evan Pinkus/Getty Images
    Tom Brady is back after injuring his knee in the 2008 season opener.
    4. Randy Moss, WR, Patriots. He's 32 years old, but we're gunning to be a Super Bowl team over the next three years. Moss has enough elite football left in him for that task, and we don't want to break up one of the game's most lethal passing combinations.
    5. Vince Wilfork, NT, Patriots. Like three-quarters of the division, we'll stick with a 3-4 defense. Wilfork is an elite nose tackle and just 27 years old.
    6. Nick Mangold, C, Jets. At 25 years old, he is establishing himself as one of the best. He would be a keystone on any offensive line. He already has been to a Pro Bowl.
    7. Marshawn Lynch, RB, Bills. We selected Lynch over Dolphins catalyst Ronnie Brown, but Lynch is four years younger and runs much harder. Off-field problems are a concern, but based purely on running ability, the 23-year-old Lynch is entering the prime period of his career.
    8. Richard Seymour, DE, Patriots. He's a five-time Pro Bowler, led the Patriots last year with eight sacks and doesn't turn 30 until October. What's not to like?
    9. Calvin Pace, OLB, Jets. We need a speed-rusher for our 3-4 defense, and Pace offers the best combination of skill and youth. He led the AFC East in tackles for losses last year.
    10. Vernon Carey, RT, Dolphins. There were quite a few players left to consider, but we went with the best right tackle in the division to give Brady a formidable offensive line. Carey will turn 28 in training camp.
    A few notes:
    • This is not a list of the 10 best players in the division. We were assembling a team and needed to distribute talent among all positions. Once I selected Moss, there wasn't enough room to consider Lee Evans or Wes Welker, too. Once I took a nose tackle, Kris Jenkins would have been redundant.
    • As you can tell by my explanations, age played a major role. This team has to be good for the next three years. That ruled out big names such as Jason Taylor and Terrell Owens. It's also why I went with Long over Matt Light and Pace over Joey Porter.
    • Jerod Mayo almost made the cut. He's going to be a star, but inside linebackers are among the easier players to find. I rated pass-rushing outside linebacker and right tackle to be more valuable positions.
    • There are some talented, young safeties and guards in the AFC East, yet none good enough to supplant the players on this list.
    • I gave strong consideration to including Leon Washington because he's three threats in one: Running back, receiver and kick returner. Players such as him, however, are luxuries, not building blocks.

• sauce
    • Dec 2008

Re: ultimate building blocks AFC East Lynch #1 RB....

Comment

• yordad
      • Dec 2007

I thought Poz was on there....

"Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• LtFinFan66
        • Mar 2005

hmmm....2 Dolphin O-linemen yet most on here bash their o-line constantly

Comment

• Mike
          • Jan 2009

hmmm....2 Dolphin O-linemen yet most on here bash their o-line constantly
          goes to show how much those really know...
          Please Make Sense

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Lynch is the best back in the division- that's pretty clear. But I'll be surprised if we have the best running game in the division with such a shaky OL.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• BleedinGreenNC
              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by OpIv37
              Lynch is the best back in the division- that's pretty clear. But I'll be surprised if we have the best running game in the division with such a shaky OL.
              Numbers say otherwise, Jones has that title of best back in the AFC until someone else takes it.

Comment

• mybills
                81 st zoner
                • Jul 2002

This is not a list of the 10 best players in the division. We were assembling a team and needed to distribute talent among all positions. Once I selected Moss, there wasn't enough room to consider Lee Evans or Wes Welker, too.

At least he got mentioned.
                I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by mybills
                  This is not a list of the 10 best players in the division. We were assembling a team and needed to distribute talent among all positions. Once I selected Moss, there wasn't enough room to consider Lee Evans or Wes Welker, too.

At least he got mentioned.
                  Lee's not even the best WR on the team right now, let alone the division.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by BleedinGreenNC
                    Numbers say otherwise, Jones has that title of best back in the AFC until someone else takes it.
                    yeah well keep in mind that Jones was running behind D'Brick, Faneca and Mangold. Lynch was running behind Fowler/Preston, Dockery and an out of shape Peters. Numbers don't tell the whole story.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• BleedinGreenNC
                      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by OpIv37
                      yeah well keep in mind that Jones was running behind D'Brick, Faneca and Mangold. Lynch was running behind Fowler/Preston, Dockery and an out of shape Peters. Numbers don't tell the whole story.
                      I will give you that, but IMO, i would pick Brown of the Dophins to put on my team if i had to take from each team, my second choice would be Leon.

Comment

• Bulldog
                        Top Dog
                        • Jan 2003

I will give you that, but IMO, i would pick Brown of the Dophins to put on my team if i had to take from each team, my second choice would be Leon.
                        Leon? Well, at least you're not a homer. LOL
                        I only drink when I'm alone or with others.

Comment

• yordad
                          • Dec 2007

I think it is Lynch without question. With an elite O-line, he is a 2000 yarder. With a crappy line he is a 1200er
                          "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

depends what kind of offense you want to run. Lynch is a great combination of speed and power, but he doesn't have the shiftiness or breakaway speed of brown.

I'm not sure if I'd put Leon Washington up there with Lynch and Brown, but the guy can definitely play. I think the Jets underutilize him and I hate it when the Bills have to play against him. He's one of those guys that you don't really expect to be a problem going into the game, but then he always manages to frustrate the hell out of his opponents.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• TheMan08
                              Knocks only the living.
                              • Oct 2008

I think Fred Jackson is a better overall RB than Leon Washington due to his receiving versatility. But you gotta credit Leon with his return skill versatility also.

Comment

Working...
                              X