PDA

View Full Version : Sabres/Bruins '93 Playoff Series on NHLN now

OpIv37
06-16-2009, 08:15 PM
holy ****, I forgot how good Mogilny was. The guy had like 6 breakaways and scored on two of them in one game. He made Ray Borque look foolish twice.

BAM
06-16-2009, 08:20 PM
Mogilny was my boy back in the early NHL Sega Genesis games. #89 baby!

OpIv37
06-16-2009, 08:21 PM
Mogilny was my boy back in the early NHL Sega Genesis games. #89 baby!

I have a Genesis that still works with NHL 94 and 96. It's hooked up upstairs and I still play sometimes.

BAM
06-16-2009, 08:31 PM
Nice! I used to have one but it finally shorted out. I DO still have my Super Nintendo hooked up in the bedroom though!

OpIv37
06-16-2009, 08:33 PM
Nice! I used to have one but it finally shorted out. I DO still have my Super Nintendo hooked up in the bedroom though!

you can download emulators for the computer that will play all the games but it's hard to play on the keyboard.

I never had SNES. After Genesis, I skipped about 3 generations and didn't get a video game system til PS2.

Ebenezer
06-16-2009, 09:05 PM
What a series...one of the best in Sabres history.

Had it not been for major injuries who knows how far that team would have gone. They lost four straight OT games to Montreal (who went on to win the cup) without LaFontaine, Fuhr and Hawerchuk.

chubluv
06-16-2009, 09:18 PM
What a series...one of the best in Sabres history.

Had it not been for major injuries who knows how far that team would have gone. They lost four straight OT games to Montreal (who went on to win the cup) without LaFontaine, Fuhr and Hawerchuk.

Thanks Eb. Iwas talking to my buddy at work about that year and I couldnt remember why we lost to the Habs. I recalled the sweep and all the games going to OT, but I couldnt remember the injuries.

Ebenezer
06-16-2009, 09:25 PM
Thanks Eb. Iwas talking to my buddy at work about that year and I couldnt remember why we lost to the Habs. I recalled the sweep and all the games going to OT, but I couldnt remember the injuries.
The Sabres were basically down to Mogilny and a cast of B-level talent.

OpIv37
06-16-2009, 09:27 PM
Boston=pwnd

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bMgM8BAJarQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bMgM8BAJarQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

man, that was a team on the way up. So much better than now, with this bunch of ****ing jokers stuck in neutral.

Dr. Lecter
06-16-2009, 09:30 PM
Boston=pwnd

man, that was a team on the way up. So much better than now, with this bunch of ****ing jokers stuck in neutral.
I was at the MayDay game, sitting in about the 3rd row of the oranges right above the blueline where May toasted Ray.

But that team did not do much the next few years. So say it was a team on the way up would not be really true. Great memory for sure, but not much happened with that core (LaFontaine, Hawerchuk, Mogilny and Fuhr) It was not until the Peca crew came in that they had any success.

I don't see how they were any better than the mediocrity that exists now. (Except the unknown they had in Hasek) Don't over glamorize the past. If this board had existed back in 94-96 and you were on it, you have been going nuts.

OpIv37
06-17-2009, 07:57 AM
I was at the MayDay game, sitting in about the 3rd row of the oranges right above the blueline where May toasted Ray.

But that team did not do much the next few years. So say it was a team on the way up would not be really true. Great memory for sure, but not much happened with that core (LaFontaine, Hawerchuk, Mogilny and Fuhr) It was not until the Peca crew came in that they had any success.

I don't see how they were any better than the mediocrity that exists now. (Except the unknown they had in Hasek) Don't over glamorize the past. If this board had existed back in 94-96 and you were on it, you have been going nuts.

Think about this.

You're sitting in those stands in '93. You watch that game. The Sabres go on to lose to Montreal, but they also had 3 of their best players injured. So, now you have a team full of young guys that just housed a Boston team that's far superior on paper. Despite the loss to Montreal, how did you feel about that team? Plenty of reason for hope. Now, of course, we know that the team ended up stuck in neutral. But at that time, when that series was over, the future had to look pretty damn promising.

Contrast that to now. The core of this team plus Drury and Briere couldn't win the Cup. Without Drury and Briere, they've failed to even make the playoffs. There are a handful of young guys, but guys like Roy, Pominville, Max, Tallinder, Lydman, Gaustad, Mair, maybe even Vanek have plateaued- they've already reached the top of their potential. I'm not saying all those guys are bad players- most of them aren't- I'm just saying there's little hope for internal improvement at this point and little evidence that the Sabres' FO is interested in wholesale changes.

So, in '93 there was good reason to look forward to the future. Now, there's little reason to think the future is going to be any different than the recent past.

Dr. Lecter
06-17-2009, 08:30 AM
How did the team fare in 1994 and 1995? You are using perception as yoru guide, not actual facts.

And to say there is little hope for internal improvement with guys like Gerbe, Kennedy, Myers, Brennan, Weber and Persson having had, at most, a small bit of NHL experience is silly.

OpIv37
06-17-2009, 08:34 AM
How did the team fare in 1994 and 1995? You are using perception as yoru guide, not actual facts.

And to say there is little hope for internal improvement with guys like Gerbe, Kennedy, Myers, Brennan, Weber and Persson having had, at most, a small bit of NHL experience is silly.

You are using hindsight as your guide, which are facts that were not available after that series in 93. All I'm saying is that after that season in 93, there was a lot more reason for hope than there is now. Granted, it didn't work out, but there was no way of knowing that at the time. It had to feel pretty good to be a Sabres fan in June of 93, much better than it does now.

As far as those guys that you mentioned, are there two guys who are better than Drury and Briere in that bunch? Because if not, we're not winning the Cup anytime soon.

BAM
06-17-2009, 09:00 AM
you can download emulators for the computer that will play all the games but it's hard to play on the keyboard.

Yep! I have emulators for NES and SNES. For NES I have over 2000 games for it! Funny 'cause each game is about 5kb in size.

For a while there a couple years back I was going back through the old Dragon Warrior I-IV series before I started school. May have to break out something during upcoming summer vacation starting this weekend. :xtreme:

OpIv37
06-17-2009, 09:22 AM
Yep! I have emulators for NES and SNES. For NES I have over 2000 games for it! Funny 'cause each game is about 5kb in size.

For a while there a couple years back I was going back through the old Dragon Warrior I-IV series before I started school. May have to break out something during upcoming summer vacation starting this weekend. :xtreme:

I re-played Dragon Warrior 1 on the emulators a couple of times. I never had the other ones for NES. I liked replaying Double Dragon, Super Mario 3 and the first two Zelda games.

It's too tempting to cheat with the save/restore feature though.

SabreEleven
06-17-2009, 09:31 PM
The Sabres were basically down to Mogilny and a cast of B-level talent.

Didn't Mogilny wind up breaking his ankle against the Canadiens that year also?

JD
06-17-2009, 11:03 PM

I too, was at the May Day game.. I just found that out this past year from my dad :roflmao: I was 6 at the time and don't remember much at all besides playing kick the can hockey on the ramps with other kids between intermission

Ebenezer
06-18-2009, 09:24 AM
Didn't Mogilny wind up breaking his ankle against the Canadiens that year also?
Actually, we talked about that at lunch...Lawesome was pretty sure it was Hawerchuck that was healthy and Mogilny who got hurt. Regardless, injuries stopped that team.

BAM
06-18-2009, 09:29 AM
I re-played Dragon Warrior 1 on the emulators a couple of times. I never had the other ones for NES. I liked replaying Double Dragon, Super Mario 3 and the first two Zelda games.

It's too tempting to cheat with the save/restore feature though.

Dragon Warrior I is my favorite RPG ever! Love that one. And you're exactly right. I have the NESTER emulator for NES and it's wayyy too convenient to hit F5 to save, F7 to restore. I try not to do that but the awesome thing is that the function allows you to bypass walking to a church for example in the DW games to save the game!

OpIv37
06-18-2009, 10:03 AM
Dragon Warrior I is my favorite RPG ever! Love that one. And you're exactly right. I have the NESTER emulator for NES and it's wayyy too convenient to hit F5 to save, F7 to restore. I try not to do that but the awesome thing is that the function allows you to bypass walking to a church for example in the DW games to save the game!

yeah it's great to be able to save a game at any point and come back to it later.

Dr. Lecter
06-18-2009, 10:09 AM
I too, was at the May Day game.. I just found that out this past year from my dad :roflmao: I was 6 at the time and don't remember much at all besides playing kick the can hockey on the ramps with other kids between intermission

So you were the little POS brat that was in my way.

Rob Ray was out of that game and playoffs too. I saw him after the game at Garcia's with his knee in a brace. He had recently had surgery.

SabreEleven
06-19-2009, 02:26 AM
THey are showing it again on NHLN...It's great to hear Ted Darling again.

SabreEleven
06-19-2009, 02:36 AM
but who is this idiot that is doing majority of the announcing? Where is Darling or Jennerett?

Dr. Lecter
06-19-2009, 05:45 AM
but who is this idiot that is doing majority of the announcing? Where is Darling or Jennerett?

John Gurtler.

He did TV for a few years.

SabreEleven
06-19-2009, 06:19 AM
Was he the Sabres announcer cause I don't remember him? I always remember Darling did TV and Jennerett did radio for the longest time.

Dr. Lecter
06-19-2009, 06:25 AM
He definitely did TV for a few years after Darling retired and until they did the simulcast.

SabreEleven
06-19-2009, 06:46 AM
He definitely did TV for a few years after Darling retired and until they did the simulcast.

I was already in the military by than...that is why I don't remember him...He sucked especially compared to Darling and Jeannerett..

Ebenezer
06-19-2009, 04:14 PM
Darling was relieved of his duties in '91. Many thought he was having trouble with alcohol. Gurtler was hired to replace him. As it turned out Darling was suffering from Pick's Disease (a type of dementia).