PDA

View Full Version : Opportunity Knocking At Camp

PA Season Ticket Holder
05-19-2003, 03:06 PM
As the 49ers took the field Sunday they found themselves a little lighter at the defensive end position. Dwayne Missouri did not show up for camp as he was expected to do and rookie Andrew Williams broke his hand during team drills. All of that led to more repetitions for younger players and an opportunity to showcase their ability.

One of those players who is hoping his opportunity leads to a job is rookie Duvorn Harris who is the brother of Kwame, the 49ers first round draft choice.

“I think opportunity is important in life. We have a couple guys that we just brought in this weekend, but we had a couple guys today and I looked around and thought that these guys might be on the team for training camp,” said Terry Donahue. “He might make our camp team and then once a guy gets an opportunity in camp, you never know what’s going to happen. I’m very open-minded to giving people opportunities. I’m very open-minded to letting people try out and take a look at them. Who knows what you’ll find?”

While the 49ers are looking to find that diamond in the rough, they are also looking at playing a little more of the 3-4…at least for now.

“We could. If you look at it now without injuries, it looks pretty good. But I think everyone in the country is like that right now,” said Coach Erickson. “There are many reasons, such as linebacker depth and the ability of Julian Peterson to be able to do certain things, which would allow us to consider that. Again, we’ll have that in and we’re looking at it while we’re healthy. We’ll just see what happens when we get into training camp.”

While Erickson and his staff tinker with new defensive fronts, they continue mixing up some of the offensive formations as well.

“We’re moving our fullback a little bit more. We’re two tights and moving him a little bit more. We’re trying to get some involvement, as far as moving people, which will enhance our play-action pass stuff that we did some today and we’ll get even more into it tomorrow,” said the head coach. “There are a lot of things that we are looking at on both sides. Things that we want to look at and evaluate ourselves so when we go into training camp.”

http://www.sf49ers.com/newsroom/DisplayNews.asp?newsid=1206