X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The_Philster
    • Jul 2002

NFL owners to discuss playoff expansion

PHILADELPHIA (May 19, 2003 4:04 p.m. EDT) - When NFL owners think about expanding the playoffs, they don't see a dilution of the product. They see two more postseason games, two more sold-out stadiums and two more television dates.

The owners meet in Philadelphia on Tuesday and Wednesday to discuss adding two more teams to the playoffs, one in each conference. That would mean only the club with the best conference record would have a bye, and there would be six games on the first weekend of the postseason.

Several league executives fear one bye would be too much of a competitive advantage, one reason a decision was not made at the March winter meetings. Instead, the issue was tabled for further study, and a determination should come this week.

One big fear is that having 14 playoff qualifiers in a 32-team league could lead to a sub-.500 team making it.
    more
    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!
  • madness23
    • Apr 2003

I just think the AFC East needs another playoff spot.

Hate to be bias, but we're just too damn good. The whole division should of been in the playoffs. LOL

Comment

• lordofgun
      in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
      • Jul 2002

They should just go to 16 with no byes.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• madness23
        • Apr 2003

If a decision is made to expand the playoffs, when will the setup change?

Comment

• imbondz
          Democrats are people too
          • Jan 2003

I like the byes. It gives the best teams a derserved week off and gives games more meaning at the end of the season to teams who've already won the division early, and are playing for home field and a week off-
          My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• Travis Hunter
            • Jul 2002

They should have thought about this before they went to 4 divisions. Everything was fine the way it was. This 4 division format with only two wild cards is bad.
            I think they would be better off going back to 3 divisions, but it will never ever happen.
            One extra wild card team I think is OK. Two is too much. But how you add only 1 team is beyond me.
            Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• Typ0
              honey pie
              • Jul 2002

They need to add another wild card for each conference.

Comment

• Travis Hunter
                • Jul 2002

I agree typo, but how would you tier a playoff schedule with 7 teams?
                Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Jul 2002

The problem with going to 16 is that there would have to be 8 games on the first weekend. It would be too hard to space for TV.

If they added one more team per conference, there would have to be 6 games that first weekend, which would be doable, since playoffs has been creeping into prime time anyhow.

Comment

• Dozerdog
                    In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                    • Jul 2002

Just take the top 6 teams in the conference .

Screw ya if you win your division but are only 8-8.

However, if there are a group of teams that are tied for the last spot, if you won your division that should be the first tie breaker.

Comment

• lordofgun
                      in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Travis Hunter
                      I agree typo, but how would you tier a playoff schedule with 7 teams?
                      You only give 1 bye per conference. There's 3 wild card games on both saturday and sunday. Teams with the bye play the lowest seed to advance.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• Stewie
                        Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
                        • Aug 2002

I like Dozer's idea. If everyone plays 66% of games against other AFC teams, then that means any division winner will pretty much get in guaranteed 'cause of the tiebraker.
                        Originally posted by Topdog
                        Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
                        Originally posted by mercyrule
                        I love Weiner.
                        Originally posted by mercyrule
                        also cheese

Comment

• lordofgun
                          in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dozerdog
                          Just take the top 6 teams in the conference .

Screw ya if you win your division but are only 8-8.

However, if there are a group of teams that are tied for the last spot, if you won your division that should be the first tie breaker.
                          Then we might as well do away with divisions. I don't like it.

Comment

• HenryRules
                            • Jul 2002

I know it won't work with the tv schedule but I'd like to see them semi-revamp the scheduling process, and have the top 2 teams in each division make the playoffs (similar to how the NHL used to work). The first round of the playoffs would be division championships and then you'd have some sort of seeding of the 8 remaining teams. The schedules would have to be reworked so that instead of the bottom teams playing an easier schedule, everyone would have the same schedule, so that the best teams in each division made the playoffs (I don't like the ideas of softer schedules anyway).

This way, divisions would really mean something, unlike now where they sort of do and sort of don't. And there's still an opportunity for a team to make the playoffs if they have a tough division. The first round of the playoffs could also be thought of almost as a championship game instead of a first round of the playoffs so I don't think it would really cheapen the postseason either.

Comment

• ryjam282
                              Offical Billszone Starting QB
                              • Mar 2003

I think it is a good idea. One more team per conference would make it a little more interesting. I am for it.

Ryan Withey
                              Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

Working...
                              X