PDA

View Full Version : NFL owners to discuss playoff expansion

The_Philster
05-19-2003, 06:20 PM
PHILADELPHIA (May 19, 2003 4:04 p.m. EDT) - When NFL owners think about expanding the playoffs, they don't see a dilution of the product. They see two more postseason games, two more sold-out stadiums and two more television dates.

The owners meet in Philadelphia on Tuesday and Wednesday to discuss adding two more teams to the playoffs, one in each conference. That would mean only the club with the best conference record would have a bye, and there would be six games on the first weekend of the postseason.

Several league executives fear one bye would be too much of a competitive advantage, one reason a decision was not made at the March winter meetings. Instead, the issue was tabled for further study, and a determination should come this week.

One big fear is that having 14 playoff qualifiers in a 32-team league could lead to a sub-.500 team making it. ...
more (http://www.sportserver.com/football/nfl/story/892564p-6218045c.html)

madness
05-19-2003, 06:30 PM
I just think the AFC East needs another playoff spot.

Hate to be bias, but we're just too damn good. The whole division should of been in the playoffs. LOL

lordofgun
05-19-2003, 06:46 PM
They should just go to 16 with no byes.

madness
05-19-2003, 06:49 PM
If a decision is made to expand the playoffs, when will the setup change?

imbondz
05-19-2003, 06:58 PM
I like the byes. It gives the best teams a derserved week off and gives games more meaning at the end of the season to teams who've already won the division early, and are playing for home field and a week off-

Turf
05-19-2003, 07:21 PM
They should have thought about this before they went to 4 divisions. Everything was fine the way it was. This 4 division format with only two wild cards is bad.
I think they would be better off going back to 3 divisions, but it will never ever happen.
One extra wild card team I think is OK. Two is too much. But how you add only 1 team is beyond me.

Typ0
05-20-2003, 10:57 AM
They need to add another wild card for each conference.

Turf
05-20-2003, 11:10 AM
I agree typo, but how would you tier a playoff schedule with 7 teams?

Earthquake Enyart
05-20-2003, 11:18 AM
The problem with going to 16 is that there would have to be 8 games on the first weekend. It would be too hard to space for TV.

If they added one more team per conference, there would have to be 6 games that first weekend, which would be doable, since playoffs has been creeping into prime time anyhow.

Dozerdog
05-20-2003, 11:19 AM
Just take the top 6 teams in the conference .

Screw ya if you win your division but are only 8-8.

However, if there are a group of teams that are tied for the last spot, if you won your division that should be the first tie breaker.

lordofgun
05-20-2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Travis Hunter
I agree typo, but how would you tier a playoff schedule with 7 teams?

You only give 1 bye per conference. There's 3 wild card games on both saturday and sunday. Teams with the bye play the lowest seed to advance. ;)

Stewie
05-20-2003, 12:06 PM
I like Dozer's idea. If everyone plays 66% of games against other AFC teams, then that means any division winner will pretty much get in guaranteed 'cause of the tiebraker.

lordofgun
05-20-2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
Just take the top 6 teams in the conference .

Screw ya if you win your division but are only 8-8.

However, if there are a group of teams that are tied for the last spot, if you won your division that should be the first tie breaker.

Then we might as well do away with divisions. I don't like it.

HenryRules
05-20-2003, 12:20 PM
I know it won't work with the tv schedule but I'd like to see them semi-revamp the scheduling process, and have the top 2 teams in each division make the playoffs (similar to how the NHL used to work). The first round of the playoffs would be division championships and then you'd have some sort of seeding of the 8 remaining teams. The schedules would have to be reworked so that instead of the bottom teams playing an easier schedule, everyone would have the same schedule, so that the best teams in each division made the playoffs (I don't like the ideas of softer schedules anyway).

This way, divisions would really mean something, unlike now where they sort of do and sort of don't. And there's still an opportunity for a team to make the playoffs if they have a tough division. The first round of the playoffs could also be thought of almost as a championship game instead of a first round of the playoffs so I don't think it would really cheapen the postseason either.

ryjam282
05-21-2003, 07:48 AM
I think it is a good idea. One more team per conference would make it a little more interesting. I am for it.

lordofgun
05-21-2003, 09:19 AM
Same here! Welcome to the Zone, ryjam!

BillC
05-21-2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by lordofgun

Then we might as well do away with divisions. I don't like it.

Divisions still have their place. They are a powerful tie-breaker in DD's scenario.

Example-

AFCE-
Pats 10-6 4 seed
Jets 10-6 5 seed
Bills 10-6 (3rd due to zillionth tie breaker)

AFCN-
Pitt 11-5 2 seed
Cle 8-8 (win all tie breakers with 8-8 teams using current rules)

AFCW-
Den 12-4 1 seed
SD 11-5 3 seed

AFC South
Texans 8-8 (win div tiebreaker)
Tenn 8-8
Balt 8-8

Under 2002 rules, the Bills are out and the Texans are in. Under DD's plan, the Bills are in (rewarded for playing in a tougher division).

BillC
05-21-2003, 09:34 AM
BTW- Good forst post RJ!

Ooooops - better not call you that...LOL

lordofgun
05-21-2003, 09:39 AM
Shocking you support Dozer! :eek: :D

Sorry, but division winners should be in. Say an incredibly tough AFC East finishes with everyone 8-8 or lower because we all beat each other into oblivion during the regular season. (Not a big stretch)

Also say that we are beat out for the 6th seed by another team in another weaker division who has an 8-8 record.

Under that plan, the AFC East would not have a team in the playoffs, correct?

Don't like it.

BillC
05-21-2003, 09:41 AM
Anybody who's 8-8 should not be in the playoffs period.

9-7 teams should have no complaints about not makin ghtem either.

lordofgun
05-21-2003, 09:44 AM
Sorry, the playoffs wouldn't be the playoffs without an AFC East team.

Earthquake Enyart
05-21-2003, 09:48 AM
Look at last year. The Colts made it and the Pats and Fish lost out.

Turf
05-21-2003, 10:03 AM
An extra wild card would have fixed some of that.
I have to agree that the division winners have to get in. And if they went to 7 teams, then just the top record in each conference gets a bye. To me thats the most reasonable approach.
They have to have 3 wild card teams. Two is not enough.