• Syderick
    • Apr 2006

Schobel Making Strides in Recovery

Bills Focus on how Schobel is doing during the offseason:

3,000,000th post on BZ!

• DMBcrew36
    • Feb 2005

Re: Schobel Making Strides in Recovery

Making strides in recovery? Oh. I was hoping it'd say "making strides in improving his game", or, "making strides in trying to be a legit DE." Oh well.

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
      • Apr 2005

agree crew. i was hoping he was making strides in not sucking a$$ and getting junk time sacks

Comment

• kid mickey
        • Apr 2009

My article on Schobel... Think it's pretty much a wrap for him...

Seven and a half sacks—that’s what Aaron Schobel has come up with since signing his $50.5 million contract extension...
        Last edited by kid mickey; 06-23-2009, 09:46 PM.
        Biggest Donte Whitner supporter on this entire message board...Maybe biggest Donte Whitner fan ever...Wish there was a white throwback out that I could get of you guessed it #20...

Comment

• lmcshadow
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by kid mickey
          My article on Schobel... Think it's pretty much a wrap for him...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...t-thou-schobel
          cant get bleacher report please copy?
          The enemy deserves no mercy....mercy is for the weak.

Comment

• kid mickey
            • Apr 2009

Seven and a half sacks—that’s what Aaron Schobel has come up with since signing his $50.5 million contract extension.

That just isn’t up to par with what a $50 million dollar man should be doing for a football team desperate for a pass rush.

In Schobel’s defense last year, he only played in five games due to a Lisfranc foot injury that sidelined him from week five and beyond. The bad thing is, in the first four weeks the Bills played cupcake teams, and he only managed one sack.
            What is it going to take Schobel to get back to 2007 form, where he finished the season with 14 sacks, was in on 57 tackles, and made the Pro Bowl?

A lot of hard work and dedication, plus a little desire, should do the trick. You would think that with the new defensive line coach Bob Sanders in the mix, Schobel would be at every OTA soaking up what Sanders wants to do with him.

Guys like Chris Kelsay, Marcus Stroud, and John McCargo are there. Why isn’t Schobel? Is he too good for OTAs? What is he doing that is so important that he would risk losing all the money on the back end of his deal?

For his and the Bills' sake, he should be working on his conditioning and studying his playbook. I know these OTAs are voluntary, but with the Bills needing desperately to get to the playoffs this year, every player should be working on any new scheme designs that Perry Fewell may have installed.

Bills fans may question Schobel’s desire to play football anymore. He got $20 million guaranteed, he’s 32 years old, and it’s a real possibility that he is just showing up to games to collect his check.

Russ Brandon is hoping Schobel doesn’t have that mentality. In fact, Brandon is banking on Schobel to have a big year. Without a solid pass rush, this defense will still be middle of the pack and that is not something the Bills can afford.

Expecting big things from rookie Aaron Maybin isn’t exactly the safest route to go, which makes Schobel’s dominant return a must. Maybin is here to alleviate pressure, not shoulder it all.

If he doesn’t produce this year, the Bills would be pretty hard pressed to keep the 32 year old around.

Like Schobel said himself after signing his extension, “That's the one thing, I don't want be overpaid and I don't want to be underpaid. That's my motivation."

Well, Schobel, I hope you are motivated, because right now, you are grossly overpaid.
            Biggest Donte Whitner supporter on this entire message board...Maybe biggest Donte Whitner fan ever...Wish there was a white throwback out that I could get of you guessed it #20...

Comment

• kid mickey
              • Apr 2009

Sucks that you can't get Bleacher Report they got some good articles in there mostly young guys who haven't made a name for themselves yet. Its a good gateway. If I ever make it anywhere I have Bills Zone and Bleacher Report to thank.

Comment

• TheMan08
                Knocks only the living.
                • Oct 2008

nice article. good luck

Comment

• TigerJ
                  • Jul 2002

I did not find the Chris Brown video piece to be completely reassuring. It suggested he may never completely recover from this Lisfranc injury, whatever it is. At 32 years old, I rather think he needs to be completely recovered to have any semblance of effectiveness. Until he gets on the field and shows us something, I think pretty much all Bills fans everywhere are going to be somewhat skeptical.
                  I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Oldbillsfan
                    shelby's big brother smilie smilie
                    • Mar 2007

he is practicing his super wide loop around the opposing qb? lol

Comment

• trapezeus
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Oct 2004

over/under on how many games schobel plays this year? I set the bar at 5 games, and i'm taking the under. Schobel is the embodiment of no commitment to winning, being just good enough to stay under the radar, but not good enough to take you to that next level. Thank goodness that the FO really found a replacement for him and the lack luster pass rush thsi year....oh right, they didn't do anything to make us less dependent on the prayer that is "schobel becomes a beast on defense."

Comment

• kid mickey
                        • Apr 2009

Schobel pretty much said it himself, this might be his last year in the NFL. Honestly I'd set the bar at eight games and take the over. I think he plays ten, but is clearly ineffective and retires after this year.

Comment

• trapezeus
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Oct 2004

it's just sad that a guy who complained on mic'd up last year that he was too old, then got hurt, and is vocally not sure about what he has left in the tank, we still depended on to be our impact de for the beginning of the year.

but the draft unfolded the way it did due to Peter's inability to be a team player. if the bills could have tried to squeak one more year out of last year's line and up grade the DL primarily through the draft, we would have been in great position to be a wildcard team. instead both sides of the ball suffer. the bills offense could be better this year, but i can't see how the D is going to be even half as good as it was last year, and they sucked last year.

Comment

• Hemlepp53
                            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by trapezeus
                            it's just sad that a guy who complained on mic'd up last year that he was too old, then got hurt, and is vocally not sure about what he has left in the tank, we still depended on to be our impact de for the beginning of the year.

but the draft unfolded the way it did due to Peter's inability to be a team player. if the bills could have tried to squeak one more year out of last year's line and up grade the DL primarily through the draft, we would have been in great position to be a wildcard team. instead both sides of the ball suffer. the bills offense could be better this year, but i can't see how the D is going to be even half as good as it was last year, and they sucked last year.
                            I disagree trap. I think the defense will be improved from last year. I know things could of been done a lot better in the off season for the D but we were garbage last year. Theres no where to go but up... we have young players who have sometime together now as a unit. I am not saying we are going to be ton 10 D but we will improve. It will all depend who starts and finishes. I think Schobel will play the majority of the season and I think Maybin will replace Kelsay by week 3 if he doesnt start the season. Marcus is needs to step it up for the contract... just my 6 cents
                            @Hemlepp53

Comment

• lmcshadow
                              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Hemlepp53
                              I disagree trap. I think the defense will be improved from last year. I know things could of been done a lot better in the off season for the D but we were garbage last year. Theres no where to go but up... we have young players who have sometime together now as a unit. I am not saying we are going to be ton 10 D but we will improve. It will all depend who starts and finishes. I think Schobel will play the majority of the season and I think Maybin will replace Kelsay by week 3 if he doesnt start the season. Marcus is needs to step it up for the contract... just my 6 cents
                              contract or not marcus is an asset....we cant afford to lose him at all right now or next year.
                              The enemy deserves no mercy....mercy is for the weak.

Comment

Working...
                              X