PDA

View Full Version : McKelvin out to corner starter's role

The Spaz
06-25-2009, 08:38 AM
Last year as a rookie Leodis McKelvin said it was his goal to be a starter. And though it did not happen until injury struck Buffalo’s secondary, he was ready when called upon. Now a year wiser and with Jabari Greer departing via free agency, McKelvin is prepared to be a starter from day one in 2009.

“It’s a lot easier,” said McKelvin in comparing year two to year one of his career. “I’ve been getting a lot of reps. Being with that first team and being able to go out there and showcase my talents it’s coming along very well.”

McKelvin’s time on the field this past spring was a bit curtailed by his infected finger. He’ll have competition from the likes of Reggie Corner, Drayton Florence and Ashton Youboty, but there is little doubt that when training camp begins the former number one pick will be lined up at right cornerback opposite Terrence McGee.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/mckelvin-out-to-corner-starters-role/124ada5b-ff85-4177-a8a7-d864d1bc2c29

gil
06-25-2009, 09:25 AM
It would be nice to have him turn into a star for us.

Mahdi
06-25-2009, 09:43 AM
His skills are evident and he's a superb athlete. You could tell he was a step behind mentally though. After a year in the system I expect him to have a solid year. If we can get pressure on QBs I expect 6-8 picks.

The KC game showed his ball hawking ability.

OpIv37
06-25-2009, 09:55 AM
If he can't beat out Corner, Youboty and Florence, it's not a good sign. The starting position should be his to lose.

TigerJ
06-25-2009, 10:39 AM
If he can't beat out Corner, Youboty and Florence, it's not a good sign. The starting position should be his to lose.

Very true! Anything less than winning the starting position and performing well in that role would be a huge disappointment. I'm expecting him to be a great cornerback.

trapezeus
06-25-2009, 10:41 AM
one saving grace for the bills D this year is that they might be putting out a bunch of ball hawks for the secondary. If you are bend but don't break D like ours, turnovers are the key. And Leodis and that safety they drafted might be guys who have a nose for INT's. If only we had a LB crew or DL that loved creating fumbles, then we'd have something to make us rest easy at night.

WeAreArthurMoates
06-25-2009, 10:49 AM
I loved this pick last year and he's turning into to my favorite player. The kids athletecism is off the charts and this kid truley can be one of the great corners. There's no doubt in my mind that he wins the job. McKelvin will be our most dangerous defensive player next year.

Yasgur's Farm
06-25-2009, 11:29 AM
I could have sworn that I saw scouting reports listing one of his weaknesses at being hands... But, as I just searched, the closest comment I read was that his "ball skills" were weak.

trapezeus
06-25-2009, 12:09 PM
i remember in the draft that they liked his ball skills and his return ability. how can you not have good hands and then be a punt returner? I know punts and passes are different tragectories and such, but still. it's about catching the ball.

madness
06-25-2009, 12:58 PM
one saving grace for the bills D this year is that they might be putting out a bunch of ball hawks for the secondary. If you are bend but don't break D like ours, turnovers are the key. And Leodis and that safety they drafted might be guys who have a nose for INT's. If only we had a LB crew or DL that loved creating fumbles, then we'd have something to make us rest easy at night.

That's the Tampa 2 in a nutshell! Now only if we had the pass rush that initiates it all.

casdhf
06-25-2009, 01:57 PM
I could have sworn that I saw scouting reports listing one of his weaknesses at being hands... But, as I just searched, the closest comment I read was that his "ball skills" were weak.The knock on him was that he did everything right and always got great position, but when he broke on the ball he could never catch it.

thenry20
06-25-2009, 02:46 PM
His skills are evident and he's a superb athlete. You could tell he was a step behind mentally though. After a year in the system I expect him to have a solid year. If we can get pressure on QBs I expect 6-8 picks.

I really didn't expect him to have the year that he did last year with the limited reps in practice and his position on the depth chart but he really opened my eyes and I hope there is much greater upside now that he's teased us with his talent. This young man feels like he's going to be a huge star in this league! :rockout:

trapezeus
06-25-2009, 02:53 PM
i also felt like he played with heart last year. in that infamous jets game, when favre bootlegged for a 20 yard run, leodis sprinted at him full speed and made the tackle while the rest of the team looked like, "gosh darn it, we got bamboozled."

i hope he pans through.

yordad
06-25-2009, 02:55 PM
Hey now, no knock on McKelvin, but when healthy Youboty isn't a slouch. He better not think he can breeze through this one. Our CB group is solid.

patmoran2006
06-25-2009, 04:22 PM
Considering he was the 11th overall pick in the draft, that would be nice if he could become a starter.

jamze132
06-25-2009, 04:25 PM
I would love nothing more than for McKelvin to win one of the starting CB roles and for Youboty to lock down the Nickel position. I love Corner also helping in the Dime.

With just a tiny bit of pressure on the QB (:lol:), we could have a few interceptions.

SABURZFAN
06-25-2009, 09:33 PM
we can only hope that he continues to get better and avoid injuries.

DRELOVESBills
06-26-2009, 11:06 AM
the job is his to lose!!

BillsHound
06-26-2009, 07:12 PM

I agree with you 100 percent. I think now that McKelvin is in his second year, he is going to be much improved but it all starts upfront. No CB can cover forever.

Hemlepp53
06-27-2009, 12:22 AM

I agree 100%. He should play from day one on both defense and special teams. His ability will be noted early in the season,....

ddaryl
06-27-2009, 01:03 PM
It would be nice to have him turn into a star for us.

sure would be nice to hit a home run on a 1st rd pick ... :Lynch could be a great one 2..

We definitely need to wash the bad taste of subpar 1st picks from the pallette of years past

Buffalogic
06-27-2009, 04:08 PM
Starting at cb for McKelvin is a pretty good accomplishment because that position is easly the most competitive position not only on the defense, but the entire team as well.

The talk of OTA's this year is no suprise, it's how well the cb's are doing. Especially the likes of Reggie Corner (He will be a solid player for us) and Ellis Lankster the 7th round pick.

Getting back to McKelvin though coming out of Troy his knock definitely was his ball skills. I watched a lot of tape on him from Troy and he dropped three would-be interceptions in his final season. It's clear though he a superior athlete at the position and will continue giving himself great shots at interceptions now that he has become the starter.

acehole
06-28-2009, 01:31 PM
This is about right anyway as far as time goes. You want a #1 to start year one or two. For CB usually one but what gonna do.

Last year as a rookie Leodis McKelvin said it was his goal to be a starter. And though it did not happen until injury struck Buffalo’s secondary, he was ready when called upon. Now a year wiser and with Jabari Greer departing via free agency, McKelvin is prepared to be a starter from day one in 2009.

“It’s a lot easier,” said McKelvin in comparing year two to year one of his career. “I’ve been getting a lot of reps. Being with that first team and being able to go out there and showcase my talents it’s coming along very well.”

McKelvin’s time on the field this past spring was a bit curtailed by his infected finger. He’ll have competition from the likes of Reggie Corner, Drayton Florence and Ashton Youboty, but there is little doubt that when training camp begins the former number one pick will be lined up at right cornerback opposite Terrence McGee.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/mckelvin-out-to-corner-starters-role/124ada5b-ff85-4177-a8a7-d864d1bc2c29