PDA

View Full Version : Sabres find talent in roundabout way

Dr. Lecter
06-25-2009, 09:39 AM
NHL scouts and executives will gather in Montreal this weekend for the 2009 entry draft, intent on finding the future of their franchises.

The Buffalo Sabres and General Manager Darcy Regier are good at doing so ... though not necessarily in the first round.

The NHL draft is among the trickiest in pro sports, joining the Major League Baseball selection process, mainly because the 18-year-olds being chosen aren't ready to compete with the men in the league. NFL and NBA draftees, by comparison, are able to play immediately.

For the Sabres, the crapshoot begins right from the start. They have a number of first- round busts under Regier's watch.

From 1997 to 2006 (leaving out the last two drafts for natural maturation), three of the Sabres' 11 first-round picks haven't played in the NHL, while another played just 10 games.

Nighthawk
06-25-2009, 11:50 AM
Funny thing is, this team needs to acquire some proven, veteran talent...not some more "promising" youngsters. This is the problem with this organization, they just don't understand what it takes to build a winner.

OpIv37
06-25-2009, 03:13 PM
Funny thing is, this team needs to acquire some proven, veteran talent...not some more "promising" youngsters. This is the problem with this organization, they just don't understand what it takes to build a winner.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems that every year, both the Bills and the Sabres start the season leading the league in "potential" and they finish every season leading the league in "unrealized potential".

Just once, can we sign some guys who make the team better instead of letting Pro Bowl players/captains walk and trying to replace them with rookies or other unproven players?

Nighthawk
06-25-2009, 05:08 PM
Maybe it's just me, but it seems that every year, both the Bills and the Sabres start the season leading the league in "potential" and they finish every season leading the league in "unrealized potential".

Just once, can we sign some guys who make the team better instead of letting Pro Bowl players/captains walk and trying to replace them with rookies or other unproven players?

I agree 100%! I'm tired of the morons running these teams, especially the Sabres. Anybody who thinks this team will be any different next year without significant upgrades in talent are seriously kidding themselves.

JD
06-25-2009, 07:18 PM
There really is some curse against Buffalo. Who in their right mind would hand pick these ****ing idiots running both teams into the ground? It truly is amazing!