• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Donte's Playoff Promise

This is what Donte just said in his live chat:

You guaranteed a playoff birth last season, what's your expectations for next season? You're in a tough division and Brady's coming back.

Donte Whitner, Buffalo Bills
    Yes, I did guarantee it last year, and i'm not going to make any guarantees this year. But I believe we have a better football team, and we've had great OTAs and minicamps. I'm looking forward to training camp. My expectations for us this year is def the playoffs.

Some of you Whitner apologists: one more time, PLEASE tell me why he couldn't have just said that last year. He answered the playoff question in a way that showed confidence in his team without making an asinine guarantee. This is how he should have handled it in the first place.

Oh well, at least he learned his lesson.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • Tatonka
    • Jul 2002

Re: Donte's Playoff Promise

:stfu:
    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
      Pinkerton's son
      • Feb 2006

say what you want, but i truly believe he was just trying to motivate his teammates. thats my opinion, so i didnt have a huge problem with him doing it.

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

intelligent, topical response.

Look, the people defending Donte did so partially on the grounds that he has to show confidence in his team. My point, at the time, was that it's possible to show confidence in the team WITHOUT being arrogant and making cocky guarantees.

Donte himself proved that with his most recent comments.
        Last edited by OpIv37; 06-26-2009, 06:12 PM.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Mahdi
          • Mar 2004

I'm encouraged about what he said about McCargo. If he comes to play this year we could have a very strong interior.

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Mahdi
            I'm encouraged about what he said about McCargo. If he comes to play this year we could have a very strong interior.
            I'd love to see McCargo step up. He showed some progress towards the end of 07 then regressed again last year. It would help this team tremendously if he could live up to his billing.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• DrGraves
              • Mar 2008

DONTE WHITNER IS THE WORST SAFETY IN THE NFL.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                • May 2003

As far as what he said last year vs. this interview, I just think he might be growing up a little. It happens. It's called maturing.
                Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                  • Mar 2004

McCargo needs a GOOD D-line coach. Not Tim Krumrie, or whoever the f the D-line coach was last year.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                    As far as what he said last year vs. this interview, I just think he might be growing up a little. It happens. It's called maturing.
                    Nothing wrong with learning from mistakes. It's when you repeat mistakes that you look like a fool.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                      • May 2003

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral
                      Nothing wrong with learning from mistakes. It's when you repeat mistakes that you look like a fool.
                      Totally agree. I just wish that some of his detractors could stop bashing him, and chalk up last year's "guarantee" to youthful exuberence.
                      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                        Totally agree. I just wish that some of his detractors could stop bashing him, and chalk up last year's "guarantee" to youthful exuberence.
                        maybe if it was just last year's guarantee. But the guy has two off the field incidents, he hit that dude 8 yards deep in the end zone, and he hasn't exactly been stellar on the field either.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
                          • Apr 2008

Originally posted by OpIv37
                          maybe if it was just last year's guarantee. But the guy has two off the field incidents, he hit that dude 8 yards deep in the end zone, and he hasn't exactly been stellar on the field either.
                          i liked that hit, a lot.

plus, we won the game anyway.

i do see where you're coming from though and agree to an extent.

Comment

• psubills62
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by OpIv37
                            This is what Donte just said in his live chat:

You guaranteed a playoff birth last season, what's your expectations for next season? You're in a tough division and Brady's coming back.

Donte Whitner, Buffalo Bills
                            Yes, I did guarantee it last year, and i'm not going to make any guarantees this year. But I believe we have a better football team, and we've had great OTAs and minicamps. I'm looking forward to training camp. My expectations for us this year is def the playoffs.

Some of you Whitner apologists: one more time, PLEASE tell me why he couldn't have just said that last year. He answered the playoff question in a way that showed confidence in his team without making an asinine guarantee. This is how he should have handled it in the first place.

Oh well, at least he learned his lesson.
                            I'm not exactly a Whitner apologist, but I'd say that he did learn his lesson. You answered your own question. These are young kids, and while it's reasonable to think they should know better, they really don't. I'm sure he was confident last year, but this year he realizes how to be confident without risking humiliation.
                            "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                            - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• jamesiscool
                              suck it fool.
                              • Feb 2007

worst safety in the NFL? does anyone remember the days of Prioleau and Izell Reese? I'm sure one of them would be readily available and looking for a team to play for if they haven't jettisoned to the UFL.

would you consider them to be an upgrade? Not to say Donte is an all-pro or worthy of his high draft status but he is more than serviceable. he doesn't HURT the team he just isn't a difference maker.
                              Sec 241 row 12 seat 23

Comment

Working...
                              X