PDA

View Full Version : Donte's Playoff Promise

OpIv37
06-26-2009, 02:20 PM
This is what Donte just said in his live chat:

You guaranteed a playoff birth last season, what's your expectations for next season? You're in a tough division and Brady's coming back.

Donte Whitner, Buffalo Bills
Yes, I did guarantee it last year, and i'm not going to make any guarantees this year. But I believe we have a better football team, and we've had great OTAs and minicamps. I'm looking forward to training camp. My expectations for us this year is def the playoffs.

Some of you Whitner apologists: one more time, PLEASE tell me why he couldn't have just said that last year. He answered the playoff question in a way that showed confidence in his team without making an asinine guarantee. This is how he should have handled it in the first place.

Oh well, at least he learned his lesson.

Tatonka
06-26-2009, 02:27 PM
:stfu:

Pinkerton Security
06-26-2009, 02:29 PM
say what you want, but i truly believe he was just trying to motivate his teammates. thats my opinion, so i didnt have a huge problem with him doing it.

OpIv37
06-26-2009, 02:31 PM
intelligent, topical response.

Look, the people defending Donte did so partially on the grounds that he has to show confidence in his team. My point, at the time, was that it's possible to show confidence in the team WITHOUT being arrogant and making cocky guarantees.

Donte himself proved that with his most recent comments.

Mahdi
06-26-2009, 02:40 PM
I'm encouraged about what he said about McCargo. If he comes to play this year we could have a very strong interior.

OpIv37
06-26-2009, 02:41 PM
I'm encouraged about what he said about McCargo. If he comes to play this year we could have a very strong interior.

I'd love to see McCargo step up. He showed some progress towards the end of 07 then regressed again last year. It would help this team tremendously if he could live up to his billing.

DrGraves
06-26-2009, 02:49 PM
DONTE WHITNER IS THE WORST SAFETY IN THE NFL.

Jan Reimers
06-26-2009, 02:50 PM
As far as what he said last year vs. this interview, I just think he might be growing up a little. It happens. It's called maturing.

Forward_Lateral
06-26-2009, 02:51 PM
McCargo needs a GOOD D-line coach. Not Tim Krumrie, or whoever the f the D-line coach was last year.

Forward_Lateral
06-26-2009, 02:52 PM
As far as what he said last year vs. this interview, I just think he might be growing up a little. It happens. It's called maturing.

Nothing wrong with learning from mistakes. It's when you repeat mistakes that you look like a fool.

Jan Reimers
06-26-2009, 03:03 PM
Nothing wrong with learning from mistakes. It's when you repeat mistakes that you look like a fool.
Totally agree. I just wish that some of his detractors could stop bashing him, and chalk up last year's "guarantee" to youthful exuberence.

OpIv37
06-26-2009, 03:07 PM
Totally agree. I just wish that some of his detractors could stop bashing him, and chalk up last year's "guarantee" to youthful exuberence.

maybe if it was just last year's guarantee. But the guy has two off the field incidents, he hit that dude 8 yards deep in the end zone, and he hasn't exactly been stellar on the field either.

Dr. Pepper
06-26-2009, 03:20 PM
maybe if it was just last year's guarantee. But the guy has two off the field incidents, he hit that dude 8 yards deep in the end zone, and he hasn't exactly been stellar on the field either.

i liked that hit, a lot.

plus, we won the game anyway.

i do see where you're coming from though and agree to an extent.

psubills62
06-26-2009, 03:37 PM

You guaranteed a playoff birth last season, what's your expectations for next season? You're in a tough division and Brady's coming back.

Yes, I did guarantee it last year, and i'm not going to make any guarantees this year. But I believe we have a better football team, and we've had great OTAs and minicamps. I'm looking forward to training camp. My expectations for us this year is def the playoffs.

Some of you Whitner apologists: one more time, PLEASE tell me why he couldn't have just said that last year. He answered the playoff question in a way that showed confidence in his team without making an asinine guarantee. This is how he should have handled it in the first place.

I'm not exactly a Whitner apologist, but I'd say that he did learn his lesson. You answered your own question. These are young kids, and while it's reasonable to think they should know better, they really don't. I'm sure he was confident last year, but this year he realizes how to be confident without risking humiliation.

jamesiscool
06-26-2009, 03:40 PM
worst safety in the NFL? does anyone remember the days of Prioleau and Izell Reese? I'm sure one of them would be readily available and looking for a team to play for if they haven't jettisoned to the UFL.

would you consider them to be an upgrade? Not to say Donte is an all-pro or worthy of his high draft status but he is more than serviceable. he doesn't HURT the team he just isn't a difference maker.

Buffalogic
06-26-2009, 03:50 PM
Who cares!

THATHURMANATOR
06-26-2009, 04:16 PM

Look, the people defending Donte did so partially on the grounds that he has to show confidence in his team. My point, at the time, was that it's possible to show competence in the team WITHOUT being arrogant and making cocky guarantees.

STFU

OpIv37
06-26-2009, 06:13 PM
STFU

Bufftp
06-26-2009, 06:52 PM

Look, the people defending Donte did so partially on the grounds that he has to show confidence in his team. My point, at the time, was that it's possible to show confidence in the team WITHOUT being arrogant and making cocky guarantees.

What a ridiculous thread. He made a better decision this year, having learned from last years error. If he repeated the mistake then maybe worth a mention.

I got to wonder why this thread was even started. Only a professional at being disgruntled and negative would start it.

OpIv37
06-26-2009, 07:22 PM
What a ridiculous thread. He made a better decision this year, having learned from last years error. If he repeated the mistake then maybe worth a mention.

I got to wonder why this thread was even started. Only a professional at being disgruntled and negative would start it.

It's an "I told you so" thread and I have no problem admitting it.

Usually, I don't start "I told you so" threads because although I'm usually right, it usually means the Bills lose, and I can't take any glory in losses. However, this particular case has nothing to do with wins and losses so I have no problem touting the fact that I'm right.

And just for the record, how can you be a fan and NOT be disgruntled and negative about the results this team has posted?

mayotm
06-26-2009, 10:18 PM
DONTE WHITNER IS THE WORST SAFETY IN THE NFL.And you're the worst poster on this site.

Hemlepp53
06-26-2009, 11:41 PM
And you're the worst poster on this site.
:bf1: :dance3:

Correct.... regardless to ones personal views on a player.. we need to be acurate and that is far from acurate....

MikeInRoch
06-27-2009, 08:20 AM

Then you understand why people find no value in them.

yordad
06-27-2009, 11:39 AM
I disagree. DrGraves isn't the worst poster. lighten up.

Hemlepp53
06-27-2009, 12:35 PM
I saw the interview this morning. I thought he sounded and presented himself well. I look forward to see what the change brings to the team.

ParanoidAndroid
06-27-2009, 01:16 PM
worst safety in the NFL? does anyone remember the days of Prioleau and Izell Reese? I'm sure one of them would be readily available and looking for a team to play for if they haven't jettisoned to the UFL.

would you consider them to be an upgrade? Not to say Donte is an all-pro or worthy of his high draft status but he is more than serviceable. he doesn't HURT the team he just isn't a difference maker.

Prioleau was intended to be a back-up and he wasn't that bad. I was actually hoping he would stay before they let him go. Reese should have never seen the field.

ParanoidAndroid
06-27-2009, 01:21 PM

Usually, I don't start "I told you so" threads because although I'm usually right, it usually means the Bills lose, and I can't take any glory in losses. However, this particular case has nothing to do with wins and losses so I have no problem touting the fact that I'm right.

And just for the record, how can you be a fan and NOT be disgruntled and negative about the results this team has posted?

Sure.....you might be right, but who needs a wet blanket on a cold day?

TigerJ
06-27-2009, 02:36 PM

Yes, people do tend to grow up as they get older. That's why you and I are such wise guys, Jan. :laughter:

Stewie
06-27-2009, 05:28 PM
all part of growing up.

how old is donte again?

BertSquirtgum
06-27-2009, 06:26 PM
i would say because he is only 23 and is still learning from his mistakes.

Block "O"
06-27-2009, 07:21 PM
The Whitner hatred is hilarious. Nothing beats BBMB though, you'd think he was a 4th string safety. I bet many of his haters are shocked that NFL Network would even ask him in for an interview.

SABURZFAN
06-27-2009, 09:44 PM
all part of growing up.

how old is donte again?

don't ask me. last time i guessed somebodys age(this morning), she got all pissed off and called an A-hole.

Hemlepp53
06-28-2009, 01:02 AM
don't ask me. last time i guessed somebodys age(this morning), she got all pissed off and called an A-hole.

You get called an A-hole for the age questions.... i get called an A-hole for waking up in the morning.

Mitchell55
06-28-2009, 04:13 PM

He finally says something good and now you are bashing him over it because he shouldve said it last year. WTF???

feldspar
06-28-2009, 04:23 PM

How can this be an "I told you so" thread when nothing is really proven by Whitner's choosing to be more diplomatic in his statements this time around? It's an opinion anyway. I'd call this an "I'm going to tell you again" thread.

I guess the question that needs to be asked is how would everyone feel about Whitner's guarantee had the Bills made the playoffs last year?

It wasn't the smartest thing to say, but I personally don't really give a rat's ass about it. Whitner can say anything he wants. He's the one that has to face the consequences of what he says, not me.

kscdogbillsfan1221
06-28-2009, 04:50 PM
He finally says something good and now you are bashing him over it because he shouldve said it last year. WTF???

no, he's saying he should have been more mature and diplomatic last year like he was this year when he said it instead of being brash and idiotic like he was last year.

TedMock
06-29-2009, 08:52 AM

Why does the arrogance of a professional athlete bother you? Most of them are very arrogant whether they're stars or backups. This post is dripping with arrogance, but I don't find it particularly offensive. In fact, I often agree with you - just not always with your approach, but that is just a stylistic preference. I don't apologize for Whitner or his not living up to expectations. It is what it is, but his "guarantee" didn't bother me. A lot of them do this. It's goofy and childish and he had to face the music for his prediction, but I don't think it's a big deal. I also don't see him being a year older and more diplomatic in his approach a big deal. Again, a lot of them go through this maturation stage. I don't think it takes a prophet to know that this happens regularly with professional athletes. They are all young, insanely talented and have millions of dollars. Of course they're arrogant. They outgrow a lot of that as they get their butts handed to them now and again. Like you, I hate watching them lose. It ruins part of my day. I still love watching the game. It's an odd dynamic. I would rather be upset part of every Sunday than not have it at all. Plus, it's the event, not just the game that I love. It's pre-game beers and grilled food at home or at a tailgate with friends and family. It's the conversation and debate before, during and after the game. It's growing up proud that my dad and I sat in the bitter cold until the final seconds of a 30-0 loss every week in the 80's. It's brainwashing my kids to be loyal to one team and one town through good and bad. I used to be upset all week after a loss. Friends and family felt I was the most diehard fan in the world. I lived and died by the Bills. As I get older I'm only upset after stupid plays and for a brief period after the game. I have too much else in my life these days to waste a week away pee'd off. Wife, kids, friends, hobbies, etc That's just part of my natural maturation. It happens to all us eventually.

OpIv37
06-29-2009, 05:36 PM

what do you mean, wtf? He still got it wrong last year and still embarrassed himself. Besides, I'm not so much bashing him as I am proving a point. Last year, the people defending him said he had to show confidence in his team.

My point was that he could show confidence in his team without making an asinine guarantee, like he did THIS year. So those defending Donte on "confidence" grounds were just plain wrong.

OpIv37
06-29-2009, 05:38 PM
Why does the arrogance of a professional athlete bother you? Most of them are very arrogant whether they're stars or backups. This post is dripping with arrogance, but I don't find it particularly offensive. In fact, I often agree with you - just not always with your approach, but that is just a stylistic preference. I don't apologize for Whitner or his not living up to expectations. It is what it is, but his "guarantee" didn't bother me. A lot of them do this. It's goofy and childish and he had to face the music for his prediction, but I don't think it's a big deal. I also don't see him being a year older and more diplomatic in his approach a big deal. Again, a lot of them go through this maturation stage. I don't think it takes a prophet to know that this happens regularly with professional athletes. They are all young, insanely talented and have millions of dollars. Of course they're arrogant. They outgrow a lot of that as they get their butts handed to them now and again. Like you, I hate watching them lose. It ruins part of my day. I still love watching the game. It's an odd dynamic. I would rather be upset part of every Sunday than not have it at all. Plus, it's the event, not just the game that I love. It's pre-game beers and grilled food at home or at a tailgate with friends and family. It's the conversation and debate before, during and after the game. It's growing up proud that my dad and I sat in the bitter cold until the final seconds of a 30-0 loss every week in the 80's. It's brainwashing my kids to be loyal to one team and one town through good and bad. I used to be upset all week after a loss. Friends and family felt I was the most diehard fan in the world. I lived and died by the Bills. As I get older I'm only upset after stupid plays and for a brief period after the game. I have too much else in my life these days to waste a week away pee'd off. Wife, kids, friends, hobbies, etc That's just part of my natural maturation. It happens to all us eventually.

Generally I'm not an arrogant person. It's just that I've been right a LOT on this board, yet I still take **** from people all the time. Usually, I can't take glory in being right because it means the Bills lost, which sucks all the fun out of it. My point in being arrogant THIS time was simply to make people aware that my comments are generally on point and I don't deserve the **** I get.

OpIv37
06-29-2009, 05:39 PM
The Whitner hatred is hilarious. Nothing beats BBMB though, you'd think he was a 4th string safety. I bet many of his haters are shocked that NFL Network would even ask him in for an interview.

the whitner love is hilarious. Nothing beats blind OSU homers, though, you'd think he's better than Ed Reed. I bet many of these Bills and OSU homers who constantly kiss Donte's ass would be shocked if they actually looked at his stat line or heard what objective observers who know about football have to say about him.

trapezeus
06-30-2009, 04:21 PM
perhaps donte realized putting up guarantees is a bad idea after he guaranteed his cleveland case would get thrown out and it didn't.

i'm not a hater or a supporter of Donte, but the truth is, he's got to up his game with the entire Defense if we have a shot this year. and we say that every year about every player and they all find a way to let us down.