PDA

View Full Version : And the Sabres select ....

Philagape
06-26-2009, 08:04 PM
Zack Kassian - RW - Peterborough

Philagape
06-26-2009, 08:05 PM
HT/WT: 6-3/210
Style: Todd Bertuzzi

Statistics
SEASON TEAM GP G A PTS PIM
2007-08 Peterborough 58 9 12 21 74
2008-09 Peterborough 61 24 39 63 136
Scouting Ranking
Org: TSN THN ISS RLR McK CS
Scouting Report
NHL Central Scouting's Chris Edwards: "Kassian is one of the toughest guys in the OHL and probably the entire draft. Last season as an under-ager there were overage guys in the league who would not take him on. He has not fought much this season (because) he has not had to. He is at his best when he is playing physical and tough along the boards. He protects the puck very well and fights through checks. He has very good play-making and puck-handling abilities."

hydro
06-26-2009, 08:06 PM
A grity winger? :shocked:

clumping platelets
06-26-2009, 08:06 PM
:clap:

The Spaz
06-26-2009, 08:10 PM
Finally a player that doesn't take any ****!

Philagape
06-26-2009, 08:12 PM
Analysis: "You want to talk nasty? You want to talk Milan Lucic? That's Zach Kassian. He's been drafted by a team with lots of undersized players. He was an organizational need for the Sabres." - Pierre McGuire

Philagape
06-26-2009, 08:21 PM
He has a 4 1/2-minute tribute video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSuzenUtyxU

Ebenezer
06-26-2009, 08:39 PM
Let's just hope he not the "next Brad May".

THATHURMANATOR
06-26-2009, 09:54 PM
Why do people always make these videos with such queer songs? I like this pick. He is a bad ass. Wich he could play immediately.

THATHURMANATOR
06-26-2009, 09:59 PM
Loved his drive to get to the net and his playmaking in the video

mchurchfie
06-27-2009, 03:15 AM
Let's just hope he not the "next Brad May".
Why, I would take a younger Brad May on this team anytime.

SabreEleven
06-27-2009, 04:35 AM
Why, I would take a younger Brad May on this team anytime.

May was only good for one thing and it wasn't scoring.

BuffRanger
06-27-2009, 08:42 AM
May was only good for one thing and it wasn't scoring.

Which perfectly explains his 18 seasons and 1000+ games in the league. Only Sabres fans would worry about a pick like this. We've gone very soft.

Ebenezer
06-27-2009, 10:04 AM
Brad May + Current Sabres team = still not making the playoffs.

This guy has to come in and be much better than Brad May ever was. Typical Buffalo responses here...tough, fighter, blah blah blah...hell, I can find 20 Patrick Kaletas...give me 30 goals every year - he doesn't ever have to fight...

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
06-27-2009, 10:32 AM
he's not going to :crack: the lineup any time soon! he says that he's returning for his Junior season at Peterborough that's his choice not the Sabres. Then he will be in Portland.

<iframe width="480" height="289" frameborder="0" src="http://sabres.nhl.tv/team/embed.jsp?catid=616&id=44239"></iframe>

The Spaz
06-27-2009, 10:36 AM
I heard him specifically say he will try and make the team this year LW and didn't mention saying he will stay in the OHL no matter what.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
06-27-2009, 10:48 AM
At 18, Kassian still needs time to develop and is expected to return to play junior next season.

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=813904&BCCode=BNNEWYORKSTATE

The Spaz
06-27-2009, 11:37 AM
At 18, Kassian still needs time to develop and is expected to return to play junior next season.

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=813904&BCCode=BNNEWYORKSTATE

You are right he may need time but he didn't say he will return to junior no matter what.

Nighthawk
06-27-2009, 11:49 AM
You are right he may need time but he didn't say he will return to junior no matter what.

LW is a notorious liar and he has done it again. Kassian specifically said he wants to try to make this roster next year. I don't think he's ready, but that is what he said last night.

chernobylwraiths
06-27-2009, 12:04 PM
What I have said is this team needs a ton more Paul Gaustads, and this guy fits the bill. We need more players willing to take on that role. We had a team that had lots of scorers and no grit and we didn't win. You need a mixture, I know that, but we have players that can score, now we need some grit. You NEED guys like Brad May on your team as well as guys like Vanek. If the tough guys can score a little, so much the better, but we need the guys with toughness who can give our Vaneks and Roys some room on the ice too. And can stick up for Miller when he is run, or run their goalie too. From what I have heard, I love the pick. I hope he works out.

chernobylwraiths
06-27-2009, 12:06 PM
Brad May + Current Sabres team = still not making the playoffs.

This guy has to come in and be much better than Brad May ever was. Typical Buffalo responses here...tough, fighter, blah blah blah...hell, I can find 20 Patrick Kaletas...give me 30 goals every year - he doesn't ever have to fight...

What a load of ****! You FIND 20 Kaletas, I bet you can't. You need a mixture on this team and we just don't have enough guys that are willing to do what it takes to win. Sure, every team will have a few of those, but we have way more than we need.

Ebenezer
06-27-2009, 12:27 PM
What I have said is this team needs a ton more Paul Gaustads, and this guy fits the bill. We need more players willing to take on that role. We had a team that had lots of scorers and no grit and we didn't win. You need a mixture, I know that, but we have players that can score, now we need some grit. You NEED guys like Brad May on your team as well as guys like Vanek. If the tough guys can score a little, so much the better, but we need the guys with toughness who can give our Vaneks and Roys some room on the ice too. And can stick up for Miller when he is run, or run their goalie too. From what I have heard, I love the pick. I hope he works out.
All that being said if he turns out to be Brad May 2009 style he will be run out of here on a rail.

Ebenezer
06-27-2009, 12:27 PM
What a load of ****! You FIND 20 Kaletas, I bet you can't. You need a mixture on this team and we just don't have enough guys that are willing to do what it takes to win. Sure, every team will have a few of those, but we have way more than we need.
Chern, there are 200 Kaletas playing in the A. You find me 20 Vaneks...

SabreEleven
06-27-2009, 01:19 PM
LW is a notorious liar and he has done it again. Kassian specifically said he wants to try to make this roster next year. I don't think he's ready, but that is what he said last night.

I beg differ. I don't think LW is a liar. I think he thinks he knows what he is talking about and really doesn't. He talks more out of his ass than he lies.

chernobylwraiths
06-27-2009, 01:35 PM
Chern, there are 200 Kaletas playing in the A. You find me 20 Vaneks...

No, I think there are tons of players with his talent, but not as many with his desire. Besides, I have said I like Gaustad better anyways. He picks his spots, sticks up for teammates, can take faceoffs and will go in front of the net. I don't care that he isn't a prolific goal scorer.

chernobylwraiths
06-27-2009, 01:36 PM
All that being said if he turns out to be Brad May 2009 style he will be run out of here on a rail.

He might, but if he is the next Brad May, people will like him. People loved Brad May. Sure there were some that expected 50 plus goals per season, but there are always those. If he plays with heart and grit, I will like him.

Who SHOULD be run out on a rail is management.

Nighthawk
06-27-2009, 02:33 PM
I beg differ. I don't think LW is a liar. I think he thinks he knows what he is talking about and really doesn't. He talks more out of his ass than he lies.

Ok, maybe that is more true...I can't argue that.

Nighthawk
06-27-2009, 02:34 PM
He might, but if he is the next Brad May, people will like him. People loved Brad May. Sure there were some that expected 50 plus goals per season, but there are always those. If he plays with heart and grit, I will like him.

Who SHOULD be run out on a rail is management.

People didn't like May because the Sabres could have drafted Keith Tkachuk instead.

CuseJetsFan83
06-27-2009, 02:40 PM
from what i have seen and heard about this kid (the local brass here in syracuse were talking about how the bluejackets were looking at him as well).... he should be a prominent role player in the next few years.....

it would be nice to see someone taken some pressure off of goose, in terms of grit... and hell, from what i have heard he plans on trying to make the big show..... then he will go back to juniors if the sabres think he needs more time to develop.

Dr. Pepper
06-27-2009, 04:19 PM
Which perfectly explains his 18 seasons and 1000+ games in the league. Only Sabres fans would worry about a pick like this. We've gone very soft.

as a first round pick, May was a flop. no one's debating his heart, grit, durability, or any of that. fact is, (being the 13th OVERALL pick) if Kassian isn't better than May ended up, it will be a disappointment.

Philagape
06-27-2009, 04:29 PM
At least we didn't draft any skinhead Russians!!

Ebenezer
06-27-2009, 08:36 PM
as a first round pick, May was a flop. no one's debating his heart, grit, durability, or any of that. fact is, (being the 13th OVERALL pick) if Kassian isn't better than May ended up, it will be a disappointment.
exactly...couldn't have said it better.

chernobylwraiths
06-29-2009, 07:44 AM

This isn't the NFL. 13th overall means absolutely nothing, especially when you are talking about 17 and 18 year old kids. Who the hell knows what many of these kids are going to even look like in 3 to 4 years?

Dr. Pepper
06-29-2009, 02:57 PM
here's a sample draft:

1) Marc-Andre Fleury
2) Eric Staal
3) Nathan Horton
4) Nikolai Zherdev
5) Thomas Vanek
6) Milan Michalek
7) Ryan Suter
8) Braydon Coburn
9) Dion Phaneuf
10) Andrei Kostitsyn
11) Jeff Carter
12) Hugh Jessiman
13) Dustin Brown
14) Brent Seabrook
15) Robert Nilsson
16) Steve Bernier
17) Zach Parise
18) Eric Fehr
19) Ryan Getzlaf
20) Brent Burns

13th overall means nothing?? LOL.

oh, and the rest of that round had names like Mike Richards, Corey Perry, and Ryan Kesler....

:busted:

CuseJetsFan83
06-29-2009, 06:30 PM
it really all is a crap shoot though......

who knows how they will develop, plus unless they are primetime ready to go at 18... they stay in minors, juniors, or college hockey depending on the respective upbringings. a freak injury might turn a surefire HOF into a bust before even making the big time

chernobylwraiths
06-29-2009, 06:34 PM
here's a sample draft:

1) Marc-Andre Fleury
2) Eric Staal
3) Nathan Horton
4) Nikolai Zherdev
5) Thomas Vanek
6) Milan Michalek
7) Ryan Suter
8) Braydon Coburn
9) Dion Phaneuf
10) Andrei Kostitsyn
11) Jeff Carter
12) Hugh Jessiman
13) Dustin Brown
14) Brent Seabrook
15) Robert Nilsson
16) Steve Bernier
17) Zach Parise
18) Eric Fehr
19) Ryan Getzlaf
20) Brent Burns

13th overall means nothing?? LOL.

oh, and the rest of that round had names like Mike Richards, Corey Perry, and Ryan Kesler....

:busted:

Oooooooo, you picked a good draft. Here's a few:

1 NY Islanders Rick DiPietro
2 Atlanta Dany Heatley
3 Minnesota Marian Gaborik
4 Columbus Rostislav Klesla
5 NY Islanders Raffi Torres
6 Nashville Scott Hartnell
7 Boston Lars Jonsson
8 Tampa Bay Nikita Alexeev
9 Calgary Brent Krahn
10 Chicago Mikhail Yakubov
11 Chicago Pavel Vorobiev
12 Anaheim Alexei Smirnov
13 Mtl. Canadiens Ron Hainsey
14 Colorado Vaclav Nedorost
15 Buffalo Artem Kryukov

1 Atlanta Ilya Kovalchuk
2 Ottawa Jason Spezza
3 Tampa Bay Alexandr Svitov
4 Florida Stephen Weiss
5 Anaheim Stanislav Chistov
6 Minnesota Mikko Koivu
7 Mtl. Canadiens Mike Komisarek
8 Columbus Pascal Leclaire
9 Chicago Tuomo Ruutu
10 NY Rangers Dan Blackburn
11 Phoenix Fredrik Sjostrom
12 Nashville Dan Hamhuis
13 Edmonton Ales Hemsky
14 Calgary Chuck Kobasew
15 Carolina Igor Knyazev
22 Buffalo Jiri Novotny

1 Columbus Rick Nash
2 Atlanta Kari Lehtonen
3 Florida Jay Bouwmeester
4 Philadelphia Joni Pitkanen
5 Pittsburgh Ryan Whitney
6 Nashville Scottie Upshall
7 Anaheim Joffrey Lupul
8 Minnesota Pierre-Marc Bouchard
9 Florida Petr Taticek
10 Calgary Eric Nystrom
11 Buffalo Keith Ballard
12 Washington Steve Eminger
13 Washington Alexander Semin
14 Mtl. Canadiens Chris Higgins
15 Edmonton Jesse Niinimaki

Just LOOK at all the 50 goal scorers taken after the first few. I never even heard of some of these guys.

Dr. Pepper
06-29-2009, 08:15 PM
2002's first round was awesome, i dont know why youd include that in your argument. even the sabres didnt screw it up, we traded ballard for drury.

Philagape
06-29-2009, 08:20 PM
yeah I think I'd take Semin at 13 :drool:

(insert joke here)

chernobylwraiths
06-29-2009, 08:37 PM
2002's first round was awesome, i dont know why youd include that in your argument. even the sabres didnt screw it up, we traded ballard for drury.

Awesome? Only a handful of those guys are first liners and Ballard might only be a journeyman.

I'm saying it is a crapshoot. And the Sabres record on first rounders is abysmal, but so is the record of many other teams. But many here seem to expect the guy to be a 30 goal scorer within 3 to 4 years. I just would like the guy to be tough, have character and lead by example. Like Gaustad, who was a 6th or 7th rounder I believe.

Ebenezer
06-30-2009, 07:59 AM
personally, I would trade away most of the draft almost every year to move up or get other players...keep the first rounder unless there was a player you really wanted...and maybe a middle rounder...and if there was a tempting RFA I would be dropping draftpicks like poop off my shoe.