PDA

View Full Version : Wilson won't yet consider adding Toronto games

sdbillsfan2
06-28-2009, 04:43 PM
Wilson won't yet consider adding Toronto games......................................

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/bills/2009-06-28-wilson-toronto_N.htm?csp=34 (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/bills/2009-06-28-wilson-toronto_N.htm?csp=34)

kscdogbillsfan1221
06-28-2009, 04:45 PM
well good. cuz as pathetic as last years dolphins game was, we may as well have had teh %^&^ing game in London

The Natrix
06-28-2009, 05:06 PM
The fanfare for that game was a joke. If they played two "home games" there, you could pretty much rule playoffs out unless a premium team was fielded.

I would support a second game if it was an away game but that would never happen.

SABURZFAN
06-28-2009, 05:25 PM
won't yet consider??? throw $15-20 million in front of the Old Fart's face and he'll change his mind REAL quick.

ServoBillieves
06-28-2009, 07:12 PM
The fanfare for that game was a joke. If they played two "home games" there, you could pretty much rule playoffs out unless a premium team was fielded.

I would support a second game if it was an away game but that would never happen.

Not to full disagree, but although it may seem like a joke, if the NFL sees the Toronto series in trouble or going nowhere, then it's a possibility they'd make the second game more of the London variety as an away game.

homeslice5484
06-28-2009, 07:27 PM
all i have been asking for was a statement from him after the folks in toronto brought up another game. I am not going to defend ralph because there are things I dont like...but in all honesty...he could have moved this team already if he really wanted to...so I am not so sure that offering him a ton of money for another game would be the deciding factor unless the team was in trouble. The guy is 90, how much more can he need or want from us?

SABURZFAN
06-28-2009, 07:32 PM
all i have been asking for was a statement from him after the folks in toronto brought up another game. I am not going to defend ralph because there are things I dont like...but in all honesty...he could have moved this team already if he really wanted to...so I am not so sure that offering him a ton of money for another game would be the deciding factor unless the team was in trouble. The guy is 90, how much more can he need or want from us?

tell that to his tin cup.

Nighthawk
06-28-2009, 07:49 PM
Anybody catch that last part about new stadiums? I'm telling you, the time is coming soon when you hear the Bills discuss openly about building a new stadium in Downtown Buffalo.

SABURZFAN
06-28-2009, 07:59 PM
Anybody catch that last part about new stadiums? I'm telling you, the time is coming soon when you hear the Bills discuss openly about building a new stadium in Downtown Buffalo.

the Old Fart has to die first. he don't want that money leaving his bank account.

OpIv37
06-28-2009, 09:24 PM
Translation: "In two or three years, I'll have my bean-counters review the books and tell me how much money I made off the Toronto deal. If it's a lot, then I'll add another game, even if the team is 0-3 or 0-4 in Toronto at that point."

SABURZFAN
06-28-2009, 10:47 PM
Translation: "In two or three years, I'll have my bean-counters review the books and tell me how much money I made off the Toronto deal. If it's a lot, then I'll add another game, even if the team is 0-3 or 0-4 in Toronto at that point."

8 games for about $80 million may not be enough.

trapezeus
06-29-2009, 08:39 AM
i got a different sense than what has been discussed so far.

1. Wilson seems to me to want to defer the decision making process so he doesn't have to make it. 2-3 years, he might not be around and he'll happily have kept the bills in buffalo for all these years and someone else will have to make that hard decision.

2. someone asked if we noticed his new stadiums comments and how it leads to the bills getting a new stadium. I did not read it like that at all. Wilson openly complains about the cowboys because they are the most vocal about contributing to revenue sharing. and their PSL (which i believe aren't shared money) and the extra boxes at higher rates are not sharable money. He is just speaking out against that. A new stadium in buffalo isn't a viable idea. it'll cost every one more, the boxes still won't be sold, and it'll only marginally be better atmosphere.

Nighthawk
06-29-2009, 08:56 AM
i got a different sense than what has been discussed so far.

1. Wilson seems to me to want to defer the decision making process so he doesn't have to make it. 2-3 years, he might not be around and he'll happily have kept the bills in buffalo for all these years and someone else will have to make that hard decision.

2. someone asked if we noticed his new stadiums comments and how it leads to the bills getting a new stadium. I did not read it like that at all. Wilson openly complains about the cowboys because they are the most vocal about contributing to revenue sharing. and their PSL (which i believe aren't shared money) and the extra boxes at higher rates are not sharable money. He is just speaking out against that. A new stadium in buffalo isn't a viable idea. it'll cost every one more, the boxes still won't be sold, and it'll only marginally be better atmosphere.

A stadium in Buffalo is viable and it can't be linked to a rebirth of Buffalo. It could include an attached convention center which would bring more events to the WNY area and would be a retractable roof stadium...which also would bring more events. Your thinking is the reason that this area and all the "leaders" can't get things moving in the right direction.

Historian
06-29-2009, 09:17 AM
The lake is the key to everything.

trapezeus
06-29-2009, 09:25 AM
how long do we hear about the lake redevelopment? It is mired in political waste in general ineptitude. As long as buffalo continues its sprawl outward, there is very little chance that the city will rebuild itself. A stadium is not the answer to getting the city vibrant again. They have to keep the restaurants and stores there and then have people live there. then the stadium can come in.

Stadium's are enormous costs to city's, county's etc. They rarely pay off, and financing them is insanely expensive. For most banks they don't get any payment.

HSBC Center only got built because the knox had a guy at marine midland. Marine midland hated that deal from the get go and lost in the end on it.

What bank is going to jump into the fray in an already highly taxed area, for a team that may not stay there?

It has no teeth. It'd be great, but it isn't the first point of attack for turning around the city's needs.

The Juice Is Loose
06-29-2009, 10:40 AM
God forbid Ralph Wilson wants to make money!

This is America people. If it wasn't for Ralph Wilson's desire to make money, we'd have never had the Bills.

The guy comes out and says no to adding games, and you still are complaining!

Whereas I do agree that some of the decisions made have been crazy, as far as hiring GM's and coaches...Guess what, Bill Pollian and Marv Levy weren't exactly high profile guys before they came to Buffalo.

The other day a kid I know was complaining about why Greenday hasn't done anything to extend their repetua (IDK how to spell that)...And I said because it's been successful for them.

The best GM/Coach he ever hired came out of nowhere. There is no reason it can't happen again. Every good coach/GM in the world started from scratch.

We can go hire Don Shula's son, or Bill Cowher or something. Honestly how many times has a high profile coach switched teams and then won a Super Bowl?

Jon Gruden....Who else? Holmgren went to a SB but didn't win. Who else? Nobody. You can't just buy pro bowl players and be a winner. And you can't just hire some high profile coach and expect it to be automatic.

I'm rambling, but quit complaining for once. This team is all at camp. There are no holdouts. No distractions. We have a good rookie crop. This is going to be a good year.

BuffaloRanger
07-01-2009, 02:58 AM
Juice why are you talking about coaches? Ralph has only hired one head coach ever that had a playoff win to his credit. Chuck Knox. I guess you could also count Lou Saban after Ralph rehired him since he had playoff wins with the AFL Bills.

Ralph puts zero value on coaches. They cost too much. But hey 17 playoff seasons out of 49 have proven him correct right?

HHURRICANE
07-01-2009, 01:14 PM
Wilson won't yet consider adding Toronto games......................................

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/bills/2009-06-28-wilson-toronto_N.htm?csp=34 (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/bills/2009-06-28-wilson-toronto_N.htm?csp=34)

I heard this week that Ralph said there would be no more additional games in Toronto.