PDA

View Full Version : Blues Buy-out Mckee

rbochan
06-29-2009, 04:15 PM
" The St. Louis Blues have signed free-agent winger Brad Winchester and free-agent defenseman Mike Weaver to new one-year, $800,000 contracts.

In addition, the Blues will put veteran defenseman Jay McKee on waivers with the intent of buying out the final year of his contract..."

http://www.bnd.com/breaking_news/story/826496.html

Bring him home Darcy!

:oldskool:

JD
06-29-2009, 04:22 PM
He already has a home here, why not play here

Dr. Pepper
06-29-2009, 04:29 PM
i could see him coming here for between 1-2 mil. make it happen darcy, and get rid of tallinder while youre at it (trade him for a 5th round pick i dont even care)...

JD
06-29-2009, 07:59 PM
i could see him coming here for between 1-2 mil. make it happen darcy, and get rid of tallinder while youre at it (trade him for a 5th round pick i dont even care)...
Exactly. I have faith in the young bloods. McKee will shows them how to grow a set of balls and get down in front of pucks :tip:

snow1989
06-29-2009, 11:59 PM
If McKee was willing to come back for 1-2mil I'd say not a bad deal.

BlackMetalNinja
06-30-2009, 07:10 AM
Interesting how teams want out of these deals for our former defensemen so badly when so many people were lamenting us losing them at the time. McKee getting bought out. Chicago wanting out of Campbell's contract in a bad way. I suppose that goes to show that while they might have fit well here and been good players during their time here, they weren't necessarily worth the cash that was thrown at them.

THATHURMANATOR
06-30-2009, 07:56 AM
Interesting how teams want out of these deals for our former defensemen so badly when so many people were lamenting us losing them at the time. McKee getting bought out. Chicago wanting out of Campbell's contract in a bad way. I suppose that goes to show that while they might have fit well here and been good players during their time here, they weren't necessarily worth the cash that was thrown at them.
I agree whole heartedly.

BigZ
06-30-2009, 10:48 AM

Not just our defencemen - Philly is looking at Briere and the money they threw at him.

Personally, I'd take McKee back at 2 mil or under in a heartbeat.

THATHURMANATOR
06-30-2009, 10:54 AM
I would take back Mckee and Briere for sensible contracts. Then we make a run at that cup baby.

OpIv37
06-30-2009, 08:18 PM
Well, the hindsight goes both ways.

How good was this team when Campbell, McKee and Briere were here? How bad was it when they left? You people have really short-term memories.

BlackMetalNinja
06-30-2009, 08:44 PM
Well, the hindsight goes both ways.

How good was this team when Campbell, McKee and Briere were here? How bad was it when they left? You people have really short-term memories.So you'd be fine paying them a boatload a cash with their production levels where they currently are?

OpIv37
06-30-2009, 09:28 PM
So you'd be fine paying them a boatload a cash with their production levels where they currently are?

you're making the faulty assumption that their production levels would have been just as bad if they had stayed.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
06-30-2009, 09:44 PM
you guys know I would take him back in a heartbeat but he's not the same player he used to be. He's had injury problems in St. Louis

INJURIES
Date Days Out Status Injury
Mar 20, 2008 Missed three games Day-to-day Ankle
Mar 11, 2008 Missed three games Day-to-day Ankle
Sep 26, 2007 Out 4-6 weeks Injured Reserve Fractured Metatarsal in right foot
Sep 26, 2007 Missed four games Injured Reserve Fractured Metatarsal in right foot
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hockey/nhl/players/1446/injuries.html

GP
2006-07 SLOU, NHL 23
2007-08 SLOU, NHL 66
2008-09 SLOU, NHL 69
http://nhlpa.com/WebStats/PlayerBiography.asp?ID=3765

BlackMetalNinja
07-01-2009, 07:49 AM
you're making the faulty assumption that their production levels would have been just as bad if they had stayed.And you're making the assumption that they wouldn't have... The facts we have is that they got a ton of cash, and underperformed. Some how that would have been different if they were Sabres? I find it hilarious how your usual logic only applies when it benefits your cause. If we brought in players from other teams and paid a bunch of cash and their production fell off, you'd have put them in 9th circle of hell by now. But since it might appear that the Sabres did something relatively smart, that just can't be, because then you'd have nothing to ***** about.

Nighthawk
07-01-2009, 08:02 AM
And you're making the assumption that they wouldn't have... The facts we have is that they got a ton of cash, and underperformed. Some how that would have been different if they were Sabres? I find it hilarious how your usual logic only applies when it benefits your cause. If we brought in players from other teams and paid a bunch of cash and their production fell off, you'd have put them in 9th circle of hell by now. But since it might appear that the Sabres did something relatively smart, that just can't be, because then you'd have nothing to ***** about.

Just because they did not perform...does not mean the Sabres "did something right." They still let a team be torn apart and are still in a pretty sad state. I'm pretty sure that nobody felt that any of the guys the Sabres let go were worth what they got on the open market, but they also could have be signed for less if the Sabres would have done their job correctly.

BlackMetalNinja
07-01-2009, 08:06 AM
Just because they did not perform...does not mean the Sabres "did something right." They still let a team be torn apart and are still in a pretty sad state. I'm pretty sure that nobody felt that any of the guys the Sabres let go were worth what they got on the open market, but they also could have be signed for less if the Sabres would have done their job correctly.Well the last part is your opinion, that's pretty hard to prove factually. You don't really have a true way of knowing they would have turned down that much money to stay. IF they could have gotten them at a much cheaper price, sure, they should have done so, no argument here.

But Op's argument that they "might have produced at a high level had they stayed" is certainly no less flawed than my argument that they wouldn't have, no matter what he tries to paint it as. The point was their production has dropped significantly since leaving and getting huge paydays, and I'm not all that upset that they aren't failing on our dime.

rbochan
07-01-2009, 09:34 AM
GP
2006-07 SLOU, NHL 23
2007-08 SLOU, NHL 66
2008-09 SLOU, NHL 69
http://nhlpa.com/WebStats/PlayerBiography.asp?ID=3765

So he played more games than Rivet, and perhaps for half the $$.

win
win

chernobylwraiths
07-01-2009, 09:45 AM
I think McKee will get minimum 2 mil a season and maybe up to 2.5.

THATHURMANATOR
07-01-2009, 09:55 AM
you're making the faulty assumption that their production levels would have been just as bad if they had stayed.
Briere went to just as talented team offensively speaking.

chernobylwraiths
07-01-2009, 10:53 AM
Briere went to just as talented team offensively speaking.

Taking away Briere's first four seasons in Phoenix where he only had one season playing a lot, Briere has scored at about a .9 points per game clip.

Also, add the leadership factor. Briere went to a Philly team that was one of the worst in the NHL. In one year, he helped take them to the conference championship and to the playoffs last year.

Not saying Briere is great, but he is very good. They don't like him in Philly because he isn't a superstar nor his he big and physical.

JD
07-01-2009, 01:03 PM
My buddy is McKee's exterminator.. maybe he can get some news for us! Lol

trapezeus
07-01-2009, 04:14 PM
i don't think op's point is if they stayed, they would have played well for us. I think the point is, they were good players that we brought in and cultivated a team where these players excelled. Then we let them go and didn't get replacements. we didn't get to the playoffs without them. So wouldn't it have been better to try to keep the team in place and let them excel in their way as opposed to treating them as plug and play stop gaps and let the team fail.

who knows, the sabres have a good eye at bringing in young talent, but if they end up on Ruff's sh(t list, then they never really develop.

OpIv37
07-01-2009, 04:36 PM
And you're making the assumption that they wouldn't have... The facts we have is that they got a ton of cash, and underperformed. Some how that would have been different if they were Sabres? I find it hilarious how your usual logic only applies when it benefits your cause. If we brought in players from other teams and paid a bunch of cash and their production fell off, you'd have put them in 9th circle of hell by now. But since it might appear that the Sabres did something relatively smart, that just can't be, because then you'd have nothing to ***** about.

Two years without playoffs.... how exactly did they do something smart?

BlackMetalNinja
07-01-2009, 04:58 PM
Two years without playoffs.... how exactly did they do something smart?What day is it? I can't keep up with the argument of the week. Let's see, before it was "just getting to the playoffs" wasn't good enough, today it's "we could have magically paid these guys so much less than other teams were willing and kept them, and made the playoffs, that would have been fine", what's tomorrow? We didn't get the job done with these guys and they commanded a ton of money on the market, if we'd have paid them, we'd be in cap hell and would be relying on 3-4 players alone to get the job done by themselves, when they already showed they couldn't quite manage. So we let them go, they got their huge paydays, and haven't lived up to their contracts... we tried to get younger and keep some sort of money beyond a year or two, and it hasn't been enough to get us back to where we were yet.

It's clear that what worked in this league 3-4 years ago, doesn't really work so well now, and we're a little late in figuring that out. We need to re-tool in some spots to add a different dimension to our game, and they're slowly doing that, bringing in some tougher, not so flashy guys like Montador and Rivet. The problem lies in the fact that there are only a handful of guys on the market that could really make the sort of big splash that might pay off for this team, and they're getting far too much money for us to take on at this point.

OpIv37
07-01-2009, 05:21 PM
What day is it? I can't keep up with the argument of the week. Let's see, before it was "just getting to the playoffs" wasn't good enough, today it's "we could have magically paid these guys so much less than other teams were willing and kept them, and made the playoffs, that would have been fine", what's tomorrow? We didn't get the job done with these guys and they commanded a ton of money on the market, if we'd have paid them, we'd be in cap hell and would be relying on 3-4 players alone to get the job done by themselves, when they already showed they couldn't quite manage. So we let them go, they got their huge paydays, and haven't lived up to their contracts... we tried to get younger and keep some sort of money beyond a year or two, and it hasn't been enough to get us back to where we were yet.

It's clear that what worked in this league 3-4 years ago, doesn't really work so well now, and we're a little late in figuring that out. We need to re-tool in some spots to add a different dimension to our game, and they're slowly doing that, bringing in some tougher, not so flashy guys like Montador and Rivet. The problem lies in the fact that there are only a handful of guys on the market that could really make the sort of big splash that might pay off for this team, and they're getting far too much money for us to take on at this point.

I didn't say we could have magically kept them for less money.

The facts are that with these guys we went to the conf finals two years in a row. Without them we can't even make the playoffs.

Would we have won the Cup if we kept them? I doubt it. Would we have been much better than we were over the last few years? Hell yes.

Oooohhh the FO didn't overpay the wrong guys? Well, so what? They didn't pay the right guys either. This is that "accepting mediocrity" that I'm talking about. "Let's praise the FO for being half right!" Please.

BlackMetalNinja
07-01-2009, 06:32 PM
I didn't say we could have magically kept them for less money.

The facts are that with these guys we went to the conf finals two years in a row. Without them we can't even make the playoffs.

Would we have won the Cup if we kept them? I doubt it. Would we have been much better than we were over the last few years? Hell yes.

Oooohhh the FO didn't overpay the wrong guys? Well, so what? They didn't pay the right guys either. This is that "accepting mediocrity" that I'm talking about. "Let's praise the FO for being half right!" Please.So who are the "right guys" we didn't pay?

OpIv37
07-01-2009, 06:53 PM
So who are the "right guys" we didn't pay?

I don't know, but unlike the Sabres' FO, I don't make millions to figure it out. If I had more time, I could go back and research the FA's from two years ago and come up with a guess, but even then it would be speculation because there would be no way to know if I was right or not.

The results speak for themselves.