PDA

View Full Version : So, is Maybin gonna sign in time for camp?

The Juice Is Loose
06-30-2009, 09:49 PM
Camp isn't far away anymore and I haven't heard a word about it.

Seems like we'd be due for it since we haven't had a holdout since Donte did it.

Also seems like players who hold out never ever bounce back from it. Rookies I mean. It's probably not a 100% correlation but I bet at least 80% of rookies that hold out end up being total busts.

There are holdouts every year. IDK much about Maybin as a player but as a human he seems awfully arrogant to me. I'm sure he has a super agent. I kinda smell a holdout.

And, yeah, I kinda smell a bust.

I'm psyched for this season. But I don't feel that Maybin is gonna be the reason it's good if its good.

OpIv37
06-30-2009, 09:53 PM
I'd love to dog the FO for not getting this done, but I can't. It's how the NFL does business. Everyone waits until the first guy signs then everyone else uses his position and where he was picked in the draft as a benchmark to sign their guys. The teams don't want to blink first because they don't want to overpay and the players/agents don't want to blink first because they don't want to be underpaid.

Eventually, someone gives in and then there will be a whole slew of signings. It wouldn't surprise me to see Maybin missing the start of camp just because that's just how it is.

The Juice Is Loose
06-30-2009, 10:30 PM
Well, in my opinion it's unacceptable. The draft is in April, camp is in July. They have 2 months. The first guy was signed the day before the draft. So 2 should be done, 3, 4 and so on.

It's stupid. Just stupid. If I was a player that just got drafted I would make my agent have it done. Period. If you live up to your potential you'll make more money that way anyway. Not only that but all the money in the world couldn't replace the glory of being the best.

The rookie payscale needs to get done. Sadly I have a feeling we'll see a lockout before we see that.

yordad
06-30-2009, 11:21 PM
You smell it? Does it smell like water?

jamze132
07-01-2009, 05:03 AM
I vote for the lockout. Rookies are getting paid more than veterans who have proven themselves and have made Pro Bowls. It's ridiculous.

psubills62
07-01-2009, 07:54 AM

Seems like we'd be due for it since we haven't had a holdout since Donte did it.

Also seems like players who hold out never ever bounce back from it. Rookies I mean. It's probably not a 100% correlation but I bet at least 80% of rookies that hold out end up being total busts.

There are holdouts every year. IDK much about Maybin as a player but as a human he seems awfully arrogant to me. I'm sure he has a super agent. I kinda smell a holdout.

I'm psyched for this season. But I don't feel that Maybin is gonna be the reason it's good if its good.

I'm not sure why you're concerned. We also haven't heard a peep about Lankster being signed. In fact, our whole draft class is unsigned. Maybe they're all holding out?

It seems recently as though that's how the Bills do things - wait until a couple days before camp, then sign all of their draft picks. I think Lynch or Poz missed a day of TC, McKelvin may have missed one, etc.

psubills62
07-01-2009, 07:58 AM
I'd love to dog the FO for not getting this done, but I can't. It's how the NFL does business. Everyone waits until the first guy signs then everyone else uses his position and where he was picked in the draft as a benchmark to sign their guys. The teams don't want to blink first because they don't want to overpay and the players/agents don't want to blink first because they don't want to be underpaid.

Eventually, someone gives in and then there will be a whole slew of signings. It wouldn't surprise me to see Maybin missing the start of camp just because that's just how it is.

The thing that always bothers me is that obviously not every team works this way. Some teams are proactive and work to set the market for rookies. Granted, most teams are like the Bills and wait until a lot of players are signed and the parameters for their own rookie contracts are clear.

However, teams like the Jets, Bears, etc. seem to get their rookies signed very early. Maybe those teams end up giving up a lot of money, but those teams also set the market for other teams. If the Bills worked to set the market instead of waiting for the market to decide their rookie contracts, then maybe they could get a better deal with a contract.

It's just speculation on my part, but it has bothered me the past few years when CB keeps saying that the contract parameters need to be set, etc. It's apparent that some teams need to be proactive to sign rookies early, or else no one would sign because no contract parameters would be set. Just a pet peeve of mine. I actually sent CB the question asking why they aren't more proactive in that regard, but I guess he'd rather answer the 20th question on if we'll sign this or that free agent OLB.

Nighthawk
07-01-2009, 08:04 AM

Please explain to me how he is arrogant as a human being?

The Juice Is Loose
07-01-2009, 08:51 AM
the way he acts. the way he talks. he seems like he thinks he's a hot shot.

i just don't really think he's gonna do much. its not me vs the bills its me vs this years draft. it was him or orakpo, i understand why, and i didn't want either.

maybin just seems to carry this sense of accomplishment and entitlement. with the way he talks in interviews and such. i think too much is being made of who he works out with.

i just think he needs to shutup and get to camp on time. but i don't think either will happen.

The Spaz
07-01-2009, 08:57 AM
the way he acts. the way he talks. he seems like he thinks he's a hot shot.

i just don't really think he's gonna do much. its not me vs the bills its me vs this years draft. it was him or orakpo, i understand why, and i didn't want either.

maybin just seems to carry this sense of accomplishment and entitlement. with the way he talks in interviews and such. i think too much is being made of who he works out with.

i just think he needs to shutup and get to camp on time. but i don't think either will happen.

Show me an arrogant quote.

The Juice Is Loose
07-01-2009, 09:09 AM
Dude its an opinion. He said something one time like "Oh i have some appearance to make here and some appearance to make there"...he just think he's a big deal.

I don't care if you agree with me. Let's see if he gets to camp on time.

WeAreArthurMoates
07-01-2009, 09:50 AM
However, teams like the Jets, Bears, etc. seem to get their rookies signed very early. Maybe those teams end up giving up a lot of money, but those teams also set the market for other teams. If the Bills worked to set the market instead of waiting for the market to decide their rookie contracts, then maybe they could get a better deal with a contract

It's not really the money they're giving up it's the years on the contract. The Bears and Jets are willing to give shorter year deals to rookies, most teams are not. In fact, Sanchez is the first ever top 5 pick who plays qb to sign only a 5 year deal.

TigerJ
07-01-2009, 01:38 PM
The salary that rookies are offered is very much dependent on where they are picked. When players start to sign with certain teams, the teams whose players were picked just before and after the signing player look very closely at the yearly compensation. Most agents know that they have very little bargaining power for rookies when it comes to money. Buffalo, BTW rarely does any real early signings. They tend to wait until the salary framework is pretty well established.

WeAreMarshawn is right. Most of the negotiating relates to length of contract, at least for the top rookies. The top rookies want shorter contracts because they believe they will be able to cash in big time when they hit free agency, and the sooner the better, especially with the CBA being dumped by the owners. Teams conversely want to lock up their top rookies for as long as they can. They reason that they will be overpaying most rookies for their first couple years in the league and want some time at the back end of the contract to recoup some of their investment.

TigerJ
07-03-2009, 08:17 AM
One worrisome circumstance is the earliness of the start of Buffalo's training camp versus the rest of the NFL. Why is that worrisome, you ask? Buffalo tends to wait for other players to be signed so the framework for contracts is in place. However, for other teams the urgency to get top players signed won't set in until after Buffalo goes to camp. The framework for Maybin's (and Eric Woods') contract may not be in place. If Buffalo stays true to form, they may not get it done.