PDA

View Full Version : Bring in WNY Players...

BuffaloRanger
07-01-2009, 02:45 AM
File this under "it will never happen" but wouldn't the Sabres be much more "easier" to cheer for with local players. Look at the fan response Kaleta gets.

Plus, I a firm believer that players with local ties dig deeper when the game is on the line.

That said...

Trade for Brian Gionta - Rochester
Trade for Nick Foligno - Buffalo
Trade for Lee Stempniak - Buffalo.

Imagine Nick, Lee, and Kaleta, an all Buffalo line, starting every home game... how cool would that be?

Again these aren't huge stars, but might add some heart to the lineup.

SabreEleven
07-01-2009, 03:02 AM
LW would be on life support.

chernobylwraiths
07-01-2009, 07:14 AM
If you were going to get anybody, it should start with Kane. Brooks Orpik wouldn't be bad either.

Crisis
07-01-2009, 07:47 AM
where someone's from doesn't determine how much heart they play with

being from buffalo shouldn't earn anyone extra brownie points...productivity should.

would it be cool to have some western new yorkers on the sabres? yeah. the difference is i would rather win with a bunch of canadians and euros on the team than lose with a bunch of locals.

THATHURMANATOR
07-01-2009, 08:01 AM
where someone's from doesn't determine how much heart they play with

being from buffalo shouldn't earn anyone extra brownie points...productivity should.

would it be cool to have some western new yorkers on the sabres? yeah. the difference is i would rather win with a bunch of canadians and euros on the team than lose with a bunch of locals.
Thing is all the WNY players do have heart. It is built in when you are born in Buffalo.

Isn't Gionta a star player though.

chernobylwraiths
07-01-2009, 08:23 AM
Thing is all the WNY players do have heart. It is built in when you are born in Buffalo.

Isn't Gionta a star player though.

He's good but I don't think a "star". He's little too, so he would fit right in.

THATHURMANATOR
07-01-2009, 08:53 AM
Yeah I remember his 48 goal year but hasn't been near that in the last 3.

Crisis
07-01-2009, 09:02 AM
gionta's a 20 goal scorer with one fluke 48 goal season

THATHURMANATOR
07-01-2009, 09:05 AM
gionta's a 20 goal scorer with one fluke 48 goal season
Looks that way. I hadn't watched him too closely. The 48 goal season stood out and I assumed he was in the 30s in other years. BOY WAS I WRONG.

rbochan
07-01-2009, 09:32 AM
...Look at the fan response Kaleta gets...

I think Kaleta gets that response because he hits anything that moves. He's a passionate player - that gains response (IMO) more-so than being a local boy - not that that hurts.

Nighthawk
07-01-2009, 10:51 AM
I think Kaleta gets that response because he hits anything that moves. He's a passionate player - that gains response (IMO) more-so than being a local boy - not that that hurts.

Kaleta gets cheers because the rest of this team aggravates the f**k out of everybody, so anybody showing heart is going to get a huge ovation. The player could be from anywhere...but as long as he hustles, hits everything and is willing to fight...he will get a great reaction from the fans. It does not matter if he is from Buffalo or not.

JD
07-01-2009, 12:57 PM
Patty Kane would love to play in the blue and gold! He didn't sign a multi-year yet did he? I believe his contract ends next year...

THATHURMANATOR
07-01-2009, 01:52 PM
My buddy is a huge Hawks fan for some reason and he reads up on them constantly. He says there is major concerns with the Chicago fanbase that Kane will sign with Buffalo when he is a RFA. However my buddy doesn't think he will ever get to RFA.

chernobylwraiths
07-01-2009, 02:04 PM
My buddy is a huge Hawks fan for some reason and he reads up on them constantly. He says there is major concerns with the Chicago fanbase that Kane will sign with Buffalo when he is a RFA. However my buddy doesn't think he will ever get to RFA.

I can't see Darcy or the Sabres throwing gobs of money on a RFA after the *****ing they did when it was done to Vanek.

THATHURMANATOR
07-01-2009, 03:23 PM
I can't see Darcy or the Sabres throwing gobs of money on a RFA after the *****ing they did when it was done to Vanek.
That was a couple years ago the whole landscape has changed in that regard. RFA's routinely get offers now.

BuffaloRanger
07-01-2009, 08:33 PM
I was at Kaleta's first home game a couple years and the fact he was from Angola was definitely exciting to the crowd.

WNY has produced some good players over the years - none of which have played for the Sabres. It's like they go out of their way to avoid them. Has a WNY player ever scored more then 5 goals in a season for the Sabres? Connelly is from Syracuse, that's close I guess.

Sabres could have made a run at Orpik last year but didn't. Kane of course is the dream player - a #1 overall pick. It's funny, the Sabres passed on Brooks Orpik and Nick Foligno but added their less talented brothers to the organization.