PDA

View Full Version : 23 - Who becomes a playmaker on defense?

madness
07-01-2009, 11:37 AM
Chris Brown, Lead Journalist
Posted Jul 1, 2009

Buffalo’s defense made a wealth of improvements in their play last season, but there was one glaring problem that coordinator Perry Fewell saw right away. A lack of big plays.
In 2008 Buffalo tied a franchise low in interceptions (10), managed just 10 fumble recoveries and ranked 27th in the league in takeaway-giveaway margin at minus-8. The Bills also had their lowest sack total since 1979 with just 24 last year.
“We did not have a lot of sacks and we had some pressures and we had a lot of balls on the turf that we did not capture,” Fewell said. “We did not take advantage of that opportunity to get the ball. That’s definitely going to be an emphasis for us.”
Emphasizing it and having the talented players to make it happen however, are two different things. Fewell recognizes this.
“I’ve said often times to my staff in the offseason that we need more playmakers on our defense,” he said. “When the ball is in the air or on the turf do we have a person that creates turnovers for us to put us in a better position?”
Fewell is hoping it’s been added via the draft or a young veteran is ready to blossom this fall. Either way the takeaway numbers have to increase sharply if Buffalo is to contend for a playoff berth in 2009...

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/23---who-becomes-a-playmaker-on-defense/d9c52cfa-1191-4537-a175-6712597a035a

justasportsfan
07-01-2009, 11:54 AM
Whitner!!!!

madness
07-01-2009, 11:56 AM
Whitner!!!!

:rofl: Instigator

justasportsfan
07-01-2009, 12:02 PM
:rofl: Instigator
I really think he'll be a beast this season as long as they don't have to keep moving him around between FS in 1 week and SS the next week.

ServoBillieves
07-01-2009, 12:03 PM
Even though he was the best last year, Kawika will probly still be #1. Surprises I would expect Corner, Byrd, or Wilson to step up.

yordad
07-01-2009, 12:04 PM
If Maybin can manage just a half dozen or more sacks and 15-20 quarterback pressures this season opposite established playmaker <nobr>Aaron Schobelhttp://www.buffalobills.com/assets/img/icon-article-link.gif (http://www.buffalobills.com/team/roster/aaron-schobel/d95551cd-2385-484c-92a9-d402ae6bee39/)</nobr>, the top pick could provide a one-two pass rush combination not seen since Bruce Smith and Bryce Paup were coming off opposite sides.
Um.... does this seem unlikely to anyone else?

cocamide
07-01-2009, 12:08 PM
Let's see Poz do it.

Hopefully Youboty can gain some weight and stay healthy. What's the status on him?

madness
07-01-2009, 12:14 PM
I really think he'll be a beast this season as long as they don't have to keep moving him around between FS in 1 week and SS the next week.

I agree but it's already looking like they'll be moving him around again depending on if Byrd plays well enough to crack the starting lineup. At least he shouldn't be playing CB much this year.

madness
07-01-2009, 12:15 PM
Out of the players mentioned in the article, I think Poz and McKelvin have the most potential this year to be our biggest playmakers on D.

WeAreArthurMoates
07-01-2009, 12:17 PM
Ya and the article states veterans like McGee, Mitchell and Schobel are already playmakers. McKelvin is the obvious answer here, I think he makes a Revis leap and will be our best defensive player.

justasportsfan
07-01-2009, 12:37 PM
I agree but it's already looking like they'll be moving him around again depending on if Byrd plays well enough to crack the starting lineup. At least he shouldn't be playing CB much this year.

It's all good as long as Byrd or someone stays in that spot all year long which allows Whitner to focus on one position.

madness
07-01-2009, 12:40 PM
It's all good as long as Byrd or someone stays in that spot all year long which allows Whitner to focus on one position.

Amen. Some people may have a problem with a #8 pick playing SS but not me if he does the position justice and helps our porous run defense.

Typ0
07-01-2009, 01:19 PM
our team will have the same problem this year as last. Teams will be able to run all over us which means they will need to take less risks and there will be less plays to be made. Also, the backfield will be asked to make too many tackles that should be made at the LOS again.

Pinkerton Security
07-01-2009, 01:23 PM
Even though he was the best last year, Kawika will probly still be #1. Surprises I would expect Corner, Byrd, or Wilson to step up.

Kawika did have some big plays, but other days he seemed either lost or not trying, and was completely invisible. I hope that doesnt happen this year.

HHURRICANE
07-01-2009, 01:28 PM
Wow. It all starts with the pass rush and we added Maybin. More of the same in 2009 so I'm not sure what Fewell is expecting.

THATHURMANATOR
07-01-2009, 02:35 PM
Why start that statement with Wow?

EDS
07-01-2009, 04:03 PM
McKelvin is probably the best hope for the Bills D in terms of someone stepping up to become a real playmaker. I expect him to get toasted a few times but he should be good for 4-6 interceptions - assuming he starts.

I don't see Poz as a big play guy, more a London Fletcher type.

Would love it if Maybin had a big year but I agree with others in thinking that he will take at least a year before making waves.

Luisito23
07-01-2009, 04:20 PM
McKelvin has defensive playmaker written all over him.

Hemlepp53
07-01-2009, 06:46 PM
Why start that statement with Wow?

That's great... I love it.. you never sleep on this ****.