PDA

View Full Version : Sabres sign Steve Montadour

Dr. Lecter
07-01-2009, 01:38 PM
Defensemen to a 2 year deal worth ~1.5 million per.

Nice deal.

SabreEleven
07-01-2009, 01:48 PM
This ranks right up there with Jesus walking on water. Darcy signed somebody early.

THATHURMANATOR
07-01-2009, 01:48 PM
Yeah Solid move for once.

chernobylwraiths
07-01-2009, 01:51 PM
It doesn't suck.

SabreEleven
07-01-2009, 01:52 PM
ESPN is reporting that the Blackhawks signed Hossa to a 12 year contract...they keep ****ing themselves...damn.

Dr. Lecter
07-01-2009, 01:54 PM
12 year, 5.2 million per.

'tarded, considering they have Toews and Kane coming up after next season.

bigbub2352
07-01-2009, 01:59 PM
I will take Steve he is better than teppo paetsch tallinder and lydman and we got him on the cheap hence darcy jumping all over this signing, now bring back Mckee

Nighthawk
07-01-2009, 02:02 PM
12 year, 5.2 million per.

'tarded, considering they have Toews and Kane coming up after next season.

True, but a steal at 5.2 per year.

chernobylwraiths
07-01-2009, 02:03 PM
I bet the last 5 years are at vastly lower salaries.

Nighthawk
07-01-2009, 02:06 PM
I bet the last 5 years are at vastly lower salaries.

They are...read about it on TSN. There is no doubt he is a hell of player...I just don't see how they'll be able to keep him, Toews and Kane?

The King
07-01-2009, 02:14 PM
LOL, Montador.... Good Luck. This guy was an absolute liability in the post season, but due to Hunwicks injury we were forced to play him through the entire post season. The only thing solid about him is he's cheap.

Nighthawk
07-01-2009, 02:19 PM
LOL, Montador.... Good Luck. This guy was an absolute liability in the post season, but due to Hunwicks injury we were forced to play him through the entire post season. The only thing solid about him is he's cheap.

This is the ONLY reason this organization ever signs anybody.

THATHURMANATOR
07-01-2009, 02:29 PM
Typical line from a fan losing a player.

He is tough and decent defensively. And cheap.

Nighthawk
07-01-2009, 02:31 PM

He is tough and decent defensively. And cheap.

He's just OK...nothing great...he's a signing, that's about it. Does he improve this team, not really. More needs to be done.

THATHURMANATOR
07-01-2009, 02:32 PM
He's just OK...nothing great...he's a signing, that's about it. Does he improve this team, not really. More needs to be done.
Yeah I think everyone can agree to this.

The King
07-01-2009, 02:35 PM

He is tough and decent defensively. And cheap.Hardly a Boston Bruin, we got him at the trade deadline and let him walk in the offseason. This is not a Bruin we're talking about here.

Nighthawk
07-01-2009, 02:36 PM
Yeah I think everyone can agree to this.

My fear is that Darcy Dimwit thinks this is a definite upgrade and then stops in his attempt to acquire some ACTUAL talent. I have zero faith in this guy!

THATHURMANATOR
07-01-2009, 02:42 PM
Hardly a Boston Bruin, we got him at the trade deadline and let him walk in the offseason. This is not a Bruin we're talking about here.
Your assesment is in the eyes of a Bruins fan for his play as a Bruin.

THATHURMANATOR
07-01-2009, 02:42 PM
My fear as that Darcy Dimwit thinks this is a definite upgrade and then stops in his attempt to acquire some ACTUAL talent. I have zero faith in this guy!
Well I don't think he will sign anyone else if that is what you want.

Nighthawk
07-01-2009, 02:49 PM
Well I don't think he will sign anyone else if that is what you want.

I know and this team is still not good. I see on NHL.com that he has a press conference scheduled for 4:30pm to announce this "big" signing. What a joke.

The King
07-01-2009, 02:49 PM
Your assesment is in the eyes of a Bruins fan for his play as a Bruin.Right which to date is his most recent play.... which sucks.

I dont only root against they Sabres when they play Boston, I know so many of you guys who do root for them and I want to see them do well. I wouldnt hate on you guys, Montador just isnt that good.

THATHURMANATOR
07-01-2009, 02:54 PM
Right which to date is his most recent play.... which sucks.

I dont only root against they Sabres when they play Boston, I know so many of you guys who do root for them and I want to see them do well. I wouldnt hate on you guys, Montador just isnt that good.
I know all about Montador and what he is as a player. I have watched him for awhile now. He brings an aspect that this team is lacking immensly which is toughness. He isn't going to get many points and his isnt going to make tons of mistakes. He is what he is but I am happy with this signing.

rbochan
07-01-2009, 02:58 PM
I'm suddenly craving some creamsicles.

THATHURMANATOR
07-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Right which to date is his most recent play.... which sucks.

By the way he was a Plus 5, with a goal and 2 assists in the playoffs what did you expect out of the guy?

OpIv37
07-01-2009, 09:06 PM
Montador was +17 as a defenseman- I'll take it.

Basically, we traded Spacek, who's big but won't use his size, for Montador, who's tougher. Is it a huge upgrade? No, but it's an upgrade.

BlackMetalNinja
07-01-2009, 09:23 PM

Basically, we traded Spacek, who's big but won't use his size, for Montador, who's tougher. Is it a huge upgrade? No, but it's an upgrade.That's about the best assessment of it. He adds an element we need, he's solid and not really a liability, and he comes pretty cheap.

Philagape
07-01-2009, 09:38 PM
Championship!

SabreEleven
07-01-2009, 09:40 PM
Championship!

:spit: Shut up.

clumping platelets
07-01-2009, 10:42 PM
He fits a need of this team........more physicality on the blueline

I like this move :up:

SABURZFAN
07-02-2009, 09:21 AM
the Sabres need some grit at the defenseman position. i think it's a good signing. :up:

Ebenezer
07-02-2009, 09:57 AM

Basically, we traded Spacek, who's big but won't use his size, for Montador, who's tougher. Is it a huge upgrade? No, but it's an upgrade.
Somebody call Patti...the world is ending.

Mr. Pink
07-02-2009, 01:26 PM
Montadour is a good signing for the Sabres.

A tough gritty blue liner, something the organization has clearly lacked for years.

Does it spell championship? No. But it is a move in the right direction.

About the Hossa deal to Chicago...great pickup for the 'Hawks...I still think it's hillarious that Hossa left Pittsburgh because he wanted to win the cup and disappeared in the finals...BUT...he's an excellent player and at 5.2 a year it's an easily manageable salary number where they can still keep Toews and Kane in the future.

Provides a solid nucleus for them to throw interchangeable parts in year after year, much like what Pittsburgh does.

In the NHL all you need is one truly dominant line and then 2 other average to good lines to be a perennial contender. Along with an average to good to goalie.

JD
07-03-2009, 10:16 AM
True, but a steal at 5.2 per year.
It's front loaded though, so he'll make like 7.5 a year for the first 8 years.. How the hell are they going to sign all the young kids? Especially with Campbell there sucking more space up.. KANE TO BUFFALO e6

Dr. Lecter
07-03-2009, 09:52 PM

I don't see him as an upgrade to Spacek at all. Montadour is a nice player and is tough and physical, but he is not better than Spacek especially if one considers Spacek's offensive ability.

He might be a better value (and is with the way Montreal overpaid Spacek) but he is not the better player.

Ebenezer
07-03-2009, 10:28 PM
I don't see him as an upgrade to Spacek at all. Montadour is a nice player and is tough and physical, but he is not better than Spacek especially if one considers Spacek's offensive ability.

He might be a better value (and is with the way Montreal overpaid Spacek) but he is not the better player.
Spacek is also at a point in his career where his talent could slide quickly.

rbochan
07-04-2009, 09:27 AM
Do they have Tim Horton's donuts in Montreal?

OpIv37
07-04-2009, 10:57 PM

What offensive ability? You mean that cannon slapshot that always boomed loudly but harmlessly off the glass behind the net?

He only had 8 goals- he did add 37 assists but that was mainly due to being on the PP unit. This team needs toughness a lot more than it needs 8 goals.

clumping platelets
07-06-2009, 02:29 AM
We still desperately need 1 or 2 physical C/F types. I would love to see Travis Moen added. Cannot go with status quo on the blueline. Montador was a start, still some excellent hockey players available in FA. We have assets that can be dealt.............just do it Darcy!

Ebenezer
07-06-2009, 07:14 AM
We still desperately need 1 or 2 physical C/F types. I would love to see Travis Moen added. Cannot go with status quo on the blueline. Montador was a start, still some excellent hockey players available in FA. We have assets that can be dealt.............just do it Darcy!
Tell TG to start spending less buying off politicians and more on his hockey team.