PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article I came across

BlackMetalNinja
07-01-2009, 09:19 PM
http://hockeyrhetoric.com/2009/06/30/regiers-complacency-is-cause-for-concern/

I think this really highlights the main problems this team faces at the moment, the following were of particular interest:

The Sabres dirty little secret is the fact that they currently have a boat load of money committed to their best players. Heading into next year, the Sabres have seven players with salary cap numbers of 3.5 million dollars or higher. Seven!
And that is why I argued that re-signing some of those guys the past few years with the huge deals they commanded would have made things so much worse...

If the Sabres should decide to just clear cap space, they fortunately have some pretty talented prospects that have the ability to fill in the void. Guys like Mike Weber and Tim Kennedy, in particular, can step in and contribute while not costing the Sabres much. If the Sabres dump salary though, it should only be done so that a target free agent can fit under the budget.

It’s the same old rhetoric from the Sabres; they’ll insist that Hecht is a good player and that’s why he’s on the roster but fans don’t want to hear that. Everyone knows that by moving Hecht, they create options for bringing in players that can help the Sabres take the next step forward. The Regier is too concerned with getting value from the players they have under contract. After having a few good players leave the team during the free agency period with no value in return, that thinking seemed to have intensified. The fact that Maxim Afinogenov was on the Sabres roster in 2008-2009 is testament to that.

Clearly, the Sabres need more toughness and better leadership but they will not be able to add a player like that this summer unless the team decides to dump some of their players with big salary cap figures.

Nighthawk
07-01-2009, 09:31 PM
http://hockeyrhetoric.com/2009/06/30/regiers-complacency-is-cause-for-concern/

I think this really highlights the main problems this team faces at the moment, the following were of particular interest:

And that is why I argued that re-signing some of those guys the past few years with the huge deals they commanded would have made things so much worse...

They need to dump Hecht...he is hated by most fans and nobody wants him on this roster. He is keeping the team from moving forward and they need to do anything possible to get rid of his salary.

THATHURMANATOR
07-02-2009, 10:18 AM
I agree get rid of Hecht.

What a fall for that guy though. Just a couple years ago he was talked about as one of the most important people on the roster. What happened to him?

Nighthawk
07-02-2009, 10:53 AM
I agree get rid of Hecht.

What a fall for that guy though. Just a couple years ago he was talked about as one of the most important people on the roster. What happened to him?

I've never been a fan of his and he really wasn't that good before...mostly hyped up by people and the organization. He's never been great in his own zone, eventhough some thought he was. He's always been soft on the puck and could be check off it way to easily and I always remember him giving the puck away A LOT in his own zone. So, I think it was more perception then reality that he actually was a good defensive player.

THATHURMANATOR
07-02-2009, 11:33 AM
I've never been a fan of his and he really wasn't that good before...mostly hyped up by people and the organization. He's never been great in his own zone, eventhough some thought he was. He's always been soft on the puck and could be check off it way to easily and I always remember him giving the puck away A LOT in his own zone. So, I think it was more perception then reality that he actually was a good defensive player.
I don't disagree with this but he was much better than last year, where he was plain horrendous in both ends.

bigbub2352
07-02-2009, 11:58 AM
It all comes down to Ownership and Management being a joke, made way to many mistakes, and missed way to much in the early parts of the drafts

anyone can argue players and contracts but the fact of the matter is everyone around us in our division again got better tuffer and bigger and we sign a 6th Dman on the cheap
same **** different day if you ask me
I cant remember a roster i hated more than last yrs and this yrs so far
and i have been a fan for 20 yrs

THATHURMANATOR
07-02-2009, 02:27 PM
It all comes down to Ownership and Management being a joke, made way to many mistakes, and missed way to much in the early parts of the drafts

anyone can argue players and contracts but the fact of the matter is everyone around us in our division again got better tuffer and bigger and we sign a 6th Dman on the cheap
same **** different day if you ask me
I cant remember a roster i hated more than last yrs and this yrs so far
and i have been a fan for 20 yrs
Montreal went off but no one else in the division really did.
Montreal also got rid of a bunch of good players as well.

Reiger did say that he would work through trade and not Free agency. Will he follow through with that who knows.

bigbub2352
07-02-2009, 03:32 PM
Montreal went off but no one else in the division really did.
Montreal also got rid of a bunch of good players as well.

Reiger did say that he would work through trade and not Free agency. Will he follow through with that who knows.
who knows is right
he sucks
no one will convince me otherwise
way to much error for him to have a job

THATHURMANATOR
07-02-2009, 03:43 PM
who knows is right
he sucks
no one will convince me otherwise
way to much error for him to have a job
I dont know what to think about Reiger.

I need to know for sure how much restraint he has from management on spending before I can make a true judgement.